My first pot still run

Pot still design and discussion

My first pot still run

Postby Stoney » Sat Sep 06, 2014 12:52 am

So finished off my pot still column last night and gave it a bit of a warm vinegar/steel wool rub on the outside then a vinegar/water run on the boiler.

It was new copper thats been sitting around for years and took a lot of scrubbing to get the oxide off ..

So its first real try tonight running macs rum, my parrot turned out to have a pinhole leak from my hand beaten overflow funnel so ended up leaving it off, had to run a silicon hose on the outlet to keep it under control. No electric on this, just an unmodified keg for boiler over 3 ring burner.

well impressed with the amount of booze out. most jars measured warm at around 70%. stopped collecting at about 35%, the last 4 jars are visibly oily and a couple of cloudy ones, guess thats normal with a pot still..

going to keep a couple of the hearts jars to use as is (bloody nice now!) and rerun the rest later in a proper spirit run later after a few more generations.
I can see the attraction with pot stills, its going to be my new favourite thing I reckon :)
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Re: My first pot still run

Postby Pete8686 » Sat Sep 06, 2014 5:09 am

Nice work stoney looking good. Did you happen to do a sacrificial run? :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8
Pete8686

equipment: 2' stainless boka, copper coil. Homemade pot

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Sep 06, 2014 9:37 am

Nice little unit mate! I love the change of pace from big shiny bubblers and glassers :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Stoney » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:10 am

Pete8686 wrote:Nice work stoney looking good. Did you happen to do a sacrificial run? :handgestures-thumbupleft: 8

I'm not religous. had no wash ready to go but the rum was ready..
inside had a straight vinegar soak for a while, then a good hour or so boiling vinegar/water. then I let it cool a bit and added a bunch of feints to the vinegar and ran that.
after that a close inspection of the inside showed it was spotless in there. albeit still very oxidised.
then I took a lot more foreshots than usual, probably 300ml.

measured each jar last night, total is 4.1 litres.
starts at 70% (at 17.1C) then each jar consistently drops 3 or 4% down to about 35% for the last one.
Stoney

equipment: 55l nixon stone 1 3/8 column, propane + electric
2" pot column

Return to Pot Stills