New pot still, built to order

Pot still design and discussion

New pot still, built to order

Postby Damoz » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:36 am

Hi Guys... I'm very, very new to this game and am coming off a T500 (don't ask!! :handgestures-thumbdown: ). I wanted something that I could begin running some UJSM through and letting it sit on some wood for a while, and then progress from there. I also know there are a million ways to put a rig together so I went to someone who knows - no point reinventing the wheel! My main requirements were a setup that was simple to run and easy to store that could turn out a good whiskey. So a little while later, a few questions answered, one keg dropped off... and here she is. All thanks goes to WineGlass for this custom build that suits my requirements.

So starting with the keg, we decided on a tap to empty the spent wash, no one wants to be lifting great amounts of hot liquid! It's also got level adjusting feet (a.k.a welded thread and adjustable nut) incase of a mildly uneven floor:

Copy of IMG_5770.JPG

Around the back we've got a 3600W element as I was after an electric setup. I decided not to go for a heat controller at this early stage, maybe a little later. There are silicon gaskets inbetween the element and the keg, all held together via stainless clamps. It comes apart easily for cleaning:

Copy of IMG_5772.JPG

On top is a removable head that starts out life as a 2" pipe, then bends and begins tapering down from there. It's connected to the keg via stainless clamp and silicon gasket. The Liebig is also seperate and connects to the head just before the 180 degree bend simply via pushing on with a hose clamp to hold it in place. This allows me to dismantle and store the rig in 3 pieces. For cooling my vapour, the liebig has standard hose fittings attached for inlet and outlet, and also a bracket that allows it to rest back on the keg. WineGlass even made up a parrot to go along with it...

Copy of IMG_5775.JPG

Copy of IMG_5774.JPG

So basically, all I need to do is charge the keg, plug the inlet and outlet hoses into the liebig, push the liebig onto the head and the head onto the keg and off she goes!

The 3600W element does a good job of firing it all up, I've only run about 25-30L through at a time so far and the foreshots start appearing within about 30 minutes and it outputs at about 500mls every 4 minutes or so (% depending on what's in the keg obviously...)

Once it's done, I empty it all (keeping some backset for the next ferment), wash everything and dismantle it for storage until next time:

IMG_5785 - Copy.JPG

Thanks again to WineGlass, a great build with some great suggestions for me.

Cheers guys!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Damoz

equipment: Custom pot rig, electric keg, copper head, long liebig... just the way the ladies like it!

Re: New pot still, built to order

Postby Camikaze » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:49 am

Nice setup mate and good on you for doing your research. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Camikaze

equipment: The 'Lamb-cannon' 4" stainless modular hybrid on a keg, shottie-cooled with 185,000 btu up its arse

Postby JayD » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:04 am

good looking setup... :handgestures-thumbupleft: I like the way you made it flow.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:22 am

Nice one fellas :handgestures-thumbupleft: it's good to know there's some nice honest people around willing to help out newbies :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Fatherjack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 11:45 am

Damoz wrote:Hi Guys... I'm very, very new to this game and am coming off a T500 (don't ask!! :handgestures-thumbdown:

Not as new as Me Mate :laughing-rolling:

What did the T500 do or not do for you to get the thumbs down :handgestures-thumbdown:
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby crow » Fri Oct 26, 2012 12:45 pm

Sorry Damoz don't punch me in the head for this but here's the tail of woe (perhaps amusing to the outsider) that lead to this bit of kit :laughing-rolling: (Hasta be told)
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=30049
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Fatherjack » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:36 pm

croweater wrote: (perhaps amusing to the outsider)

Not at all Mate

Cheers for the link..
Fatherjack

equipment: 50l keg boiler
Mac pot still

Postby emptyglass » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:09 pm

Damoz, you shoud be able to get up to 8-9 litres an hour on a spirit run or slow gentle single run with this puppy.

It will make a real nice bourbon pretty quick for a 2" pot. Good for rum too.

But sorry guys, I don't make them anymore. Damoz got the last one. Macs the man for a good pot still. My still building time is spent making bubblers these days.
emptyglass

Postby MacStill » Fri Oct 26, 2012 8:32 pm

WineGlass wrote:Damoz, you shoud be able to get up to 8-9 litres an hour on a spirit run or slow gentle single run with this puppy.

It will make a real nice bourbon pretty quick for a 2" pot. Good for rum too.

But sorry guys, I don't make them anymore. Damoz got the last one. Macs the man for a good pot still. My still building time is spent making bubblers these days.

If anyone wants one of these I'm happy for them to contact you for it mate, I'm gettin the build itch again and have some new ideas for a new bubbler..... But no point me building more if I ain't gunna sell the occasional one :handgestures-thumbupleft:

This is a lovely pot still, and people deserve freedom of choice when there's quality products available like this :D
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby bt1 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 6:35 am

Long leibigs which suit hotter climates are nice.

Tht puppy is going to be dead easy to drive. You'll be able to play spot the hot point on spirit runs with ease.

WD guys

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Goldie » Sun Oct 28, 2012 3:50 am

Great rig mate and good job WineGlass.
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby Damoz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:24 pm

croweater wrote:Sorry Damoz don't punch me in the head for this but here's the tail of woe (perhaps amusing to the outsider) that lead to this bit of kit :laughing-rolling: (Hasta be told)
http://homedistiller.org/forum/viewtopi ... 15&t=30049

haha... that's the one!!
Damoz

equipment: Custom pot rig, electric keg, copper head, long liebig... just the way the ladies like it!

Postby Damoz » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:25 pm

Fatherjack wrote:
croweater wrote: (perhaps amusing to the outsider)

Not at all Mate

Cheers for the link..

All the info's in that link... did the rookie thing and walked into a Brewshop and asked what my options were.
Damoz

Postby emptyglass » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:20 pm

Thats what most of us do mate.

You are good for a while now, just keep on using it.

Any comments on how it runs?

And maybe you should update your equipment list??
emptyglass

Postby Damoz » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:57 am

WineGlass wrote:Thats what most of us do mate.

You are good for a while now, just keep on using it.

Any comments on how it runs?

And maybe you should update your equipment list??

I've only had the chance to run it about 3-4 times over the last couple of months. Results are slightly varied, but I suppose that's all spurely because of the wash that goes in. Because i'm just getting a new UJSM up and running, I really haven't paid close attention to output levels at the moment. But from memory, I think the last one was something like a total of 7L (+/- 1 Litres, going off memory only!!) @ 70% > 60%, then removing heads and tails from that. Functionality wise, it couldn't be easier. Assemble it, plug in inlet and outlet hoses and off you go!! So simple, love it... thanks Empty... equipment list updated also
Damoz

Postby bt1 » Sat Nov 10, 2012 5:54 am

Dam,

nice results, I'd be extremely happy with those numbers.

enjoy!
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Pot Stills