Small pot still

Pot still design and discussion

Small pot still

Postby Decan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 9:51 pm

Gday guys and girls I am in the process of building a small pot still I only aim to get 700mm of useable product per run so far it has cost me $27 dollars its made out of left overs from work all tig welded been doing a lot of reading on this site and thought I throw some photos so far up.
Decan

equipment: Stainless steel pot still

Re: Small pot still

Postby Decan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:06 pm

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decan

Postby Decan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:12 pm

image.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decan

Postby Decan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:13 pm

image.jpg
Decan

Postby Decan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:14 pm

That's it so far I'll be making the riser and pot this weekend.
Decan

Postby baysidebogan » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:58 pm

You say that you are only aiming at making 700 ml per run, that will depend on how big your wash is. Do you know anything about making cuts? Its customary to drop into the welcome section, say hi and explain what you are hoping to make, that way we will be able to help you better achieve whatever it is you are hoping to make.
baysidebogan

equipment: 2 inch JayD copper pot,50l keg 2400 mac element, and a 19lt pot still with thumper that sits on the stove in the kitchen

Postby Decan » Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:41 pm

Sorry should have explained a bit more I would like to make a whisky I have done a lot of reading on this sight and understand about cuts when I say I am after 700ml/bottle that's after being generous with cuts and doing striping and spirt runs. I'm looking at makeing a 20 to 25 litter boiler I have some more photos I will throw up tomorrow night
Decan

Postby MacStill » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:19 am

mmmmmmmmm flour paste baked into pretzels, the perfect snack while distilling :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Decan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:40 pm

image.jpg
Decan

Postby Zak Griffin » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:48 pm

You should've put this much effort into buildIng a bubbler...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:52 pm

Nice work Decan . :clap: ....at first I was going to take the piss and suggest you were going to use this in the set of a "Ken and Barbie " Moonshiners animation .

but I am seriously intrigued :handgestures-thumbupleft: is that a pot into a Slobberbox into a Thumper into a condenser ? ...it seems to have changed a bit from the first setup....Or is a double Thumper setup ?..
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Decan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:05 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:You should've put this much effort into buildIng a bubbler...

Most of it is left over from work I have only bought the con reducer and try clamps I do a lot of welding for work so it's been a piece of piss over a few cans if I am happy with what I can do with this I will upgrade to a bubbler some day
Decan

Postby SBB » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:12 pm

Nice job and cheap too, I hope you have some copper in the system somewhere.
SBB
Lifetime Member

equipment: (The Pelican) a 2 inch pot / stripper on 25L electric boiler interchangable with T500 reflux still...... 2 1/2 inch pot still on 50L keg (gas burner).....
3 inch Boka (half share with Draino),...... 4 inch 4 plate perforated plate Bubbler

Postby Decan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:14 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Nice work Decan . :clap: ....at first I was going to take the piss and suggest you were going to use this in the set of a "Ken and Barbie " Moonshiners animation .

but I am seriously intrigued :handgestures-thumbupleft: is that a pot into a Slobberbox into a Thumper into a condenser ? ...it seems to have changed a bit from the first setup....Or is a double Thumper setup ?..

Thanks yummyrum the first chamber is a slobber box/double thumper/gin basket It's all interchangeable I don't know weather to go into the sides same as the second chamber or into the top as it is in the photo. Ideas and thoughts would be great.
Decan

Postby Decan » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:24 pm

No copper yet easy to get I was just thinking of useing copper scrubbers
Decan

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 pm

No expert on this stuff...only what I seen and read but.

Slobber box is first . It has a pipe in and out but they are short .The idea is so if there is puking and foaming it builds up in the "slobber Box " and doesn't go any further. Usually a "slobber box" has a drain tap on the bottom so any build up in it can be drained off , keeping it relatively empty and ready to receive the next puke

Whereas a Thumper ( doubler) has a Long inlet pipe that goes to the bottom and a Short outlet pipe at the top .The thumper is "primed" with wash ,dunder or old thumper juice at the start of the run and as the run proceeds, it becomes a second point of phase change as the vapour condenses and re-evaporates as it bubbles out the longer inlet pipe through the liquid .

sorry if I'm telling you something you already know :oops:

Regarding side or top entry , I would think the top entry looks good because you can take off the bottom , empty it and re-prime it without upsetting the rest of the rig
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Decan » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:00 pm

image.jpg
image.jpg
Decan

Postby 1 2many » Sun Oct 05, 2014 6:14 pm

Well Decan it is certainly different have to say looks great but I am wondering why... As in why did you go this path :-B

You can source parts by the look so why not go the hole hog and build a bubbler. :think:

Any way interested to here how she goes :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby woodduck » Sun Oct 05, 2014 7:54 pm

Good job mate :handgestures-thumbupleft: . You've done a real good job of the metal finishing. It's definitely a different design and i recon it looks pretty cool.

Goodluck mate i hope she works well for ya.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby Urrazeb » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:17 pm

Yep a :handgestures-thumbupleft: from me.

Nice simple build that will push you to the bubbly side sooner than a simpler pot still

Nice job on the reclaimed parts. Some copper does need to be in the vapour path though.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Next

Return to Pot Stills