Moran's pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Moran's pot still

Postby Moran » Sat Sep 21, 2013 2:44 pm

hey guys,
Well I've finished building my first still, parrot and making a boiler (retiring the airstill) :happy-partydance: . Its a 2" pot still with a graham condenser. I liked the design of a graham condenser and thought I'd give it a go (hoping it would work out). I've been extremely lucky having a plumbing mate who supplied all the copper for the job from offcuts he had and so I partially designed it to fit the offcuts, and he also lent me his oxy and other tools. Enjoyed the build and it was reasonably easy, so I look forward to learning the art of distilling for a while on a pot still and then look at upgrading later all going well.
Put it on a keg and using 2 x 2400W FSD elements. Did my cleaning runs and then my first stripping run today of MacRum. This stuff smells good (especially when I'm coming from a turbo yeast background) :D
With both elements running I got 7lt/hr, which I think is pretty good and didn't need much water running through the condenser. However once I got close to 30-35% abv the spirit came out with a slight cloudy tinge, not much but noticeable, so I then shut it down. Any thoughts on this?

Early days but overall I'm happy with how it worked on the stripping run (although I ain't got much experience to go off) and hopefully it continues.

Couldn't have done it without the information and knowledge on this site. Thanks to all :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moran

equipment: 2" pot still, 2x2400W FSD elements, 50L boiler

Re: Moran's pot still

Postby Andy » Sat Sep 21, 2013 3:18 pm

looks good mate. congratulations on the build!

the cloudy spirit could b tails, could also be from the water you used (unlikely), the boiler could have been over full and puking (i havnt had any experience with this so cant really comment, but im sure some rum lovers will chime in)
Andy

equipment: Copper Potstill on a 50L keg boiler with a 2200w element.
Doesn't get more simple then that

Postby Smbjk » Sat Sep 21, 2013 4:35 pm

:handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: :handgestures-thumbupleft: looks good mate. Welcome and have fun
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby Moran » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:15 am

Andy wrote:the cloudy spirit could b tails, could also be from the water you used (unlikely), the boiler could have been over full and puking

Thanks Andy, thinking on it more it could be puking. I had around 40L in the boiler which I thought would be enough head space, maybe not. Out of the run I collected 7L total and it was after 5L collected that the slight cloudiness began coming out.
Moran

Postby Dominator » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:46 pm

The cloudy stuff is tails, it happens to everyone when you get down near 30%. Don't stop if it is cloudy, I used to run down to 25-25% and it gets real cloudy by then. I am pretty sure the pugirum recipe recycles the 'rum oils' (cloudy stuff) as his opinion is that contains heaps of flavour. Puking on a rum wash will make your distillate yellow. 7L from a 40L strip sounds about right.

Your still looks great, I am sure you will have heaps of fun running it. :handgestures-thumbupleft: If you get a chance, have a look at mine and bt1's threads about hybrid pot stills in the pot still section. Adding a simple double helix or cold finger coil to a pot still removes the need to do strip runs on flavoured washes. Mine makes an awesome rum. :D
Dominator

equipment: 2" Pot Still/Hybrid
4" Perf Plate Bubbler
50L Keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements

Postby Moran » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:08 pm

Dominator wrote:The cloudy stuff is tails, it happens to everyone when you get down near 30%. Don't stop if it is cloudy, I used to run down to 25-25% and it gets real cloudy by then

Okay thanks for that feedback, glad to hear its tails and next time I'll keep running down a little more.

I'll be sure to look at those hybrid pot still threads too
Moran

Postby Moran » Thu Sep 26, 2013 5:08 pm

Seems my plumbing mate certainly keeps looking after me (almost too much and its starting to worry me :laughing-rolling: ). He dropped round and wondered if I wanted this.... :D :happy-partydance:
Been lying in his shed and thought I might be able to use it. Its a stainless hot water system, guessing around 150-200L volume.

My question is how many people have used one as a boiler before and your thoughts? It is quite tall so maybe not perfect dimesnions for a boiler due to the height and making it harder then to access the top/fill point....But I ain't complaining and it looks so damn good.
Maybe I could modify it in the future
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Moran

Postby Kimbo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 6:54 pm

Great score Moran,
you have a number of options there mate.
1. Lay the boiler on its side so its not so tall
2. use it as a fermenter
3. use it as an aging vessel ( would look pretty cool with a whiskey logo and a tap) ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby Zak Griffin » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:20 pm

Aging vessel? No everyone has 100+L of grog to age!

I'd probably cut it down to about 100L and use it as a boiler...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby MacStill » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Would make a great carbon filter :teasing-tease:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Kimbo » Thu Sep 26, 2013 8:36 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Aging vessel? No everyone has 100+L of grog to age!

I'd probably cut it down to about 100L and use it as a boiler...

Ya don't have ta fill it 8-}
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:15 pm

Super extra awesome score there :scared-eek:

I'd agree with Kimbo on point 1 or 2, and Zak on point 3
(but i wouldn't cut it down to 100L or anything - leave it at the volume you got it)

But what ever the case - that's sucker's gonna be used lying down sideways to be managable
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby Linny » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:17 pm

put a tap on it , and use it as a conical fermenter
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Canadoz » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:31 pm

MacStill wrote:Would make a great carbon filter :teasing-tease:

:laughing-rolling: oh Mac.
Canadoz

equipment: Modified stainless Keggomax CM reflux column, Copper 2" modular pot still with shotgun condenser. 50L Keg boiler w/ 3500W & 2500W elements, Phase angle controller.

Postby Smbjk » Thu Sep 26, 2013 9:37 pm

Moran wrote:Seems my plumbing mate certainly keeps looking after me (almost too much and its starting to worry me :laughing-rolling: ). He dropped round and wondered if I wanted this.... :D :happy-partydance:
Been lying in his shed and thought I might be able to use it. Its a stainless hot water system, guessing around 150-200L volume.

My question is how many people have used one as a boiler before and your thoughts? It is quite tall so maybe not perfect dimesnions for a boiler due to the height and making it harder then to access the top/fill point....But I ain't complaining and it looks so damn good.
Maybe I could modify it in the future

Might make a good shotty :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Smbjk

equipment: 50lt keg boiler with 2"boka
3" bubbler with 4 perf plates
All grain brewery ( Small Scale ) Keg Fridge
50lt keg boiler 2x2400w elements
Control box
Building fund is depleted

Postby kiwikeg » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:29 am

Ageing vessel!!!!
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby Moran » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:12 am

Kimbo wrote:Great score Moran,
you have a number of options there mate.
1. Lay the boiler on its side so its not so tall
2. use it as a fermenter
3. use it as an aging vessel ( would look pretty cool with a whiskey logo and a tap) ;-)
Some good suggestions thanks Kimbo. Hadn't thought of an aging vessel and reckon I might use it for that for a while. I just finished my first boiler build (keg) so whilst i'd like it, I'm telling myself that I really don't need a bigger boiler yet as I'm only starting out. I'll keep it intact and then I can easily change my mind later anyways. I'll set myself the dream goal of filling just half of the SS tank for aging. :smile:

MacStill wrote:Would make a great carbon filter :teasing-tease:
:laughing-rolling:
Smbjk wrote:Might make a good shotty :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
:laughing-rolling:
Moran

Return to Pot Stills