sight glass in a boka?

Reflux still design and discussion

sight glass in a boka?

Postby woodduck » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:34 am

Hi all
Tell me I'm crazy but I had a thought last night about putting a sight glass in my 2inch boka wtf. I love the look of the bubblers but out of my price range at the moment but wondered if this would work I see mac has 2" sgk's there just a matter of fitting a "t" (was thinking of making my head detachable anyway). Also would a mini purf plate work right up the top under the slanted plates above my packed section? Thought this would look pretty cool. Any thoughts?
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Re: sight glass in a boka?

Postby C2H6O » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:42 am

Hey mate, check this thread out.. Gutted i didn't see this when i made mine

viewtopic.php?t=5034&p=85223
C2H6O

equipment: VM/LM combo on 50L keg powered by 2400w

Postby TheMechwarrior » Wed Jul 16, 2014 10:46 am

It's only bling but it will work, downside is it will be a cold spot in your reflux still, not ideal but it will work regardless.
An alternative to a tee is a cylinder which I use at the top of my VM. See link above for example or my 2" build thread below.
Think about putting a centering ring on top of the tee, then send us a vid of your boka in operation :D
TheMechwarrior

equipment: Five Star Distilling 6" neutraliser with
100L boiler

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Jul 16, 2014 12:51 pm

I put sight glasses on mine.....not a Boka but a VM /LM .
I found it very handy ij the first place to observe reflux volume.
Its cool to look at..particularly the way the condensate runs down the reflux coil.

I also can see the amount of flash vapourizing on the top cap and use it to optimize coolant flow.

And did I say it looks cool ;-)

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=2950#p42455
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 17, 2014 12:01 am

Thanks for your feedback I knew I wouldn't have been the only one thinking of that. I guess I need to learn how to search this site better I had a look around but didn't see those threads so once again thanks.

Oh and I've got something a little different in mind. I'll keep you posted. Not sure if it'll work yet but we'll have to wait and see.
Does the glass need to be a certain type? eg tempered.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby woodduck » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:38 pm

Hi all
Well I've been thinking about this idea of sight glasses in my boka and thought I might try for something different(well I think it is you guys have probably got a link to someone who has already done it :laughing-rolling: )
I thought I might try using a couple of JD's bottles one for a sight glass under my boka head to watch the overflow run back down the column and maybe with a simple perf plate or two in it. Then one above my head with the coil built into it to watch the vapor condense. Not sure if this will work or not or even if the bottles will handle the heat.
I have had a couple of bottles cut up to suit they just need a bit of a touch up to get rid of the sharp edges. I will make a couple of custom square to rounds to suit the bigger square bottles to my 2"copper column out of stainless and I will seal all joints with silicon backing sheet. Use 2"tri clamps to hold all the sections together. Anyway I've attached a couple of photos for you all to look at. (Sorry drawings are not great just knocked them up while sitting in the car watching the kids train for sport then just photo on my phone but you should get the idea.)

Any feed back will be more than welcome.

Don't hold back you can't hurt my feelings cause I've only got one left and I keep that at home in a jar so no one can hurt it. :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

I may be dreaming but I won't know if I don't try.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

Postby bt1 » Thu Jul 24, 2014 6:42 pm

Ideas fine just no fan of plain glass in a still.

I'd be looking for a good Soda/Lime or preferably Borosilicate glass. They withstand thermal shock fairly durable...

See the glasser build threads for a bit more detail.

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Return to Reflux Stills