Thinkin of upgrading to 3 or 4 "

Pot still design and discussion

Re: Thinkin of upgrading to 3 or 4 "

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 5:56 pm

i'm not trying to correct anyone, just scratching my head at the answers here in the pot still section about stripping 8-}

the quicker you can get the vapor through without restricting it's path, the quicker you can strip..... throughput.

Volume = speed :handgestures-thumbupleft:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Jonno » Fri May 31, 2013 6:03 pm

So your sayin if 2 people had only 2.4kw. Person a had a 4" and person b had a 2" but the same size condensers the 4 would be quicker?
Jonno

Postby Brendan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:11 pm

I'm also not trying to correct anyone Mac...

But when I was doing research into the head part of my bubbler, it seemed conclusive that vapour speeds up for a smaller diameter and take off speed appeared to be irrespective of the diameter...to a point of course, but all reports showed no difference between 2" and 4", and the influencing factor was the boiler power...

If anyone has different results I'd love to hear about it...ie. same boiler with same power input, with both a 2" column and 3 or 4" column...

There have been several reports of achieving upwards of 20L/hr with 2" pot stills. Those that had experimented with these mentioned that the condenser had to able to handle the increased vapour speed through the condenser, so that it doesn't escape (a long Liebig may be better than a shotgun in that case though...).

The only other difference that I could think of if all mentioned above is true, is the slight increase in passive reflux as the vapour hits the surrounding area of the opening to the restricted diameter...in a pot still column case, I guess that would be the top of the boiler...

Just food for thought, and I'm happy to be corrected, but that's what I have found and is my level of knowledge currently...
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby Brendan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:15 pm

Jonno wrote:So your sayin if 2 people had only 2.4kw. Person a had a 4" and person b had a 2" but the same size condensers the 4 would be quicker?

General vapour theory would say not...

The vapour moves slower through the 4" than the 2"...so in a 4" you would have more volume moving slower, and in the 2" having less volume moving quicker...theory says the amount arriving at the end will be identical...

But I have not tested a 2" pot on my boiler for full disclosure...
Brendan

Postby Mfkerg » Fri May 31, 2013 6:19 pm

Hi guys, I have 1 leibig that I can connect to either my 2" or 3" column. I don't know if its just me but the stream is definately thicker and quicker on the 3".

I haven't run the 2" for a while but I have around 100 litres of wine to strip in two runs so might try the experiment and post back over the weekend.
Mfkerg

equipment: Pot still and 2" Boka

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 6:20 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Such a simple question asked
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby blond.chap » Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 pm

Jonno wrote:How fast do you strip blonde in your 4". Or do you not do it n e more?

Nah haven't ever stripped with the bubbler mate, single runs do me just fine. :D
blond.chap

equipment: Paris Stillton (4" perforated bubbler)

Postby Brendan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:22 pm

MacStill wrote::laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

Such a simple question asked

I was talking about stripping, if that's what you're referring to Mac ;-)
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 6:24 pm

4.8kw + 2" Swan with shotgun >17 L/PH

4.8KW + 2" pot with liebig >12 L/PH

THROUGHPUT DAGNABBIT, THROUGHPUT :angry-banghead:

:teasing-tease:
Last edited by MacStill on Fri May 31, 2013 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Cant even spell dagnabbit right sigh!
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Jonno » Fri May 31, 2013 6:30 pm

I'm gonna give it a flagons Monday and lets see if I can pull that 17l lol. My strip run would be over in an hour :laughing-rolling:
Jonno

Postby Brendan » Fri May 31, 2013 6:31 pm

MacStill wrote:4.8kw + 2" Swan with shotgun >17 L/PH

4.8KW + 2" pot with liebig >12 L/PH

THROUGHPUT DGANABBIT, THROUGHPUT :angry-banghead:

:teasing-tease:

:think: Interesting...

So the swan is a tapered neck into a multi tube condenser, whereas the standard pot rises to an immediate single restriction? So I'm assuming a lot more passive reflux at the head of that pot column :doh:

Johno, don't worry about us theory nerds :-B ...here's the scientific answer...get the biggest you can because it looks heaps cooler! :music-deathmetal:
Brendan

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 6:32 pm

ever heard a shotgun huffing ? ;-)
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Jonno » Fri May 31, 2013 6:37 pm

Oh I know it looks cooler :laughing-rolling:

I'm just tight on the funds ATM, minister not releasing anything due to first born not to far away. If I can justify the 4" will be quicker yeah but if I can push similar outta my 2". Maybe I should look at getting a bigger boiler first lol, to make those 12l hr runs even more worth it instead of wasting half hour at a time emptying and refilling keg
Jonno

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 6:46 pm

I wouldnt bother with a 4" stripper if you only have 4.8kw to throw at it, my choice would be a 3" Candy type still.

Throughput is important for stripping, so basically you want to deliver the vapour to an unrestricted (as much as possible) condenser, the easier the delivery and exit of these vapours and liquids, the quicker your stripping still will be.

Every advantage you can think of will help, even insulating your boiler... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Now for the theory guys.

Blow real hard through a straw, then try same on a 2" pipe ;-)

throuput I tells ya, throughput :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Jonno » Fri May 31, 2013 7:05 pm

I suppose that's one of the good things about being a sparky. Could wire in another element or two :laughing-rolling: but I think throwing 9.6kw at a 50l boiler is pointless. Shit, I could even go 14.4 but still won't mean much till I get a bigger boiler.

It's all about trying to get those stripping runs done quicker ey :laughing-rolling:
Jonno

Postby googe » Fri May 31, 2013 7:24 pm

:text-+1:

I like doodle in my bum
Last edited by MacStill on Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
googe

Postby SBB » Fri May 31, 2013 10:40 pm

Didnt bother reading the last 20 posts, I could be wrong here, but everything Ive ever read, everything Ive ever done , indicates ........bigger diameter of any still, reflux , pot or plated column equals faster output. The original poster , I think quoted about 4800w............thats oodles to drive a 3 inch - 4 inch on a strip run
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby SBB » Fri May 31, 2013 10:46 pm

Brendan wrote:vapour speeds up for a smaller diameter and take off speed appeared to be irrespective of the diameter...to a point of course, but all reports showed no difference between 2" and 4", and the influencing factor was the boiler power...

Vapour speeds change very much according to diameter, ....blow through a drinking straw , then blow hard through a piece of 2 inch pipe, notice the difference.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby MacStill » Fri May 31, 2013 10:50 pm

SBB wrote:
Brendan wrote:vapour speeds up for a smaller diameter and take off speed appeared to be irrespective of the diameter...to a point of course, but all reports showed no difference between 2" and 4", and the influencing factor was the boiler power...

Vapour speeds change very much according to diameter, ....blow through a drinking straw , then blow hard through a piece of 2 inch pipe, notice the difference.

yeah :teasing-neener:

MacStill wrote:
Now for the theory guys.

Blow real hard through a straw, then try same on a 2" pipe ;-)

throuput I tells ya, throughput :teasing-neener:

ner ner :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby Brendan » Fri May 31, 2013 10:51 pm

SBB wrote:

Yeah that's what I was saying if it didn't come across well enough :D
Brendan

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills