removing the packing from a reflux still

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: removing the packing from a reflux still

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 9:15 pm

This the stuff I 'm talking about ..not sure if its what you got

Misc 045.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:17 pm

crow wrote: The Ultra Pure stills structured copper packingis wound in to an exact tension and density to create a predetermined "hight equivalent theoretic plate" rating that was determined to be the optimin for the hight x diameter + take off rate while maintaining an equilibrium.

Whoo ...missed this bit Crow...so how are they selling SS packing as a replacement when they were originally packed with Copper ?
Yummyrum

Postby choppy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:29 pm

Mine has SS mesh not copper. My cousin bought one in Melbourne a few months ago and his has SS also.
choppy

equipment: PD reflux still
home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Yummyrum » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:32 pm

Damn .....the 1 second edit limit got me again.

Well Sorry again Crow , total Dickead here ....just realized Ultra pure and Pure Distilling are not the same words and perhaps the "Clones " that you were referring to ..........Crawling into Box of much embarrassment :oops: :oops:
Yummyrum

Postby MacStill » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:37 pm

Yummyrum wrote:Damn .....the 1 second edit limit got me again.

Well Sorry again Crow , total Dickead here ....just realized Ultra pure and Pure Distilling are not the same words and perhaps the "Clones " that you were referring to ..........Crawling into Box of much embarrassment :oops: :oops:

The edit time limit is 10 minute mate, you have more than enough time to edit & there's also the post preview button for proof reading "before" you make the commitment to submit.

Instead of exaggerating and whinging you could PM one of our helpful team to sort it out for you, however posts will not be edited after it's been responded to as this just looks dishonest :violence-smack:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby choppy » Wed Aug 20, 2014 10:46 pm

The unit i have is marketed as the pure distilling ultra pure still.

So maybe they are the same animal?
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby Brendan » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:43 pm

MacStill wrote:$17.50 for pot scrubbers, fucking gouging bastards.... same thing from Bunnings is just under $7 :scared-eek:

That place is a rip off for everything, typical HBS :handgestures-thumbdown:
Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Postby crow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:16 am

Far canal seems I'm all wrong and full of shit again :roll:
Look my still is an "Ultra Pure" reflux still made in Geelong. It has structured copper mesh and it is wound in, if you guys have something else fine but that is the still I am writing about. it will not "strip" like a pot still because the valve restriction is regulated to 1.5 lts an hr Max!(a speed I never achieved) so what I said will happen will happen. If you drill that out and then remove the packing and then run the guts out of it in strip mode to reduce refluxing, do you not think that you are increasing vapor speed? I can't say I have ever contemplated trying anything so fucking stupid but I will bet my left nut it will fail and you will have highly flammable vapour fluming out the top passed the dimroth condenser, hope ya don't smoke and I'll look for your results in the safety thread x_x
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby choppy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 7:04 am

Thanks again for the advice - so knowledgable and humble to boot.
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby crow » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:31 pm

Ok after looking into it a bit it seems possible the stills are no longer made the way they were (unfortunate) and I guess these scrubbies are pretty much just crammed in how ever and so would be able to be replaced them the same :handgestures-thumbupleft: .
Either way it doesn't change the fact that it will still reflux un-packed just not as well and if you modify the take off to reduce reflux you will also need to increase the energy input to raise the vapour speed and I seriously doubt the condenser will handle it. Just the very nature of how these stills condense and collect condensate is not conducive pot stilling. You are better off with a still that has a lynne arm followed by a condenser for that purpose, it will be 5 times faster, require 1 20th of the coolant water and will produce a full flavoured "pot stilled" spirit rather than some semi stripped out product. My pot still cost me around $50 to make (yeah i know but i got ripped off to the max on a 2" cap) and could strip a 50 ltr wash in 45 minutes start to finish
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:58 pm

choppy wrote:Thanks for taking the time to post Crow. I appreciate any advice I can get. I think I will just wait and get a pot still.

When I was in the HBS this week I noticed they sold replacement packing mesh, the dude in the shop told me he has twice replaced the packing in his PD still.

To clean mine I just pour a citric acid solution through it a dozen times. It ends up an off blue colour.

Here is a web address to the mesh I refer to.

http://newcastlebrewshop.shop033.com/p/ ... h-x-4.html

Here you go, we were at Bunnings yesterday and I thought of you when I seen this ;-)

IMG_0034.jpg

8-}
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby choppy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 5:23 pm

And bunnings is only just up the road!
choppy

home made pot still
50L boiler x 2
100L fermenter x 2
50L fermenter x 2

Postby instill » Tue Aug 18, 2015 7:42 pm

Hi
Check out this and make up your own minds.
Have been making some very nice flavoured rum and whiskey - wheatbix, nutragrain, all bran,cracked corn, cornflakes, rye seeds even ANZAC cookies. Mollasses for the rum...sometimes brown sugar but for the whiskey any combo of the aforementioned plus plain old sugar aged on oak makes for an interesting flavoured spirit. Was told my still could only make neutral but that is not the case. If you have a reflux still without not so fantastic plastic in it you can remove the packing...or just some of it and run it as a pot still. I would not use gas or a fire though because you don't want to boil the bejesus out of it or blow yourself up. If you can regulate the temp all will be well.
Refer to this http://homedistiller.org/calcs/hetp_calcand you may well be able to do what some say can't be done.
Distilling is like the water cycle with a heater and an idiot in control rather than a supernova with no care about our safety at all, which seems to be working just fine here on earth in the Goldolocks zone.
Be the idiot that runs your still but don't be the idiot that blows it up.
And use this site to get recipes and to ask questions and never believe the first thing you read...unless your mum and or nanna told you it's true.
instill

equipment: copper reflux still and extension tower

Postby crow » Sat Aug 22, 2015 12:32 pm

Just because you can eat soup with a pair of. Stilsens dont make em the tool for the job. Yes you can do these things but unless you are running less than one flavoured wash ever few years why would you. A 2" pot still will cost you less than 100 bux to make and you can strip a 50 keg in less than an hr as aposed.to all friggen day with a reflux still
crow

Postby MacStill » Sat Aug 22, 2015 2:02 pm

he obviously didn't hear his mummy or nanna when they told the peanut he dribbles shit :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills