First run on Super Express 3kw Still

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: First run on Super Express 3kw Still

Postby punchy21 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 7:19 pm

Another good tip with these stills is to turf the plastic offtake tube... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I started with one of these units and it was the first change i made when i found this forum
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Fuzzybear » Sat Feb 08, 2014 8:06 am

Gday To one and all!
I would like to thank everyone for there help and advise.
Now that I have been educated to the fact that fast talking salesman :teasing-blah: and glossy brochures are not always what they seem :violence-smack: (I am not really surprised)
I now have this site and info to help me on my way to a better brew. ^:)^
:text-thankyoublue:
Fuzzybear

equipment: Essencia Super Express 3000W Still

Postby Fuzzybear » Tue Feb 11, 2014 4:41 am

punchy21 wrote:Another good tip with these stills is to turf the plastic offtake tube... :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I started with one of these units and it was the first change i made when i found this forum

Thought i saw a thread hear on how to make that mod but can't seem to find it!
How did you do yours?
Fuzzybear

Postby punchy21 » Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:48 am

i got some copper or SS(cant remember) pipe that fit over the offtake tube, i wound some PTFE tape over the offtake tube for a snug fit, it looked at bit agricultural but did the job :handgestures-thumbupleft:
punchy21

equipment: Modular 4" 4 plate Bubbler
6kW 50L Boiler

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:17 am

Good Day to All. :greetings-waveyellow:
After the problems I experienced on my first runs I thought I would do a bit more homework and research on here before my next effort
Yesterday I completed a stripping run on some washes I put down last week and some interesting results which left me with more questions.
First wash was 6kg Turbo Sugar with a pack of Heat Wave yeast yield 2.75 lt @ 90%.
Second wash was 6kg Turbo Sugar with a half a pack of Heat Wave yeast yield 3lt @ 90%
Third wash was 6kg of Raw Sugar with half a pack of Heat Wave yeast yield 3.3 lt @ 93%.
The Strip was done on my Express Still & using both elements at about an hour forty to an hour fifty each run. (and yes I run an extension cord to the power point next door for the second element).
I also ran the water supply into a coil of hose in an esky full of ice which lowered the cooling water supply to a point where the temperatures of both the condenser column and water discharge ran within the recommended specs where last time the water discharge was flat out just to keep the column at the max.
I then poured all of that back in to the still and filled it up with water and ran it off a second time on a single element at a marathon time of 7hrs thirty to end with 7.5lt @ 95%.

Now I am curious as to the yield results in particular the half yeast and raw sugar had the most impressive results.
Also I was thinking of modifying the coolant flow on the condenser so both chambers received cool water on their inlet side rather than the in & out of one chamber then in & out of the next chamber, but then I got to thinking that may be the condenser column does not need such cool water to operate efficiently.

I have put down a couple more raw sugar half yeast washes but I am truly looking forward to see the results of the two TPW I put down.
:text-thankyoublue:
Fuzzybear

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:18 am

Sorry forgot to attach photo
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Fuzzybear

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:34 pm

volume is one consideration I gave to much thought to early on ,I have since focused on taste,one tip I got was to taste the diference in the wash before stillin usually better tastein wash means better spirit.ya get out what ya put in.cheers hillzabilly ps I to had one of those stills
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Feb 16, 2014 1:55 pm

hillzabilly wrote:volume is one consideration I gave to much thought to early on ,I have since focused on taste,one tip I got was to taste the diference in the wash before stillin usually better tastein wash means better spirit.ya get out what ya put in.cheers hillzabilly ps I to had one of those stills

I can appreciate that!
Both of the half pack yeast washes smelled and tasted better.
Im not overly concerned about volume myself either, my surprise came from the fact the HBS stuff did not appear to perform up to the hype.
Fuzzybear

Postby zombie » Sun Feb 16, 2014 3:33 pm

Hi,
The cooling water diagram you posted is the correct format or flow pattern. Can't say much more about that.
BUT the way it is configured is not really ideal. I assume you have a goal temp for the reflux portion of your still (thus the thermometer). The issue is you have no real adjust-ability of the water flow thru the reflux condenser. Any changes to that require changing the rate thru your product condenser. If your PC is running warm you may never be able to get the correct reflux ratio because you have a limited amount of flow, and no cool water.

My point is separating your PC from your RC is a very good idea. I would add a ball valve to each line to allow you to adjust cool water flow rates to each unit individually. you will have much more control over the running of your still, and most likely save a fair amount of water in the end.
zombie

Postby Fuzzybear » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:30 am

The way it is rigged at the momment I have a single tap on the cooling supply and the thermometer is measuring the resultant temp of both condensors.
I was thinking I will run a wash on a single element as it is which is easily controlled and the temps and flows all seem to run within spec.
Then check what the temp that is comming out of PC then seperate the supply line and put seperate supply and controls to both then run it again that way.
That way I will know what the temp of both discharge line should be.
Fuzzybear

Postby Fuzzybear » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:33 pm

Gday To All.
I am currently having a bit of an issue that I cant’s seem to resolve and thought someone here might be able to shed some light on .
I repacked my column with new copper wool and added some extra copper saddles for good measure.
I then ¾ filled the still with a TPW (which is all I do now) and turned on both elements.
Everything appeared to be ticking over as normal then I noticed that product started coming out but the temp was still not at (or near) the 76 -80 column temp.
The temp rose very quickly shortly after that and with a little bit of fiddling on the coolant flow I thought everything had settled down and the temp was stable and the alcohol discharge was a light steady trickle.
Then the alcohol discharge increased steadily till a constant solid flow at which time the column started making a clicking sound and the temperature would climb into the mid 80’s.
I readjusted the coolant flow of the column and the temp fell off as did the alcohol discharge (I removed this collection and found later the % was down to 70 ).
Thinking I had somehow buggered up repacking the column I removed everything and repacked it again minus the copper saddles and found the still behaved the same with a succession of rise and falls in temp and wildly fluctuating output.
So my next line of thought was along the line that may be a heating element was playing up and cutting in and out, so I ran the still on one element for a period of time and then on the other. This proved to work flawlessly with a both a steady temp and output, even the % came in at 98% on both either element.
I found from previous experience that when running the Essencia Express still in the express mode on both elements I could not fill it all the way as the column temperature would be too high and no amount of cooling water will bring it back down (even tried running chilled water through it ).
So i am stuck so any thoughts would would be helpful
Fuzzybear

Postby Yummyrum » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:11 pm

Fuzzy...I am quite sure that the sole purpose of the second element is to help with a quick boilup ....It would be rediculous to run that still with both element running.The symptoms you describe are exactly why not to.

There is only so much power youcan feed into a packed column before it gets overwhelmed with rising vapour and falling liquid and a condition called Flooding occurs .

1500-2000 watts is generally concidered the most power a 2" column can handle.

Bottom line heat up on two elements then switch one off to run
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:30 am

Hi Yummy rum.
Although i would not say the instructions are overly detailed it actually gives two operating proccedures, one for the single element and one for dual elements and it does not say anything about turning the second element off when running it in 3000w mode.
I understand what you are saying and from what i have read on here I undestand it is better to go slow at a lower temp.
I have been putting down 100l of wash at a time and double distilling the runs. the first were quick stripping runs then the last on slow runs taking cuts and using the second element only to heat it up.
I have had It working on two elements (although at the upper end) and did not think i had repacked the column any differently to previous times so I am just at a bit of a loss as to what might be different.
Regards Fuzzy
Fuzzybear

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:34 am

I started with the single element 2000w version of this still.

Once off turbo yeasts, it produced a good quality neutral. They have a few quirks like...
temp drop as alco starts, need for consistent water flows to avoid peaks/drops = get a small pump pond and recirculate is best.
Over filling to top band helps
Finding the start point = gurgling sounds = 77/78c but reducing water flows to keep that temp = minimal water you can use prior to temp increase = changes output rate
A temp jump/alco % drop very noticeable on start of tails = great indicator this for end of run
Pickling the brass lid connector joiner ring is needed
A small volume quick parrot = 70 - 75ml
Copper off take tube as mentioned earlier
A periodic vinegar run and SS scrubby clean of the element
Possible puking on high protein washes, wheat, rye and rums
Makes the cleanest weebix based double distilled washes for gins known to man..or at least this bloke :D
Benefits from copper scrubby in top section instead of just SS

Very minor issues really but a good still to get underway on and easy to manage.

enjoy!
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby MacStill » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:24 pm

3kw ? :wtf:

I havnt read the whole thread, but isnt that too much for a regular house outlet ?

I always thought 2.4kw was the max for a standard outlet :think:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:02 pm

Cheers bt1 & Macstill!
bt1 your description pretty well sums up my own thoughts on the still and i will look into the additions you mentioned.

Hey Mac you very wisely pointed the issue out to me earlier when i first joined and vented my problems and have run the second element on another outlet.

I repacked the column this morning but the issue still persist :puke-huge: , but that ok ill just run it on the one,

Once again :text-thankyoublue: for the help and love the TPW ^:)^
Fuzzy
Fuzzybear

Postby Yummyrum » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:35 pm

Fuzzybear..I recon 3kw would be geat for stripping your wash seeing as you are double distilling :handgestures-thumbupleft:
How does that condenser cope , I would imagine that the spirit would be very hot boardering on almost steaming
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 4:51 pm

Yummyrum the feints were a little warm, but by the time you got to the hearts it was luke warm at best.
It had been working a treat but the recent issue has put a stop to it for the time being till I get it sorted.
After reading bt1 reply I have never given it a thorough spring clean :violence-smack: so i might give the element a bit of a clean and a bit of citric in the condenser and run a vinegar run through it and see if that helps. :pray:

I dont know how this stacks up against what others get, but I put in around 15lt of TPW and end up with around 500ml of feints 2lt of heads @ 93-95% and 500ml of tails.
The heads and tails I throw in the next wash and go again.

Regards Fuzzy
Fuzzybear

Postby 1 2many » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:47 pm

Hi Fuzzy I think you are getting the terms mixed up a bit have a read of the Glossary of terms

This is the run order

FORESHOTS: A small amount of low boiling distillate, which is the first to be collected during a run. Foreshots contain high levels of acetone, methanol, and aldehyde volatiles. Catch and discard.

HEADS: Spirits from the beginning of the run that contain a high percentage of low boiling alcohols such as methanol, acetone and aldehydes.

HEARTS: The section of a distillation run which is taken as the product, contains mostly ethanol, with a small amount of congeners.

TAILS: Distillate from late in the distilling process containing a high percentage of fusel oil and little alcohol.

FEINTS: A collection of the disused portion of cuts. Usually heads and tails that can be recycled back into subsequent runs.

Hope this helps :handgestures-thumbupleft:
1 2many
Lifetime Member

equipment: Portable A.G brewery ,#001 5 STAR blockhead 4" Modular 4 plate SSG with,6"inline thumper, 2.5" 9 tube shotgun, packed section, Boiler 50 ltr inverted keg 4"still mount, 2.4 Kw FSD elements 1"drain.

Postby Fuzzybear » Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:11 pm

O My :oops: :violence-smack: I certainly did !!!
Fuzzybear

PreviousNext

Return to Reflux Stills