my new thang (credit to professor green)

Pot still design and discussion

Re: my new thang (credit to professor green)

Postby Maritsio2016 » Thu Jul 21, 2016 10:47 pm

Professor Green wrote:
Maritsio2016 wrote:
Professor Green wrote:Nice one! What's the stability of the boiler like with that lot on top. I would have thought it would be a prone to toppling due to the condenser and parrot being offset so much.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Surprisingly stable but will brace it up to the rafters in the shed for extra support till I get a decent boiler made.

Once you get some liquid in the boiler, it should make it a little more stable but I found even with a full boiler my 2" pot still had a tendency to be top heavy (note this was not the standard 2" pot the FSD sell but on I knocked together out of 2" parts I had handy).

Definitely worth tethering the top to something!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Exactly right mate got some solid beams to brace back to. Just ordered a first tee from Mac as well can't wait to get it going.
Maritsio2016

equipment: 4"4 Plate FSD Bubbler, 2x packed sections, 50L milk can with 2x 2400W elements

Postby Professor Green » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:21 pm

I'd be VERY careful if you're thinking of adding a tee or two to that setup on top of a T500 boiler mate, they're quite heavy and the T500 lid is not that strong. I think you'll be asking for trouble.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby TasSpirits » Fri Jul 22, 2016 6:35 pm

Maritsio2016 wrote:
Professor Green wrote:
Maritsio2016 wrote:
Professor Green wrote:Nice one! What's the stability of the boiler like with that lot on top. I would have thought it would be a prone to toppling due to the condenser and parrot being offset so much.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Surprisingly stable but will brace it up to the rafters in the shed for extra support till I get a decent boiler made.

Once you get some liquid in the boiler, it should make it a little more stable but I found even with a full boiler my 2" pot still had a tendency to be top heavy (note this was not the standard 2" pot the FSD sell but on I knocked together out of 2" parts I had handy).

Definitely worth tethering the top to something!

Cheers,
Prof. Green.

Exactly right mate got some solid beams to brace back to. Just ordered a first tee from Mac as well can't wait to get it going.

Good to see you are getting the rest of your gear from Mac :handgestures-thumbupleft:
TasSpirits

equipment: Some FSD Gear as well as some home-made

Previous

Return to Pot Stills