pot still design

Pot still design and discussion

pot still design

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:51 pm

I am trying to make a design that has been covered but it is not really covering what I want it for. So I am wondering if this will work.

Ok I basically want to build something like stephen from THIS!

but thinking of a long radius 90deg bends and the double helix coil.

I will mainly be doing rum so will I be able to get 1 run out of it or will I still have to strip? also will I be able to do a vodka in it? even if a few runs is needed.

I want a plated one but cost wise ATM it will be a year before I can get one so want a alternative as cant wait that long haha
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Re: pot still design

Postby Linno » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:15 pm

gday KG

a suggestion - from reading your post and what you want to make to drink you may want to consider a convertable Boka (forgive the not so technical name) ... a few guys on here have bokas that have a packed and unpacked column easily adjustable for the dual pupose of what you want to do...

viewtopic.php?f=33&t=1720

cheers
Linno
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:30 pm

hmm yeah I havnt read into the boka, But talking to croweater, WineGlass and mcstill I want to be in a plated still but cost is going to be the turn away for about a year.

I see the boka is a good bit of gear what is it made to run mainly? also what can it run? it seems to be easy enough for me to build so thats a plus.
kelbygreen

Postby Linno » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:36 pm

kelbygreen wrote:hmm yeah I havnt read into the boka, But talking to croweater, WineGlass and mcstill I want to be in a plated still but cost is going to be the turn away for about a year.

I see the boka is a good bit of gear what is it made to run mainly? also what can it run? it seems to be easy enough for me to build so thats a plus.

basically - you have a reflux still for your vodkas and a pot still for your rum in the same simple setup - pot still mode and reflux mode. :handgestures-thumbupleft:

found this which may give you a better idea mate

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1560
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:50 pm

wow nice rig lol . I want to run single run rum washes but its not critical ATM lol. hmm so much to thick about :P
kelbygreen

Postby bt1 » Tue Oct 02, 2012 7:18 am

Hello kg,

It's a nice design simular to these beasts I've made..

http://aussiedistiller.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1648

If you packed the whole column up perhaps you'd go close...reckon as you have two distinct drinks start with the rums on a pot design get some miles under the belt and progressivly work towards a perf plate, bubble plate of boka..be wared boka's are not speed machines!

Deisign ideal for rum in a single run no issues, but a vodka would require a strip and spirit run. They start at mid 90's abv but won't sustain it and also carry a fair bit of flavour over...something you don't want too much of in a vodka.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby kelbygreen » Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:12 pm

vodka will prob only be once or twice a year at most as misses takes a year to drink a bottle so it will only be for my sister when she visits really
kelbygreen

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:19 pm

Ok so with some more thought I think I will go with a 3" pot. Now I am prob going to build a simple pot with no fancy crap I was thinking before.

I want 3" the whole way and have a keg I been told to do a reducer but I could get the guy at the LHBS weld a ferrule in there as I want a 3" ferrule for a filling port anyway so might as well get that done to. I see no point with a tap with a 3" ports as cleaning shouldnt be hard.

now to the build would a 500mm riser be enough?? also what about the condenser will 3/4" with 1/2" in be big enough? I plan to run on gas so the length will prob be long maybe 1500mm?

please give me some ideas as I would have no clue and if I making things more complicated or expensive then it should be lol

cheers
kelbygreen

Postby crow » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:34 pm

sounds ok , have a look at what others have built and you'll get a good idea ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:41 pm

I would go 1" over 3/4" for the condenser to help reduce huffing & give it better throughput :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:46 pm

cheers still 1/2" inside? The scrap yard had what looked to be 1 and a 1/2" would getting fittings for this be to difficult? I will ring up the plumbing supply tomorrow. would the condenser only have to be 1m? or should I make it longer I can make the 1/2" inside it as long as I need past that I guess.

Picked up the propane torch and will solder my mash tun manifold together tonight or tomorrow as I seen when pumping the strike water it was coming out of the bends before the manifold and something that I been meaning to do for about a year but didnt justify a propane torch for a few joints lol
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:34 pm

No! Your not listening again :angry-banghead: :angry-banghead:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

One inch outer over three quarter inner, I did not mention half inch anywhere did I 8-}

:D :D :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:41 pm

oh I thought you meant I would use 1" over the 3/4" meaning I would use 1" instead of 3/4 :P I listen I just dont get shit or thinking something else haha.

tried to solder a joint failed lol well it held but ugly and I figured out that applying the solder with the torch still heating the joint makes it bead and not move. Maybe I should read on how to solder haha

Edit: and it burns when it drips on your feet haha
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:45 pm

If its dripping on your feet you got too much heat :violence-stickwhack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:05 pm

that was prob coz I had the flame on the pipe while I was trying to solder it and it was beading up and not going anywhere or it was just dripping before it got the pipe haha
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:26 pm

Yep! Way too hot if its doing that... Be patient with a smaller flame and you'll spend a lot less time cleaning up :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:43 pm

yeah started to get a good flow but need a vice or something to hold it as I went to turn it and dropped it and it feel apart haha. Will resume with no beers in me tomorrow I can see me doing something stupid soon so time to call it fail and go again tomorrow. Getting it to flow in heaps better now as you say heat it slow and just keep testing till it just starts to flow but where and how I am set up I cant get right around the joint. Will figure that out tomorrow,

Any way I can now concentrate on how I wanna build it lol
kelbygreen

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:27 pm

Ok a quick draw up please flame me and tell me whats wrong lol
kelbygreen

pot still design

Postby Sam. » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:10 pm

If your running on gas might want your takeoff further away.

Also probably be better to have your condenser at a better angle ie closer to horizontal it will perform better
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby kelbygreen » Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:21 pm

it will be heaps far away I just couldnt figure out how to draw it (shit in paint) lol so had to do a view like that so you can see the build
kelbygreen

Next

Return to Pot Stills