First pot still build

Pot still design and discussion

First pot still build

Postby Rockybrewa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:30 am

Hey guys,

I have finished my first pot still build. 500mm 2" column to a 1000mm 3/4 over 1/2 condenser. total cost for the still head less than 100 dollars.

pot still.jpg

Its super basic so i could practice my new found skill of soldering and get a feel for it. i will add a stainless steel double compression union between the two 90 degree elbows so the condenser output is height adjustable.

everything went pretty well apart form the 2" SS ferrule i purchased from a brew shop turned out to be 1-3/4". they did not have the correct size in stock and told me they are waiting for an ebay shipment. with my wife not being a huge fan of me driving across Perth on my day off to spend more money on something she doesn't particularly care about i had to make do. I cut a small slit in the bottom of the column and hammered it down a 1/4" to fit the ferrule i do have. soldered it up, looks a bit rough but its a strong join (can support the attached keg at 90 degrees) and is sealed. when the correct part does arrive i will just lop off an inch and re solder the correct ferrule.

This will serve its purpose for now so i can get distilling some rum and whiskey. very keen to try the recipes on this site. I have plenty of time to construct a shotgun condenser and build the pot still head i want. the guy at the copper shop sold me 2 meters of 2" pipe for about 40 bucks so i have plenty to work with.

just wanted to say thanks to all the people who have made excellent threads on here. couldnt have done it safely with out you.

Scotty.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Rockybrewa

equipment: Currently building a 4" bubbler
2" Pot still on 50l keg boiler
T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Re: First pot still build

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:41 am

Looks good mate! That condenser should be able to knock down a fair bit, if you build a shotgun it'll be ready to go on your 4" bubbler though :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You could make an easy flange for the connection instead of buying another ferrule, too... ;-)
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

equipment: "The Heart of Gold" - 4" Bubbler - finally bubbling!
"Zaphod" - 3" Pot - retired
"Agrajag" - 6" Bubbler - midlife crisis build?

Postby Toddles » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:43 am

Nice looking workmanship mate. You have a really good name too :music-deathmetal:

I wonder how guys clean out these kegs after a rum wash has been put them, i ran my first one yesterday and my boiler was filthy.
Using an open top boiler here so cleaning is easy but with a keg it would be a pita i would imagine.

Anyway have fun mate, you will be hooked in no time!
Toddles
Site Donor

equipment: 30 ltr boiler
2" coil pc
3" 1 metre packed stainless for neutral -95.6% abv
3" 370mm unpacked for pot stilling -81% abv + 1/2 inch air cooled worm

Postby Mrs Mac » Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:56 am

Hi Rockybrewa,

Not sure on were in WA you are but if you are still waiting on the ferrule we have stock available in our store located in Maddington. Or you could shoot me an email and we can have one sent to you.

You will probably need to have your copper pipe expanded to fit over the ferrule and if your not to far away bring it in and we can do this in store for you.

Cheers Mrs Mac
@};-
Mrs Mac
Lifetime Member

equipment: bubble wrap
sticky tape gun
stanley knife

Postby Rockybrewa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:13 pm

Mrs Mac wrote:Hi Rockybrewa,

Not sure on were in WA you are but if you are still waiting on the ferrule we have stock available in our store located in Maddington. Or you could shoot me an email and we can have one sent to you.

You will probably need to have your copper pipe expanded to fit over the ferrule and if your not to far away bring it in and we can do this in store for you.

Cheers Mrs Mac
@};-

Im based down in Rockingham hence the name :-D I was going to try and come up to visit your store but my wife didn't want to play ball. But i will come and visit in the future though. I was hoping the ferrule would just pop right in but if do need the pipe expanded it will be a good excuse to come to your store and say hello.

Zak Griffin wrote:Looks good mate! That condenser should be able to knock down a fair bit, if you build a shotgun it'll be ready to go on your 4" bubbler though :handgestures-thumbupleft:

You could make an easy flange for the connection instead of buying another ferrule, too... ;-)

I can run that burner pretty hard so the length was a bit of an insurance policy so i didn't muck it up the first time around. stripping in this should be a piece of cake (i hope). I was going to make and easy flange to begin with but the price of the SS ferrules is very cheap so i thought what the hey. the only question that remains is should i make a 2" shotgun, or buy some adapters and make a 3" or a 4" shotgun? i plan to make it up to 500mm. I don't what overkill is here and i have not done the math yet. I plan on building an improved 2" pot still, a 2" boka (i really like the idea of this type of still) and a plate/bubbler (although not for long time).
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby prawnz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:54 pm

Appologies if this sounds silly .

So your 3/4 over half inch means the 3/4 is a water jacket with the 1/2 running in a straight line thru it ?

Cheers Al
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Zak Griffin » Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:56 pm

Prawnz, a 3/4" over 1/2" Liebig is exactly that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The 500mm long 2" shotgun (i think it had 7x 3/8" inners) on my old pot would handle my 10L/hr strip runs with a trickle of water... For anything less than a 6" still, a 500mm x 2" shotty will do the job easily.
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby prawnz » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Thanks Zak , its good to put a photo to a description like that .
prawnz

equipment: SS Super Reflux with home made 2in 800mm packed extension with RC coil built in .

Postby Rockybrewa » Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:06 pm

Zak Griffin wrote:Prawnz, a 3/4" over 1/2" Liebig is exactly that :handgestures-thumbupleft:

The 500mm long 2" shotgun (i think it had 7x 3/8" inners) on my old pot would handle my 10L/hr strip runs with a trickle of water... For anything less than a 6" still, a 500mm x 2" shotty will do the job easily.

Awesome. Should be a bit easier on the wallet with 2 inch pipe.
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Bosvelk » Mon Jul 18, 2016 11:26 am

Hey mate,
I'm from rocko too, I'm busy building my 4 inch pot on a 100l boiler,
If you need any copper, head down to TMR scrap yard one street back from Dixon road,
They often have copper and stainless and there stuff changes daily, went past there once when I needed 4 inch they had everything but :( 8" 6" 3 1/2" 3" 2 1/2" 2" and all the small stuff
They know me well and what I'm building so just tell me and they let ya go for a walk and a dig through,
And I'm waiting on my 5 star delivery :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bosvelk

equipment: Pot still

Postby Kenster » Mon Jul 18, 2016 6:50 pm

Hey, Bos'...that is a seriously nice pot build
Kenster

equipment: Still Spirits... turbo 500...retired.(Boiler retained, added 3kw element with variable temp)
RPG...3''x1200mm LM/VM combo...400mm double wound coldie
3''x1200mm copper pot & shares leibig from combo.

Postby Rockybrewa » Mon Jul 18, 2016 9:19 pm

Bosvelk wrote:Hey mate,
I'm from rocko too, I'm busy building my 4 inch pot on a 100l boiler,
If you need any copper, head down to TMR scrap yard one street back from Dixon road,
They often have copper and stainless and there stuff changes daily, went past there once when I needed 4 inch they had everything but :( 8" 6" 3 1/2" 3" 2 1/2" 2" and all the small stuff
They know me well and what I'm building so just tell me and they let ya go for a walk and a dig through,
And I'm waiting on my 5 star delivery :)

Hey mate, thanks for the hot tip. I have been looking around building material scrap yards with no luck, i will give these guys a look for sure. I have been going to Samios plumbing supplies and they have been super helpful. The guy there gave me two meters of 2" for the price of one.

Your still looks amazing too. hope one day i could put something like that together.

cheers...
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Bosvelk » Mon Jul 18, 2016 10:45 pm

They process there stuff fast so one day to the next they can have heaps or nothing so might need a few visits or just pop in when your driving down Dixon road
Bosvelk

equipment: Pot still

Postby Rockybrewa » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:05 pm

Hi gents. Just an update on the final fittings that have completed this 2" pot. I have stripped 4 gens of McRum so far and starting out on an UJSSM. Super happy with it. Turned out great. Also good to cut my teeth on fabrication in preparation for a 4" bubbler next year. Happy stillin' people.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I got no idea why the pics appear sideways lol
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Zak Griffin » Sat Aug 20, 2016 6:06 am

When you click on the pics they straighten up...

Nice work mate! Good to see the SS SwageLok union there... They're not cheap, but its a small price to pay for having lead free booze!
Zak Griffin
Lifetime Member

Postby Rockybrewa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:15 am

Would you believe it was less than 5 dollars from a plumbing supply shop. Works a treat though :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:26 am

:? Are you sure it's stainless and not chrome plated?
Those fitting usually only come in brass and chrome plated brass from my experience.
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Rockybrewa » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:35 am

It is stamped 316 and I even took hack saw blade to a bit of it to double make sure. I spent a while at the supplier questioning that very matter. Positive it's stainless steel.
Rockybrewa

T500 still (borrowed)
3V all grain beer rig
Mega jet burner

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Aug 20, 2016 8:53 am

Awsome buy them for $5!!! Gotta be happy with that :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby WTDist » Sat Aug 20, 2016 9:21 am

Great first build man :handgestures-thumbupleft:

i was looking at a swakelok yesterday. 1/2" stainless valve with compression fittings on each end. looks like the nut part is brass but the olive thing is SS so i figure it is ok??
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

Next

Return to Pot Stills