Pipe Wall thickness Question

Pot still design and discussion

Pipe Wall thickness Question

Postby SBB » Wed May 04, 2011 9:15 am

Watching others have all the fun is getting to me......I'm about to start gathering / scrounging the materials for a proper still....something based on a keg. My question is what wall thickness's of pipe are most appropriate for still building or doesn't it really matter as long as its not paper thin. Also what diameters of pipe are most useful. The reason I ask is that Ive put the feelers out around a few local scrap yards and if I find anything I cant use my self it may be of use to someone else here. They had just cut a brand new 8 foot piece of 3 inch into 2 foot lengths and crushed it ten mins before I walked into one scrap yard :shock: :shock: :shock:
SBB
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Re: Pipe Wall thickness Question

Postby R-sole » Wed May 04, 2011 10:06 am

Won't matter for most purposes, but A grade is twice the wall thickness and twice the price of B grade.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby maheel » Wed May 04, 2011 11:05 am

size of pipe all depends on what your building

if your doing a boka then
most useful in 2m lengths is 2' 2.5' 3'
then maybe some 1/4 or 3/8 for pipe etc

pot still ? depends on size / watts / preferance
plate ? 4" ? plus all the smaller bits on one

one issue is getting fittings for smaller stuff / bigger stuff sometimes, you might need to order from HVAC shop (AC) as reece etc may not carry them

for a keg 2" boka is maybe the easy option no reduces just a flange / tri clamp required but 2.5' or 3" gives you more speed
there is no right or wrong but just makes a difference to the still
maheel

Postby MacStill » Wed May 04, 2011 7:28 pm

All the pipe I use is B grade, works fine ;)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Return to Pot Stills