39% and 50L
At the 10L mark and now at 80%
Bosvelk

equipment: Pot still

Re: Bosvelk's 4" Pot Still

Postby Bosvelk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:12 pm

26L in total,
Get to make my cuts today :)
Any one used the 5l or 10l barrels from eBay?
They sand the out side and varnish them but it states no glue or wax used on inside and has a medium charr
5l $100 plus shipping
10l $169 plus shipping
Bosvelk

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:40 pm

You don't want varnish on your barrel... I would go with dominoes to start, and get a good barrel from someone like Roll Out The Barrel :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Bosvelk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:58 pm

Too bad 5 star are out of stock of dominos for a few months
That's why I asked about the barrels cause they land in a couple of days haha
Bosvelk

Postby sp0rk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:24 pm

Bosvelk wrote:Too bad 5 star are out of stock of dominos for a few months

Get on to Roll Out The Barrel, they also sell oak offcuts from their barrel ends
http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au/
sp0rk

equipment: 2.5" pot still
2.5" shotty PC
50L boiler
2.5" Tee Plate Boka
4" 4 plate glass bubbler in the build stage

Postby WTDist » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:26 pm

sp0rk wrote:
Bosvelk wrote:Too bad 5 star are out of stock of dominos for a few months

Get on to Roll Out The Barrel, they also sell oak offcuts from their barrel ends
http://www.rolloutthebarrel.com.au/

:text-+1:

they even post
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Postby shauno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:40 pm

Ive got 3 Roll Out The Barrel 25L ones 2 American and 1 French. Bit big though lol so going to have to buy some smaller ones or distill heaps more :laughing-rolling:
shauno

equipment: Interesting stuff

Postby Bosvelk » Mon Aug 15, 2016 3:03 pm

I get my big barrel and 800l of wine on the weekend, might just wait for that...
Cutting it up in to strips etc :)
Bosvelk

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:00 pm

Far out man ya sure not muckin about for someone that only just got started,I use dominoes and four 25lt glass demi's for storage and oaking with silicone bungs and airlocks plus a 50lt stainless keg for feints,be carefull with ya oaking choice as commiting a large volume without testing or experience will be a big risk after all the hard work you have gone to,a big part of oaking is getting the spirit to were you like it ,wich is an individual thing as some like a heavy oak and some less ,others find french oak gives them the tastes they like or american oak may work for others ,after a few trials I found a 50-50 mix at 10grms or less per liter for between 3-6months works for me,regular samples will reduce ya chances of over oaking .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Zak Griffin » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:04 pm

Billy speaks wisdom :-B

Better off trying a few different things with your first few batches to find something you really like, rather than throwing all of your eggs into one barrel...
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby shauno » Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:11 pm

I know I bought my 25L barrels on a whim not thinking properly lol. Got them now so ill use them at some stage.
shauno

equipment: Interesting stuff

Postby hillzabilly » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:01 pm

On a hobby or small scale ,I found it worked much better and was much more predictable and repeatable to put the oak into the spirit (dominoes)rather than the spirit into oak (barrels),with the dominoes your oaking will be consistent with each batch if ya use the same amount and take the same time,but with barrels with each batch your oaking will be different and each batch will take longer as the oak in the barrel gets depleted .Wich is a big thing when you want to repeat your succesfull efforts at a later date or change the amounts your useing . cheers hillzabilly ;-)
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby bluc » Mon Aug 15, 2016 7:22 pm

hillzabilly wrote:Far out man ya sure not muckin about for someone that only just got started,I use dominoes and four 25lt glass demi's for storage and oaking with silicone bungs and airlocks plus a 50lt stainless keg for feints,be carefull with ya oaking choice as commiting a large volume without testing or experience will be a big risk after all the hard work you have gone to,a big part of oaking is getting the spirit to were you like it ,wich is an individual thing as some like a heavy oak and some less ,others find french oak gives them the tastes they like or american oak may work for others ,after a few trials I found a 50-50 mix at 10grms or less per liter for between 3-6months works for me,regular samples will reduce ya chances of over oaking .cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You use an airlock in ageing vessel? Does the airlock ever cycle? Just curious
bluc
Site Donor

equipment: 2" pot with 2" shotty 400mm long 5x 1/2" on a t500 boiler.
50l keg boiler 4" still mount 4" sight glass 1" drain..
4 plate 4" bubbler, 600mm packed section

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:34 am

I have only noticed a few bubbles exiting as the shed warms up ,then at night a few bubbles going back in as things cool down,they are filled with 65%ABV, 25lt and glass so for me I would not like them ta be under any pressure,barrels are sealed per say ,BUT the oak will breath to a degree wich is something that I think helps make the process work(so varnished or waxed barrels just will not do the job) with a fully sealed oak barrel,were as when useing the dominoes in a glass or stainless container I think the airlock allows the spirit ta breath to a degree and let any higher volatiles escape,I would not want the angels ta miss out either ,as I have noticed a very slight loss of volume after maturation.cheers hillzabilly :D
Last edited by hillzabilly on Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

Postby Bosvelk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 12:38 am

Reason for the 800L of wine is that it's going down the drain or I take it and try make a nice brandy out of it or sum of it,
The barrel I'll be dismantling and cutting into strips and trying things like as is with port staining on it, Charing, toasting etc...
And yes for now I'll stick to small 2l or 5L glass bottles for aging with small amounts of oak etc
Bosvelk

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 1:05 am

Thats a f#*ken good score mate ,800lt wine free,and when the garbo picks up ya bin and the rest of the street hear's nothing but bottles breakin into the truck for the next few weeks and you start getting weired looks,it will be even funnier,experiment away but keep good records and label everything well ,sounds like this hobbys got you real bad and I hope you realize there is no antidote .cheers hillzabilly :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
hillzabilly

Postby wynnum1 » Tue Aug 16, 2016 6:37 am

Do you get the barrel would think that would be wanted returned.
wynnum1

Postby Bosvelk » Tue Aug 16, 2016 7:46 am

Haha the wine is in one of those 1000Lt IBC storage tanks thankfully
And nah I get to keep the barrel :)
Bosvelk

Postby dogbreath vodka » Tue Aug 16, 2016 10:14 am

Stainless kegs for storage.
Hate to see all that hard work go on the floor if the glass demi breaks. :scared-eek:

If you can get your hands on a 30ltr or some of the older 25 or 40's they work well.
If not, you can leave plenty of head room in a 50ltr, they are easy to get.

Cut the top out and fit a 4 or 6 inch ferrule, easy to load and unload oak dominoes.

Just sayin'
dogbreath vodka

equipment: "Steampunk 2 - 6" Bubble cap
"Jimmy" the 4" Carter head

Postby hillzabilly » Tue Aug 16, 2016 3:16 pm

Was lucky ta find two old five gallon kegs ,1 swan brewery and 1 kalgoolie brewery,they are good as they have nearly a 4inch opening standard even the old 10-18gal ones have this large opening ,certainly worth keeping ya eye out on gumtree etc,I only have one now as the 5gal size was perfect for a thumper on an 18gal keg, I also have used a 70lt stainless olive oil can wich has a milk can size screw on lid and a quality stainless tap,they are not cheap and do come in smaller size's tho,I see a 100lt one in the for sale section for $350,cannot deny stainless is safer than glass.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

PreviousNext

Return to Pot Stills