She's finally ready

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: She's finally ready

Postby MacStill » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:46 am

Look guys it's really hard to say what the cause of it could be, it could even be your body's sensitivity to pure ethanol.

But as I've always said, and this is not directed at any one person but is a good reminder for all even if in this case I'm wrong.

Using scrap metal yards to buy cheap pipe is stupid, you do not know the origins of the pipe and neither does the scrappy.

It could contain anything from medical gas residue to sewerage and other things too, copper will suck these compounds in and it's very hard to get it back out no matter how much you clean it.

I'm not saying this to start a debate, or some kind of scare campaign, I'm just repeating what I've always thought and said on the matter.

FFS you're building something you're going to be using for many years saving money on booze, and this myth that copper pipe is expensive is bullshit when you can pick up a meter of 4" for under $100 :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah: :teasing-blah:

Now this may not be the problem at all, however if new pipe was used these issues are automatically eliminated.

Buy new, be safe & set your mind at ease.... it's going to last you forever & you dont want the worry of "what if" do you ?
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby Yummyrum » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:17 pm

I made my column out of S/H copper . Ran a flap drill through it on a drill extension I have .Bought it back to shiny.

Here's a pic from when I gave it a clean recently ...same way
cleaning still.jpg

This was after I screwed it in a vice with the end capped off and soaked thye inside with citric acid for over a week ...it takes a while to remove the oxidation
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby twojaythomo » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:08 pm

Yeah might have to do something like that, think I might just buy some new 1" and half inch to remake the PC
twojaythomo

equipment: 4" Bubbler, keg boiler with 2 elements and voltage regulator.

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills