Airstill rum

Pot still design and discussion

Airstill rum

Postby Firedragon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:49 pm

Ok I've been busy making rum ! Yum yum ! I'm up to my 4 th gen and will distill it this week end. Can't wait to do a spirit run. As I've only kept a litre or bit more from each gen of low wines for a 5 th gen all combined run I've been double distilling the rest like 2l of low wines from my 11 l wash. I keep about 400-500ml from this and oak after watering down to 65% from around 80%. I've got to taste some only 3 weeks old and this stuff rocks. Not like a bundy but simmilar more cleaner and maybe sweeter. I have got to recommend making your own if u like rum. Comes outa the airstill and oaking better than most rums I've tried. I've kept spirit run feints for adding flavours to next spirit run. And oak using chips, some normal and some toasted and a few charred. :dance: :clap:
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Re: Airstill rum

Postby Lowndsey » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:36 pm

Try soaking a few bits of lemongrass in it. I am loving it. Doesn't taste anything like lemongrass....just seems to add an extra deeper aged taste to it. I soak all my rum in lemongrass now.
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Re: Airstill rum

Postby Firedragon » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:47 pm

Cheers for the tip. I'm experimenting with red wine French oak, but haven't tasted it yet. Might try lemon grass in the weekends run.
Firedragon

equipment: Airstill

Return to Pot Stills