New build pot still

Pot still design and discussion

New build pot still

Postby Firedragon » Fri Jun 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Ok after a few weeks reading I've got the bug for something better than what I have. I've had a 50 l ss keg donated to me and want advice on the best sized still for what I want to make. I'll be making a reflux style still later but right away I'd like to make a pot still. My idea is to make one pot still to suit now ( rum and whiskey ) and to be able to use it for reflux strip runs later on. Could someone or lotsa people suggest the best size to me so I can just get it right enough to use now and in the future. I'm sure I'll make more but for a first.......??? I'll be using electric elements as I'm a sparkey and can source and make my own control and heating stuff and run my new circuits to shed if needed. So I'm really just after pipe sizes and lengths and best condenser style and length. Thanks. Shane (born in the Chinese year of the firedragon hence my user name)
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Re: New build pot still

Postby adama » Sat Jun 30, 2012 5:32 am

just after pipe sizes and lengths and best condenser style . . . . . and length make one pot still to suit now ( rum and whiskey )

Hi there;
I think you can use just about any length of 2inch copper pipe to make your pot still; often it seems to be about how much headroom you have/don't have; try something about 1000mm tall.
A straight copper liebig condensor of about 700 to 900mm length is easy to make; the "outer jacket"could even be done in plastic hose if funds are tight. I have mine connected to a rain water tank as I dont like the idea of running the heated water down the drain ~ you just need a simple pump to circulate if that's how you go.
Draw up the pot still on paper ~ see what height off the floor the out-put will be; that way you'll know what size jar or other container you can use to collect the result.
I've done a bit of Rum; it sure seemed to leave a lot of crap smeared inside the keg boiler ~ can take a hell of a time to clean out, especially if you just have the 2" ferrule to access the inside. (some people keep their rum still seperate from their whisky/vodka sill).

My original stripper column got "re-purposed"for a thumper set-up. I replaced it with something more than twice the height ~ there's no difference in taste as a result of that.
adama

equipment: 3" VM
Putting a decent size copper stripper together
28L s/s stovetop boiler come Gin machine

Postby Firedragon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 9:59 am

Cheers. Thanks for the tips.
Firedragon

Postby crow » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:43 am

Hi ya , well mine is 2" because thats what I had here , if all my 3" hadn't been knocked of guess it would have been 3" . After saying that it strips very fast and I'm pretty happy with it , its about 500mm high and the lyne arm about 300mm . The Liebig condenser is 1750mm long (jacket 1550 ) and the water and distillate come out cold
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby stubbydrainer » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:55 am

g'day FD
here is a bit of info that might get the cogs turning over , keep this in mind when mulling over your pot still build 8-}
the general rule of thumb is :-
The bigger the diameter pipe , the faster your output will be
The shorter your pot still is ( between keg and condenser ) , the more flavour it will "carry over"

Condenser "specs" will change relatively ie: big still = big condenser

I know this is not telling you what to use, but it is info that is handy to know IMHO

Cheers
stubbydrainer

equipment: 4" perf. plate bubbler,2 1/2" pot with a triple wall liebig,
Small 8L pot for experiments & Gin, 6Kw 80ltr electric boiler , P.I.D/PWM controller
1/2 share with SBB in a 3" boka,

Postby Firedragon » Sun Jul 01, 2012 7:49 pm

Thanks croweater and stubby!! I like the short fat tower idea......its not the size of the fish it's how u jiggle the worm. Lol.
Firedragon

Return to Pot Stills