Say hello to the new girl...

Pot still design and discussion

Postby baldoss » Thu May 02, 2013 8:22 pm

My brand new 2" copper pot still and a beaut 50L stainless steel boiler arrived today in the post. Big ups to WineGlass for his work on this - all the soldering is top notch, everything is optioned the way I wanted it and all of the craftsmanship looks first rate - thanks mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The boiler - 50L SS keg with 4" fill port + sight glass and a drain valve. I haven't assembled the legs onto it but there's 3 removable legs that screw onto the side of the keg and the drain valve isn't attached yet (drain is at the bottom of the keg so can't see it in this photo):

And the still itself... beautiful 2" pot still with a liebig condensor. As you can see, the craftsmanship is outstanding:

So I've got my vinegar ready to mix up for a cleaning run and about 20L of shitty cask wine for a sacrificial run, then 2x 25L TPWs ready to fire up after that and see what we get out the other end. Start of an exciting journey that's for sure.

Once again big thanks to EG for building this for me - it looks like a great rig and I am very keen to get it into service asap :handgestures-thumbupleft:

:happy-partydance: :happy-partydance: :happy-partydance:
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Re: Say hello to the new girl...

Postby Stevem109r » Thu May 02, 2013 8:25 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: hello sexy, looks great :dance:
Stevem109r
Site Donor

equipment: HBS Reflux
Mac Pot
23lt fermenter/boiler
Keg boiler

Postby Sam. » Thu May 02, 2013 8:26 pm

Looks great mate, gotta be happy with that :happy-partydance:

Wish my kegs were that shiny :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby blond.chap » Thu May 02, 2013 8:27 pm

Wow that looks awesome, and you just won a cherry to put on top.
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby baldoss » Thu May 02, 2013 8:29 pm

I know! Talk about a nice surprise :handgestures-thumbupleft: I haven't even really done any reading on a parrot although I know what it does - haven't seen any pics of them running on anything but a reflux still though so time to hit the books...
baldoss

equipment: 2" copper pot still with liebig condenser on 50L ss keg boiler (gas)

Postby 1 2many » Thu May 02, 2013 8:37 pm

:text-coolphotos:

Awsome top of the range still and the boiler is mad top job Empty enjoy. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Thu May 02, 2013 8:55 pm

baldoss wrote:I know! Talk about a nice surprise :handgestures-thumbupleft: I haven't even really done any reading on a parrot although I know what it does - haven't seen any pics of them running on anything but a reflux still though so time to hit the books...

My vid here shows my McParrot in action: viewtopic.php?t=3477#p56432
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby googe » Thu May 02, 2013 9:46 pm

Awesome mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: beautiful pot and boiler!!. That Lyme arm is so sexy!, would love to have the skill to do something like that!. Good luck with your first runs mate!. Good job empty :handgestures-thumbupleft:
googe

Postby Brendan » Thu May 02, 2013 10:56 pm

Good stuff mate, your new parrot will go well with that beauty! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Looking forward to hearing about your first runs.
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby emptyglass » Fri May 03, 2013 12:21 am

I'm sure it will go as good as it looks for you mate. I'll take the chance to mention the condenser is spiral wound, just for that bit extra

Congrats on the new parrot. Its all coming together nicley. Thats still karma for you...
emptyglass

Return to Pot Stills