budget boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: budget boka

Postby P3T3rPan » Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:33 pm

The silicone will be temporary at best and has made the job of repairing it properly more difficult.
P3T3rPan

equipment: Self made 100mm copper,6 perforated plates plus packed section on 50L ss keg
60L fermenters. Offset Carter Head
3v beer rig

Postby Mad » Mon Aug 24, 2015 7:55 pm

P3T3rPan wrote:The silicone will be temporary at best and has made the job of repairing it properly more difficult.

It was only ever intended to be a temp fix but it didn't make it any harder to repair as it blew out so none was left in the hole, when I first put silicon on it I didn't push it into the pin hole just smeered it thickly over a larger area to try make a seal. it's already patched up properly ready for next weekends absolute caining it is going to receive. in the end the towel wrapped around it fixed it for the cleaning run lol with the few hours run time the towel wasn't even fully wet the leak was that litte.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby Mad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:34 pm

Got a present in the mail today - my new wheels! Sorry about the blurry pic I didn't notice when I took it. Before and after.
Mad

equipment: SS Super Reflux(retired), 3600w keg boiler, 3" stainless boka with 4 Barrel shotty

Postby rumdidlydum » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:42 pm

Looks weely great :teasing-tease: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
rumdidlydum

equipment: The infamous Illuminated chicken leg boiler, Rum glass and other bits and bobs

Postby 1 2many » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:46 pm

rumdidlydum wrote:Looks weely great :teasing-tease: :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Hahah you got me rolling :)) :teasing-tease: :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Mad » Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:54 pm

I'm wheely happy with it too simple to level out only thing I overlooked since the budget buy for pack of 4 wheels (eBay if you want a link let me know) none are lockable but don't plan on pushing it while it's fully loaded up and running anyway don't think it will drive away lol :text-thankyoublue: so happy with new setup many fun times ahead and then onto the next build
Mad

Postby Mad » Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:01 am

Completed 2 stripping runs of some 50ltr tpw this weekend full config no packing wide open. Results in first 1 took 3 hours inc boil time and i used 700ltrs of water for cooling :scared-eek: . 2nd 1 took just shy of 3hrs inc boiling and at a guess cuz the ibc filled up at around the 2/2.5hr mark i probably used about 500ltrs of water. Out of the 2 strips i ended up with 25ltrs low wines @ 46% collecting all the way down to 20% on each run. Next wknd should be the spirit run and im shooting for 95%.

Im going to play with bokas configuration a bit for stripping and using it as a pot in the futurebut as it stands the condensor can knock down vapour easily as so i plan on monitoring and using less water each time although now i have recirc setup it doesnt matter so much :dance: . Told my wife how much water i used :violence-stickwhack:
Mad

Postby Mad » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:21 pm

Image taadaaaaaa

first spirit run with new boka also first run with new recirc water system. few observations straight up. up for peoples suggestions as always.

The boka performed flawlessly on tap water during stripping runs of TPW @ full power (3600w)
spirit run on recirc tank I've had a bit of vapour reaching past the condensor @full power knocked it back to about 3200w and it's sitting happily as far as I can see with my mirror. available flow rate from pump is calculated and observed well aove anything I could acheive out of my mains tap so it's not flow related. tested tap water temp today and it was on par with the recirc tank so water supply itself is neither here nor there, it is what it is, although I do know my recirc will continue to rise were tap wouldn't. the double wound coil (look for pics up further) is hardly flawed (kinks etc). it was about 190mm long and I've packed it loosly with ss scrubers until I get some copper 1's. I probably have another 10-20mm at most between coil and top plate, should I stretch out the coil as it is fairly compacted still so I could contact vapour earlier? The top is still open I wondered if I did use a cap with a hole in it what is the % that would actually condense on the underside of the cap compared to escape - not a 100% fix solution but maybe a step towards it. This is all aimed at being able to throw full heat at it.

I'm achieving 93.8% and there about's while i'm still playing with off take flow rates experimenting a bit, I could probably pack the coloumn a bit tighter I think in future too.
Mad

Postby Mad » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:27 pm

woooaahh sorry about the size and being a bit blurry. had a few 2 many already I think :obscene-drinkingdrunk:
Mad

Postby Nino » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:52 pm

Nice looking rig :)
Nino

equipment: Black Mangus reflux still and 30lt boiler. 4" Modular pot still from FSD. Now a 50lt keg boiler with 2 2400 watt heating elements and a controller. 5 plate bubbler with a 500mm packed section

Postby Mad » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:04 pm

thanks just changed back to tap supply real quickly to test it out and compare as now there is about 5deg difference
Mad

Postby benpandaae86 » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:47 am

Whats the head height on ur pump and how far from the tank is it
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 12:38 pm

5mtr head height tank is about 3mtrs away if that bought 4mtrs of poly only used bit under 3 inc depth of tank
Mad

Postby Mad » Sat Sep 05, 2015 8:58 pm

Can anyone tell me i had the 800mm bottom section packed but i didnt have the rest of the column packed bellow the plates im thinking this was a major oversight on my behalf is that right? I should pack that column too, closer to the plates rather than closer to the boilerand having an empty section up high? Going to pack this section with copper scrubbers i think.
Mad

Postby benpandaae86 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 1:24 am

Defo pack both sections it increases the surface area which takes up your number of theoritcal plates
benpandaae86

equipment: 50l keg boiler 3600w element power controler
Reflux with extension tower with adaptor for keg
2" SS pot still modified leibig condenser
next mission building the next one (probably a 4" bubbler)

Postby Mad » Sun Sep 06, 2015 11:42 am

yeah not sure why i didn't do that just didn't think about it was only afterwards when i was packing it all up i realised i could have kicked myself. trick will be trying to pack it and not have it touching the plate as I've got no way of knowing
Mad

Postby Mad » Sun Oct 11, 2015 8:07 am

So the shotty although worked fine unfortunately it was too much weight to hang like it was. It would flex etc very easily. So to save myself drama i got this knocked up 500mm long 1/2 fittings with the outside pipes ID of 30mm pipe. Its fairly thin walled outer tube to save on weight well under half of the shotty. Was pressure tested all sweet i havent trialed it as yet on the rig. Image
Mad

Postby Undertaker » Sun Oct 11, 2015 6:25 pm

Hey MAD,
What purpose does the ss Tee on the bottom of your PC serve, (before the parrot)?

Cheers Phil
Undertaker

equipment: Electric boiler, 2" potstill column. 40" VM column, copper packed,
RC double wound coldfinger,
PC liebig condensor

Postby scythe » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:31 pm

Works as a breather, helps prevent surging in the parrot.
scythe

equipment: Dreaming of a 4" bubbler

Postby WTDist » Sun Oct 11, 2015 7:40 pm

Mad wrote:Told my wife how much water i used :violence-stickwhack:

http://www.urbanutilities.com.au/residential/accounts-and-billing/how-your-bill-is-calculated

$0.79 per 1000L of average families in brissy on tier 2
$1.41 for 1000L for the 76000L per year families on tier 3

If i use 1000L i think wow i just spent at most $1.41 :))

tell her water for distilling is cheap compared to the amount for a bottle of store bought :handgestures-thumbupleft:
WTDist

equipment: Building a 4" bubbler with 8" glass thumper

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills