Alcoengine reflux still addition

Reflux still design and discussion

Alcoengine reflux still addition

Postby Puk » Mon Feb 26, 2024 3:18 pm

Hi all,
My first "real" still is my alcoengine pot still. I am currently 3 generations deep into a MacRum. :)

I am wanting to add a cheap and cheerful reflux still, and i have been told the alcoengine reflux stills will do the job, even if they are a little slow, but that they don't have a long enough column to make a very high percentage neutral without adding something under them. (I used a mate's t500 and am not a fan of having to fiddle with the water input so much)

Conventional wisdom recommends a 250-300mm column, packed with copper mesh for more reflux, but i was wondering about whether i could just add on a single 2" bubble plate under the reflux still? Would this help me with purity of the product?

Thanks,
Puk
Puk

equipment: 50l keg boiler (2x 2400w 5 star elements , 4" fill port, 3/4" removeable drain and ball valve)
Alcoengine pot still

Re: Alcoengine reflux still addition

Postby The Stig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 5:58 pm

I just lowered the price of these: https://5stardistilling.com/product/boka-still-2/
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Re: Alcoengine reflux still addition

Postby BigRig » Mon Feb 26, 2024 6:35 pm

You would need at least 4 bubble plates plus the packed section to get a good neutral. For a fraction of the price and simplicity the boka Stig posted would be the best option.

I had the alcoengine and it was day and night between results when i went ṭo the boka.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Return to Reflux Stills