My pot kit has arrived!

Pot still design and discussion

Re: What's for Dinner?

Postby Merlot » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:03 am

Yeah it was steamed chicken spinach and ham roulade, got the recipe out of the paper yesterday. You gotta chuck one breast in the food processor with egg white, cream, garlic and tarragon to make a mousse. Then you beat the other breasts with a rolling pin to make em about 1cm thick, spread the mousse on with the spinach (i used cale cos I had it growing) and a bit of ham and roll it up in glad wrap like a sausage and simmer for about 15 mins. Looks really professional but easy as and very tasty too. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Merlot

equipment: Still spirits air still....
2 in McStill pot on a 25L SS boiler

Re: My pot kit has arrived!

Postby Kimbo » Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:37 am

Its back there now :oops:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Merlot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:46 pm

Okay got home from work today and thought I'd do a strip of the dwwg. Charged the boiler with about 12.5L, set her up and let it rip. Took about an hour to get up to speed so I'm thinking I need a bigger burner. :sad:

Anyway I'm checking all the joins with my miirror and I found a leak! :shock: . It was on the top of the column at the 90... I knew those 2in joins were gonna be the one's to watch. I didn't want to stop so I run and grab the flour make a paste to seal it, all good I thought, collecting away still checking with mirror. After I collected about a litre I find another leak! :shock: . Tried the paste again.... not so good this time :sad: ABORT ABORT ABORT :angry-banghead:

Turned off the burner and I'm letting her cool down now. Looks I got some more soldering to do :sad:.

Now my question is do I have melt it off and clean it up first or can I just heat it up again and try to get a better seal?

Appreciate the help :oops:

Cheers
Merlot

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:43 pm

I have had to redo a few now from mega noobness lol. But I found if you need to put more solder in when your doing the joint or after is to heat up below and above (more so below) the fitting and dont get the flame on the solder already there as it doesnt like it. If you heat around the solder then it should stay intact and melt and when its hot enough you should be able to put more solder into the joint.
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Merlot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:20 pm

Thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Merlot

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:50 pm

no worries let me know how it goes. It is very handy trick to when you are doing a joint keep the flame under the fitting you soldering and just infront of where you are soldering as it will keep it flowing instead of it getting half way around and stops flowing.

its alot easier on bigger pipes I have found the 1/2" is by far the hardest and thats where I tried to start lol as its hard to heat the fitting while soldering so heating the pipe around it is the go.

As I say thats from my experience could be the total wrong way to do it but getting better results since. Also the flux wont all burn off if you heat the surrounding area not where the flux is (also found that after turning it black a few times).
kelbygreen

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:56 pm

just heat it up again and try to get a better seal?

That is what I would do after a bit of flux wiped around the join :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Merlot » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:00 pm

Thanks McStill I was just about to start another thread with this question as I thought ppl were getting sick of coming back to this one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
Merlot

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:03 pm

not at all mate, this is you're thread so you just ask away :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I've been out in the shed drinking with Linno & Caveman so only just seen your question :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby punchy21 » Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:57 pm

Merlot wrote:Okay got home from work today and thought I'd do a strip of the dwwg. Charged the boiler with about 12.5L, set her up and let it rip. Took about an hour to get up to speed so I'm thinking I need a bigger burner. :sad:

Anyway I'm checking all the joins with my miirror and I found a leak! :shock: . It was on the top of the column at the 90... I knew those 2in joins were gonna be the one's to watch. I didn't want to stop so I run and grab the flour make a paste to seal it, all good I thought, collecting away still checking with mirror. After I collected about a litre I find another leak! :shock: . Tried the paste again.... not so good this time :sad: ABORT ABORT ABORT :angry-banghead:

Turned off the burner and I'm letting her cool down now. Looks I got some more soldering to do :sad:.

Now my question is do I have melt it off and clean it up first or can I just heat it up again and try to get a better seal?

Appreciate the help :oops:

Cheers

Not having a go or anything but probably best to check for leaks during your cleaning run... Good find anyway... :handgestures-thumbupleft: Especially when using gas...
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Kimbo » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:30 am

Hi Merlot, you could just heat it up and solder. no need to pull apart.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Merlot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:37 pm

Hey Punchy maybe you haven't read the rest of this thread. I did check in both the vinegar and alc cleaning runs, thoroughly I thought, even posted a pic of doing it, but I must have missed it :oops:
Thanks ppl, just tried soldering again... bit messy but I hope its ok :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers
Merlot

Postby googe » Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:45 pm

Ive had that happen mate, soldered it one day and a few days later leaked like a sive!, best way ive found is the same as mac, brush it with flux when you redo it, i also brush it through the process, cleans the join up very nice. Good luck.
googe

Postby Merlot » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Merlot

Postby Linno » Tue Oct 16, 2012 11:21 pm

Hey Merlot

good job building your McPot still mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: Good to see it up and running..
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Merlot » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:09 pm

Ran another strip tonight. A bit less than 2L per hour at the start slowed right down at the end. Started at about 70 abv and I took it down to about 25 ended up witth round 3L. It took 1 hour to get up to temp. How does that sound?

I think I need a new burner with more oomph... my brewer mate has a nasa burner, reckons. $160 from a camping shop. I'd rather not spend that much though, any ideas?

Cheers
Merlot

Postby kelbygreen » Wed Oct 17, 2012 11:44 pm

buy a adjustable reg it will have to be bought anyway if you go a bigger burner.

with a 3 ring burner and this reg http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOC-6000-LPG-Regulator-400-kPa-/271025324286

set on 25kpa I get 2 deg + a min with a stock cast iron 3 ring burner and 25lts of water. They say there ow pressure but no prob on this end as the italian spiral I have is HP and I run it on the 25kpa

The KPA is measure for me when its off and I can run both burners at the same time, but it reads 0kpa on the reg then when its shut off its back to 25kpa
kelbygreen

My pot kit has arrived!

Postby Urrazeb » Thu Oct 18, 2012 12:44 am

+1 kelby. U can pick up a 3 ring for about a hunge in wa, I know that's prob not ideal for u but that's what's gonna do the job.
I got a 150kpa reg and it does fine mate but my burner has an adjustable knob so not too sure about the 3 ring. 160 will get u a killer burner from a camping store tho mate and keep an eye out on gumtree etc they come up now and then for much less! :)
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:40 am

Or you could make one of these burners for fuck all :handgestures-thumbupleft: I'm pretty sure there are a few getting around on the forum,just ask Crow what he thinks of his :laughing-rolling:
posting.php?mode=quote&f=41&p=6847
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Cane Toad » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:42 am

Or if you want to get real flash
posting.php?mode=quote&f=41&p=13511
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills