Pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Pot still

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:17 pm

Hey all, just wondering if this slap together half assed pot still will do for a first one?. Going to put a 2 ring burner under it for 25L wash. Thanks for any feed back.
Bloody hell my sheds a mess!!! :-|

Cheers
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by googe on Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
googe

Re: Pot still

Postby mitcho89 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:41 pm

She looks good mate! Very good work for a first. Heat source may be your only problem, You'll need a pretty high output regulator and maybe a 3-4 ring burner but I'm sure the veterans will guide you in the right direction.

- Mitch.
mitcho89

equipment: Beer - 70L brew pot, all-grain setup, Fridge Mate controlled 120L chest freezer with 2 taps, 3 kegs.

Hooch - 27L Fusel Express, many happy friends!

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:57 pm

Thanks mate, was wondering if it might not be big enough. Might have to wait longer till i can afford a bigger one :crying-blue:
googe

Postby MacStill » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:34 pm

As long as the worm has a steady downhill slope it looks good & will work fine, only thing would be your burner will make heat up pretty slow..... but it will work :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 6:41 pm

+1 Mcstill

It's fine bloke,

I started with a 2 ring years ago not fast but hey...

Tip: don't take the heat of the wash while settling if you can will save an hour or so heating up.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby crow » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:52 pm

Yeah bout that burner , personally I wouldn't fuck around with it . buy , make , borrow , beg , steal a better one . Check this bruz ya might come around to my way of thinking
viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1211&start=100#p17562
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:13 pm

Thanks Mcstill, its got a steady downhill flow. I think i will go the 3 burner, dam!, more brownie points down the drain ha. Thanks bt1, what exactly do you mean by this?, "Tip: don't take the heat of the wash while settling if you can will save an hour or so heating up." Bloody hell croweater that sounds painfull!!, wont be going down that road i hope haha.
googe

Pot still

Postby Sam. » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:29 pm

Think he meant don't take the heater off the wash and let it cool before charging the boiler. Huge difference between heating a 10 degree wash and a 30 degree wash
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby googe » Tue Jul 17, 2012 9:18 pm

ahh okies, with ya now. Cheers
googe

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:45 pm

Depends on how many brownie points you got in the bank, and how hard it is to get brownie points back.

A 3 ring or 747 would do good, but a 2 ring will work. Not many more clams for a 3 ring, and it will run on 2, or 1.

I found I got the best from a pot if I heated up slow and stedy. Yes, I've had the bottom ring glowing red, but I found it smeared things if you pump too much heat in too fast. You have to back off before collection starts, or it will all taste like heads and tails.
Try it both ways.

Either way, super heat is only helpful for boil up time. A jacket will help you get there fast too.

S&L has a good point, the warmer you can put your wash in, the less boil up time.
emptyglass

Postby googe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

Thanks for the info WineGlass, helps alot. I ll do a lot of experimenting when i get it up and running, dont want to harm myself or anyone else for that matter. I have a fair amount of spare time some weekends so go slow doesnt bother me. Cheers again.
googe

Postby googe » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

Also, when i do a test run for leaks and such, do i run it flatout with just water?. Or will the cleaning run nut out any probs?. Cheers
googe

Postby cdbrown » Wed Jul 18, 2012 1:39 pm

I'd definitely recommend getting a medium pressure adjustable reg first. Just can't get the gas out fast enough with the LP (normal bbq) regulators regardless of what burner is attached. Get the reg and use it with the 2-ring, until you've got the brownie points to upgrade the burner.
cdbrown

equipment: 50L keg with McStill pot head, 3-ring burner on MP adj reg (upgrading to italian spiral)
McStill Copper Parrot
3v 50L brew rig with HERMS for 42L homebrew batches

Postby SBB » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:48 pm

googe wrote:Going to put a 2 ring burner under it for 25L wash.

A 2 ring job should go ok on 25 litres, would probably be painfully slow if you had 40L in that keg though.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby bt1 » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:38 pm

googe save ur $,

+1 sam ...yeh meant exactly that...a warm wash to start with will save time...

start with the 2 ring it ain't fast but hell no one has ever yet to my knowledge said "this whisky was made with a 2 ring...i can taste it" i.e. other than time makes shit all diff.

enjoy
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks all, i think i ll stick with the 3 burner, i do want to do some bigger washes down the track. I ll just use the normal reg for now and see how it goes, will change it if need be. No sence going big first up, its only cost me $60 to build it so far so im happy. Cheers
googe

Return to Pot Stills