T500. I cleaned my saddles.

Reflux still design and discussion

T500. I cleaned my saddles.

Postby Marbled » Thu Aug 28, 2014 9:48 pm

, this has been covered before..... But.

I cleaned my saddles.

Lots of hot water, lots of Steradent tablets and a soak with regular agitation for half an hour or so. (I divided the ceramics into 4 batches to do the job)

Then I put the copper ones into a very strong solution of boiling water and citric acid.... Just like the ceramics agitated well and often.... Then with fresh water and plenty of citric acid did it again until the copper was copper coloured. (didn't even need to get the citric acid in, it's there waiting for the next TPW!

Give everything a good rinse in fresh water and repack....... What an astounding difference in product.

I'm gobsmacked. A great increase in quality and quantity. I'll be doing it regularly from now on.

You need to do it too.
Marbled

equipment: Bog standard T500, which is what got me into this, without it I wouldn't have bothered.

Re: T500. I cleaned my saddles.

Postby Roger » Sat Sep 06, 2014 10:44 am

Hey Marbled, I unpack my saddles after each run and clean in a solution of white vinegar and water. No bad smells and keeps the lot clean. Didn't realise that lots of people didn't clean theirs every run until I started reading comments in here. But works well for me and if you do it after every run, the smell and buildup on the saddles is quick and easy to clean.

Cheers
Roger

equipment: Still Spirits T500 Reflux Condenser and Boiler.
2" pot still for stripping runs.
FSD Neutraliser with 50 litre milk can boiler and gin caddy.

Return to Reflux Stills