Washington's first pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Washington's first pot still

Postby washington » Wed May 08, 2013 3:14 am

Hey friends,

Just wanted to put up a picture or two of me first go a building a still. I've learned a lot, and should I make another it will be very different! But here she is.

still1.JPG

Thats before I finished the lyne and the condenser. I ended up doing away with the ugly plastic bucket and switching in a galvanized steel 10 gallon pail. Here's a couple of the complete worm.

IMG_20130506_133952.jpg

IMG_20130506_133944.jpg

I'll post more as I get everything moved into place and finalised. Although, I may never be able to run it at all... :crying-blue: I'm too frightened of the neighbors catching me and spending 5 years in the brig!

wash
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
washington

equipment: nothing finished yet!

Re: Washington's first pot still

Postby crow » Wed May 08, 2013 3:19 am

yeah :o i think build a shed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby JayD » Wed May 08, 2013 7:18 am

crow wrote:yeah :o i think build a shed :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Welcome to the forum, shed for sure and nice rig your building
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby 1 2many » Wed May 08, 2013 4:49 pm

Hi mate looks good . What type of heating device is that i have never seen one . :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby googe » Wed May 08, 2013 5:42 pm

Good stuff mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: I really like that little rig!!, kind of old school looking or sometimg. Good luck with your first run.
googe

Postby washington » Thu May 09, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks, fellas! I was shooting for an old timely look, or even better an old timely hooch I hope! I'm looking into the possibility of using the garage, but a purpose built shed may be the ticket. As for the heater, its some kind of Korean kerosene stove. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure it will put out enough energy
Its rated at 8500btu. Will that do it? It was given to me, along with a 50 gallon drum of kerosene, so I'd love to save on fuel costs if I can
washington

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu May 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Nice rig man.... I would look into a propane burner or go electric. I think you may have problems with that kerosene burner... Gonna have fumes too... Propane burns pretty clean... Electric would be the best...

-BK
BareKnuckles

equipment: 2 Plate 4" into 2" Hybrid

Postby washington » Thu May 09, 2013 2:01 pm

I think you must be right, sir. The kerosene means outdoor only, more or less. I'm interested in the kind of weldless elements Mac has. I'm very comfortable soft soldering, but I don't have the credentials for proper welding.
washington

Postby BareKnuckles » Thu May 09, 2013 2:13 pm

washington wrote:I think you must be right, sir. The kerosene means outdoor only, more or less. I'm interested in the kind of weldless elements Mac has. I'm very comfortable soft soldering, but I don't have the credentials for proper welding.

Understood... I have a buddy who is supposed to be welding ports on my other keg... Running propane in the shed right now... I'm learning to weld SS now. Not ready to ruin a keg with my non skills yet...LOL

Good luck with you build mate.

-BK
BareKnuckles

equipment: 2 Plate 4" into 2" Hybrid

Postby crow » Thu May 09, 2013 2:23 pm

washington wrote:Thanks, fellas! I was shooting for an old timely look, or even better an old timely hooch I hope! I'm looking into the possibility of using the garage, but a purpose built shed may be the ticket. As for the heater, its some kind of Korean kerosene stove. To be honest, I'm not entirely sure it will put out enough energy
Its rated at 8500btu. Will that do it? It was given to me, along with a 50 gallon drum of kerosene, so I'd love to save on fuel costs if I can

It would do the job, just but the whole district will know your burning kero and if you are worried about getting ratted in it might not be worth the savings, just sayin is all
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Pot Stills