Best Option: Single Inline Thumper or 2 plates

Pot still design and discussion

Best Option: Single Inline Thumper or 2 plates

Postby WTDist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:54 pm

So with the need to spend some serious (serious to me anyway) dollars at FSD soon i need to sell my 2" so im thinking of adding a modular section to it before i put it up for sale.

wondering what people think would be best. Going to make a 4" section for the 2" before i sell it but throwing ideas around in my head and its time to ask what others think.

There is a 100mm 5 tube 2" RC 1/2" internals on the 2" pot/refulx hybrid. 500mm packed section or empty.

Got 150mm section of 4" i can spare and ill make reducers to get it from 2"-4" and back to 2".

My thoughts are;

i can either make a single 4" thumper with 130mm bath and have it hold 1L (after 2" Cap) so pot and inline thumper with RC setup, or

2 plate's, 100mm first plate to second plate distance and second to use last 50mm of 4" plus reducer and column above with 2 options.
. option 1: 50mm bath depth first plate, 25mm depth second plate
. option 2: 25mm bath depth both plates

Wondering what people would think would be best. Want to design it to be a single run for whoever ends up with it with best results and seperation that can be achieved, not a half arsed job.

Im leaning towards option 1, 50mm depth first plate 25mm second. Thinking this would have a better product output ABV and speed than option 2 or just a thumper all under a 100mm 2" RC which will be able to reflux no worries on bubbler.

what do people think, single inline thumper with RC, or 2 plates with RC with the option 1 or 2. Or other?

Cheers
WT
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Re: Best Option: Single Inline Thumper or 2 plates

Postby hillzabilly » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:31 pm

My opinion would be ta sell as is or mount it in the man cave,unless you think you can get ya money back for the extra cost and time ,and are you sure it will work that well,focus your effort and $ on your 5star purchase wich has very well proven outcomes,and that comes from somebody that has 6 old handmade stills on the shelf ,trying to overcomplicate things in this hobby does not allways work out well ,and since I made my purchace at 5star I have never used any of the said 6 stills again,but couldnot bare ta part with them,your choice .cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby warramungas » Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:46 pm

hillzabilly wrote:My opinion would be ta sell as is or mount it in the man cave,unless you think you can get ya money back for the extra cost and time ,and are you sure it will work that well,focus your effort and $ on your 5star purchase wich has very well proven outcomes,and that comes from somebody that has 6 old handmade stills on the shelf ,trying to overcomplicate things in this hobby does not allways work out well ,and since I made my purchace at 5star I have never used any of the said 6 stills again,but couldnot bare ta part with them,your choice .cheers hillzabilly

:text-+1:
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Meatheadinc » Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:07 pm

Both options sound like work and/or cash....
Personally i wouldn't waste my time/money.
Time to move on to bigger and better things and cut your loses.
Sell as is or keep it for sentiment.
Meatheadinc

equipment: 2" LM/VM on 30L boiler
4" FSD Neutraliser 50L boiler
4" carter head thump column
"Control Freak"- Semi Automation

Postby WTDist » Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:28 pm

good advice, i think ill take it. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Return to Pot Stills