Potsill Insulation (Keg and Column)

Pot still design and discussion

Potsill Insulation (Keg and Column)

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:24 pm

I (now) have a (2.5" copper) potsill that runs off a 50l ss keg boiler heated by an LPG burner.

So.....(no doubt, on a personal note), what is the best readily-available/acquired and preferably-inexpensive options for temperature insulating the keg and column for a strip/spirit run please?
My focus is safety and efficiency BTW.

:whistle: Happy to include insulation suitable if there is an electric heatsource too, of course .. its just not my focus ;-)
Frank

Re: Potsill Insulation (Keg and Column)

Postby maheel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:35 pm

cut down 44Gal drum over the top with air holes for burner air ?

drum will get f'ing hot but...
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:45 pm

P1311231.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:04 pm

Question was
what is the best readily-available/acquired and preferably-inexpensive options for temperature insulating the keg and column for a strip/spirit run please?

good answer :laughing-rolling:
Frank

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:07 pm

The pic explains it all but I'll type it out for you.

44 gallon drum for boiler shroud & don't bother with insulating a pot still column :doh:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:09 pm

Frank wrote:Question was
what is the best readily-available/acquired and preferably-inexpensive options for temperature insulating the keg and column for a strip/spirit run please?

good answer :laughing-rolling:

Nice quick edit Frank :snooty:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:13 pm

Hey frank

also you may not need to insulate the pot head ? Not many seem top bother with pots ? i dont on my stripper.

just the boiler wold give you the biggest efficiency gains in gas use.
maheel

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:17 pm

maheel wrote:Hey frank

also you may not need to insulate the pot head ? Not many seem top bother with pots ? i dont on my stripper.

just the boiler wold give you the biggest efficiency gains in gas use.

Also with the drum shroud set up the way I had mine the handles in the keg direct the heat towards the column as it leaves the shroud, so insulating would probably do SFA ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby maheel » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:20 pm

Mcstill

could you drop it down to below the handles and avoid that issue a little. Maybe something to fill the gap and make a flue with damper out the back to direct heat etc ?
maheel

Postby Frank » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:22 pm

:clap: thank you (great service, questions answered while-u-wait) :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So...would the drum need any insulation/extra topend vents if using LPG?
Also any pics/comments re setting up the bottom half with such a shroud re using an LPG ring burner???
Frank

Postby MacStill » Sun Jun 03, 2012 9:26 pm

maheel wrote:Mcstill

could you drop it down to below the handles and avoid that issue a little. Maybe something to fill the gap and make a flue with damper out the back to direct heat etc ?

Yep piece of piss, my burner was sitting on bricks inside the shroud to lift the keg..... another brick high would do just that :handgestures-thumbupleft: but I wanted the heat directed towards the column ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:59 pm

Hey Frank,

I'll just chuck another option out there...here's what I did. Got this insulation stuff from Clark Rubber, cost F 'all, I think cost about $10 for enough to do the boiler.

I think it's called reflective shit or something, they use it in roofs, but have the shiny side facing down to reflect heat back into the house.

For some reason through testing, I found it better this way with the shiny side out...anyway, even tested at 100'C, and you can touch the insulation material...works good for a mash tun holding in the temp too...i've shut it down before with the column still attached, and come back almost 24 hours later, and the thing is still steaming heavily inside.

09.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Goldie » Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:49 am

Brendan wrote:Hey Frank,

I'll just chuck another option out there...here's what I did. Got this insulation stuff from Clark Rubber, cost F 'all, I think cost about $10 for enough to do the boiler.

I think it's called reflective shit or something, they use it in roofs, but have the shiny side facing down to reflect heat back into the house.

For some reason through testing, I found it better this way with the shiny side out...anyway, even tested at 100'C, and you can touch the insulation material...works good for a mash tun holding in the temp too...i've shut it down before with the column still attached, and come back almost 24 hours later, and the thing is still steaming heavily inside.

09.jpg

I have used similar insulation, foam with a reflective coating, I will be using it the same side out as you Brendan.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby 8-ball » Mon Jun 04, 2012 6:40 am

if you go the drum root most of those "brew by u" type places either just give them to you or sell them cheap like $10 a drum or something
8-ball

equipment: t500, 25lt boiler ( used 6 times )
2" simple pot, (sits ontop of the 2 plater )
gas + 3.6kw electric 80l keg with 6in opening
2 x 4" perforated plate with 2in shotty

Postby maheel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:44 am

i use some shiny bubble warp looking stuff that i assume is for insulation in houses on my lecky keg

much the same as Brendan's.
maheel

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:07 am

I use the yellow roof insulation in the photo........its as ugly as hell but works great.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 11:12 am

hey SBB with a few rolls of that grey "gaffer tape" you could seal it up water tight.

and it would not be so ugly :)
maheel

Postby SBB » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:29 pm

Gaffer tape would burn down near the bottom maheel..........But I will work something out.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby maheel » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 pm

ahh gas fired .. was thinking lecky
maheel

Postby Frank » Mon Jun 04, 2012 5:06 pm

there's a heap of anticon/sisalation/builders blanket-type insulation products out there for sure....
but, with a gas/wood fire heatsource
1. I would be worried about flashpoint/flame contact etc
2. I wouldnt go near anything fibreglass.... as its not for me (esp regarding reusability)
3. I only need 1 or 2 metres of it (I'm finished with the house renovations for now) so I'd need to check if/where its sold in small/bespoke quantities

So...I'll go do some google homework and thank all for the suggestions thus far :handgestures-thumbupleft:
(Meanwhile my spare 44gal drum is looking more attractive by the hour :laughing-rolling: )
Frank

Next

Return to Pot Stills