the vapour path/head design

Pot still design and discussion

the vapour path/head design

Postby arjovenzia » Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:45 am

Hiya's

So, I'm embarking on my virginal still build n have read many 100's of posts all over the interbutts. Have a fair idea of what I wanna do, but there's a few Q's I'll only answer with a few questions or many builds n tinkering. N this is what forums are for, no?

OK, so, the vapor path. The head. Ye old time moonshiners all use huge buckets of copper, n keggers all use a good fat column of >2 in. I've got a little (~7L) salvo special stockpot, which I propose to fit a 20mm copper outlet to. My wondering is, what sort of impact does the head/coulum sizing have on the *taste* of your likker? is it a ratio thing or a factor of pure dimention? I get how a larger head gives a passive reflux sorta thing, but I'm not terribly fussed for a high %, I'm keen for flavor, and will be designing to accommodate a cold finger or other hybrid concept in the future if required. Id be very happy to hear how changing the column girth changes what comes out of the spout given a similar boiler, mash, condenser etc.

Between the lines, I read the part is mainly defined by what fits... in this case, the straight-to-20mm will be done, as I've the parts on hand n wanna do something with my Wicked Weetbix Whiskey Wort that should be done by the weekend. But if rebuilding the part will give a superior product, I wanna know about it. A big SS bowl, big flange n a stack of reducers can always be added, if deemed worthwhile.

I'm sure HD would blast a 'search' demand, but pages of discussion does not always render an experienced opinion. N you guys don't seem to be asses. Any other info re head geometry, column height n arm length will be useful. But id prefer experiences, than regurgitated folklaw, tho that isn't useless.

If theirs no data, I'll just have to take path B n tinker... ATM I'm only popping my cherry, most important thing is just getting my ... tounge... wet. Being choosy can wait till I've got the mechanics n operation down.
arjovenzia

equipment: ~8L stockpot W. Lock
~40cm Lyne
~40cm 'long path' leibig
Active Evaporative cooling tower

Re: the vapour path/head design

Postby Sam. » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:45 am

Howdy mate, the general rule is column diameter = speed of offtake, you will be able to pump out more product.

With a reflux still, column height and packing = purity.

You are obviously going down the pot method, I would suggest if you are only using a 7 Litre pot a 20mm diameter column would be fine, shouldn't take too long to do a run :handgestures-thumbupleft:

If you are after flavour just keep the column height short, for that set up I would go about 200mm.

As for the arm, what do you want to do? Just bend over the top or make one of these?, the swan.

Are you planning on doing stripping runs with this or just slow double distills or a just a single run :think:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Return to Pot Stills