The Beginning of my pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Postby Jonno » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:27 pm

Hey guys!!

I'm about to start my journey of distilling with my very first pot still build starting shortly! I'm wanting to go a 2" pot still with a 1/2" liebig(3/4" jacket) This is the gear i have so far, please let me know if ya rkn im missing something

2" copper pipe x 1m
3/4" copper pipe x 1m
1/2" copper pipe x 1m
2" 90 bend
2"x3/4" reducer
2" coupler
3/4"x1/2 reducer
20x15x15 T piece x 2

The things i know i need still are
2" tri clamp
2" ferrule

I think i may require a SS union? or is it better to tri clamp the liebig? What about those silicon seals? are they required for every tri clamp connection? I've tried ordering the tri clamps through the co-op but mcstill doesn't seem to have any in stock and not sure if he got my pm either.

Cheers all!
Jonno

Re: The Beginning of my pot still

Postby kelbygreen » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:34 pm

see a few things,

1: your 1/2" will have to be bigger then the 3/4" which is fine if you cut the 3/4" down to say 800-900mm.
2: you need a 2" to 1/2" reducer. As you want the 1/2" to run threw the 3/4" so it will be one long length straight threw the condenser.
3: you may want a bend for the 1/2" to get the angle on the condenser and get it away from the still.

A union would be best as it gives you adjustable but without a 90deg on the 1/2" it wont adjust anything unless you get a 90deg union.

Edit: look at macs pot in the co op and look at both with the parts laid out in the DIY kit you will figure it out :P

Oh and missed the 3/4 to1/2 reducer forget that lol
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Oct 20, 2012 4:23 am

What about those silicon seals?

How to make an everlasting PTFE gasket, Very Easily... made bunch of these for my triclamps yesterday

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=24199
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby bt1 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:10 am

Hello kiwi,

If you go to Bunning they have pre cut lenghts of 3/4" and 1/2" it about 1.2 - 1.5m and priced ok...great for over lenght needs for leibig.

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Ryan » Sat Oct 20, 2012 10:44 am

kiwikeg wrote:
What about those silicon seals?

How to make an everlasting PTFE gasket, Very Easily... made bunch of these for my triclamps yesterday

http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 46&t=24199

I bought SS Ferrules the other day, and they didn't have the silicon seals to match, only rubber!
This will be perfect for me also

Awesome find! Thanks!!
Ryan

equipment: 2" Pot Still

Postby Jonno » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:13 pm

So i've been see'ing some photos of the ol' shotgun condensor and it got me thinking. For a space sorta thing, would it be an idea maybe to go a shotgun? Does it improve output much at all instead of a liebig? If i go a 2" shotgun with 4 x 3/8 inch tubes.

Suggestions?

Cheers all
Jonno

Postby googe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:46 pm

They seem to be the go for stripping jonno :handgestures-thumbupleft: dont really know how they perform with spirit runs or slower runs havnt really read that about them, id be curious to know too.
googe

Postby kelbygreen » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:48 pm

yeah same here you may need more water threw them as they are shorter but more volume. I am not sure mine runs with the tap only just cracked I couldnt get it to much slower without it being off but that was a cleaning run so might need more volume in a strip
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Postby Jonno » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:54 pm

Hm, maybe i should just build my 2" with the liebig before i get to excited and think to far ahead about getting a shotgun!!
Jonno

Postby googe » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:01 pm

I was like that with my first clean run too kelby, then i did a strip run and used 10 times the amount of water to cool it lol. The bigger the condensor the more heat it will generate and the warmer the water will get, thats what ive noticed anyway. Just do what you feel comfortable with jonno :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:05 pm

If a 2" shotgun works well on a 4" bubbler,I don't see why it wouldn't work a treat on a 2" pot,dunno about the water factor though :think:
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Linno » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:48 pm

Jonno wrote:So i've been see'ing some photos of the ol' shotgun condensor and it got me thinking. For a space sorta thing, would it be an idea maybe to go a shotgun? Does it improve output much at all instead of a liebig? If i go a 2" shotgun with 4 x 3/8 inch tubes.

Suggestions?

Cheers all

gday mate
i got a shot gun on my 2 1/2 inch potty and it flows awesome. (check out the cobra in pot stills section) i highly reccomend it if you can put one together. maybe not as good if you go gas but - cause the stubbiness keeps it pretty close to the boiler.. :angry-extinguishflame:

with 2 x 2400 wat elements we were getting 15lt hour
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 22, 2012 9:55 pm

Linno wrote:
Jonno wrote:So i've been see'ing some photos of the ol' shotgun condensor and it got me thinking. For a space sorta thing, would it be an idea maybe to go a shotgun? Does it improve output much at all instead of a liebig? If i go a 2" shotgun with 4 x 3/8 inch tubes.

Suggestions?

Cheers all

gday mate
i got a shot gun on my 2 1/2 inch potty and it flows awesome. (check out the cobra in pot stills section) i highly reccomend it if you can put one together. maybe not as good if you go gas but - cause the stubbiness keeps it pretty close to the boiler.. :angry-extinguishflame:

with 2 x 2400 wat elements we were getting 15lt hour

Pretty easy to stick an extension on the end of it if you want the collection area further away ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Jonno » Tue Oct 30, 2012 9:32 pm

Hey all, got most of my pieces now just sourcing the tri clamps and ferrules ATM.

I also came across this. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bellbird ... 1008736455

Reason it's a good buy or stay away?

Cheers fellas
Jonno

Postby Aussiedownunder01 » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:39 am

Jonno wrote:Hey all, got most of my pieces now just sourcing the tri clamps and ferrules ATM.

I also came across this. http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/bellbird ... 1008736455

Reason it's a good buy or stay away?

Cheers fellas
Its an excellent start up set up and cheap
Aussiedownunder01

Location: So close to melbourne airport you can hear the plains
equipment: 100 litre boiler with a 4 in 5 plate bubbler on top with a 500 packed section standing by if needed

Postby Linno » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:18 am

hi mate

its super cheap set up..... i dont think its quality to tel you the truth...i think you could make or buy a much better pot still in copper for a bit more investment.. your first ideas and your stock list will make a much much better pot still mate...those couplo bits you need can be sourced and you will have a quality pot not a cheap one.. just my 2 cents mate. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby Jonno » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:02 am

Oh don't get me wrong. I'm still gonna build the pot still. Just thinking of getting this for the reflux. Actually was able to organise a better price.

So is it it still worth picking up?
Jonno

Postby Sam. » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:33 am

If you can build a pot still you can build a reflux mate
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Jonno » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:59 pm

So i've decided I'm gonna pick it up tomorrow. In the short term it works out cheaper for me to pick this up while i still gather all the little things i require to make me potstill. Still gotta source a keg/burner etc.

So excited :happy-partydance: Anything i should check or be looking out for?
Jonno

Postby Jonno » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:23 pm

Ok now that that's sorted.

Lets get back onto the design of the pot still. I was really thinkin about going gas style but got me thinking about going electric.

Any reason why i couldn't use one of these elements?

http://www.sparkydirect.com.au/c/438240 ... ments.html

thanks guys
Jonno

Next

Return to Pot Stills