Can I use this?

Pot still design and discussion

Can I use this?

Postby robduca » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:00 pm

Hey guys,
Been reading this site for a few days now and have learnt a heap.
I want to try a cornflake whisky or similar and have found out my still prob isn't the best for this type of alcohol. I have an old 25L reflux still.
I have been trying to work out how to make a pot still.
I might have a keg lined up.
Do people recommend elements or gas burner for heat?

I have stainless steel piping at work which I will try use.
Hopefully someone can tell me if I understand pot stills correctly. The vertical from the keg is straight tubing with no cooling. Do I need access into this section for addition of copper scrubbers (and would someone have a pic of what these are)?
Then 180* elbows and through a condenser.
Would stainless steel piping with a water jacket around do the job as the condenser? I have a feeling I might have some jacketed piping at work. Will have to check on Monday.
Does anyone use laboratory glass condensers? If so, how do you connect it to the stainless? I have a couple of these at work too.

From what I understand, a parrot is an open top barometric leg that holds the alcometer in to test strength? Is this just a luxury item and not needed to start with?

If there is anyone near Bunbury, I would love to pop round and check out your still.

Thanks guys.
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Re: Can I use this?

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:35 pm

You may find that you will need a comparatively high water flow for cooling if you managed to hook that glass condenser up to gas powered keg boiler.
Make a longer condenser out of stainless or copper
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Postby choppy » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:41 pm

Yeah mate, you want a condenser which is a minimum of 700mm long to allow for effective cooling of your vapour.

that's my take on things anyway.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby robduca » Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:46 pm

Cheers guys
I figured the glass one would be too hard to connect and use.

What about the stainless steel pipe with a water jacket?
robduca

equipment: 5 Star modular 4" 5 plate bubbler with 500mm packed section on 50L keg boiler!!

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:09 pm

Yep SS will work, but depending on the wall thickness may not be as effective as copper in the heat transfer
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Muppet » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:14 pm

I cant see why it wouldn't work rob, stainless transferes heat quite well although parts for a copper leiberg and that size copper is easy to get/many examples here to copy. Someone here would have better knowledge of heat transfer comparisons between staino and copper than me. Im looking at making a copper pot for my T500 as its easy for me to do at home with soft solder, Is well documented here and well I'd rather not fab something at work and deal with the questions. (Either way you need some copper in the vapor path)
Muppet

equipment: T500, 4" 4 plate copper bubbler ;)

Postby benpandaae86 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:39 pm

Copper has a better heat transfer than stainless i built my liebig out of stainless and its thirsty uses a lot of water to cool here is a pic i found when i was lookin at building one that makes it simple just make the lengths longer and you will have a great cooler
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby flamehawk » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:33 pm

Forget the glass.

mate, head to the scrap metal yard. You will find 2" copper pipe without a worry and you'll be done and dusted for $40 bucks.

have a chat to five star distilling for the 2" furrel.

Take a look in the pot still section and build yourself one. It will only take a few hours and you have a much better rig.

I do have a build in there for one i built and I'd be happy to send you the dimensions.

FH
flamehawk

equipment: 4 plate custom built bubbler
50k Keg
2400w element

Postby bt1 » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:57 am

you want a condenser which is a minimum of 700mm long to allow for effective cooling of your vapour.

Geez well in that case I'll need to throw my three condensers out. Thanks for the accurate, detailed advice.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:58 am

bt1 wrote:
you want a condenser which is a minimum of 700mm long to allow for effective cooling of your vapour.

Geez well in that case I'll need to throw my three condensers out. Thanks for the accurate, detailed advice.

bt1

Pot calling kettle?

Your post is just as helpful.

Most staino ones I have seen are shotgun style condensers so having more tubes you can get away with having it shorter. Not sure how well a staino Liebig would go as I haven't run one. Copper ones work fine, it's also not just the length but the angle, if it's closer to horizontal it will be more efficient as there will be more contact time before exiting.

If running gas some prefer an extra long condenser which helps get the output well away from the flame. I reckon crows one was 1.5m :think: but you could get away with a lot less, I reckon my old pot still was 1m. Also depends on pipe sizes used, I would either go 3/4 over 1/2 or 1 over 3/4 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Also be aware if you buy copper from a scrap yard there is a possibility that the pipe has previously carried anything from shit to medical waste, up to you wether you are happy with how well you can clean it ;-)

Also a parrot is a handy tool to watch real time ABV but it is not a necessity, you can always take readings periodically through the run to see what is happening :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby robduca » Sat Nov 15, 2014 4:38 pm

Is there a detailed pic of a copper condenser?
Is it just thin piping running through thicker piping (water jacket)?
I just assumed it would need to be a coil inside 2inch piping, but most pics I look at have thinner pipe so not sure it has cooled copper in.
Might seem like stupid questions to most, but just learning :)
robduca

Postby Sam. » Sat Nov 15, 2014 5:42 pm

I assume you are talking about a product condenser so yes a basic water jacket is what is known as a Liebig condenser :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The pic benpanda put earlier is about as detailed as your going to get
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:51 pm

The pic of the liebig condesor i found on google i took a screen shot of it and then followed the link at the bottom
Last edited by Sam. on Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed shit
benpandaae86

Postby robduca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:31 pm

I have had a quick look at work and found a few condensers. Ill have another look in acouple days to see if I can find any more!

Not sure if this one is too small?
Its 350mm long, 1/2inch internal pipe, 1 1/2 inch external pipe

This one, not sure if its too big or not enough of a difference in pipe size.
About 750mm long, 1 1/2 inch internal pipe, 2 inch external pipe.

Cheers
Rob
robduca

Postby Zak Griffin » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:53 pm

That first short one might be worth a shot mate :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Urrazeb » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:29 pm

Not as a liebig it wont. If that was a shotgun though you'd be in business, it's SS as well so slightly less heat transfer.

Id be looking at the 750mm one mate.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby robduca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:17 pm

Man its hard to decide what to do. I think a few more days trawling through the forum is in order before I make a decision.

I have stumbled across an old chiller at work that has some coper piping on it. Mainly 3" piping lengths of about 600 so might need to join a couple for height? A few lengths of 4 1/2 inch, but think that is way too big
Would 600mm be sufficient height for the column off the still?
I will have a look through for more condenser plans if I do end up going copper.

Thanks again guys. Appreciate the input
robduca

Postby robduca » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:39 pm

I don't mind the look of something like this. I found it in one of the still threads from Mac.
Looks simple enough to build, easy to run. I would just need power control for the element I guess?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
robduca

Postby sp0rk » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:02 pm

My pot still is a 500mm 2.5" column and a 550mm 2.5" shotgun condenser, your lengths are plenty big enough to build something similar
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby benpandaae86 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 4:09 pm

Im goin to be making a small pot still head to go on my dads reflux boiler for xmas i was goin to keep it simple and make it like this but a lil taller (as he has a normal lid and not this big one)all out of copper it will be a easy build with standard bits of copper and bends that will push together and be soldered up
benpandaae86

Next

Return to Pot Stills