Cleaning rigs

Reflux still design and discussion

Cleaning rigs

Postby rossgillespie » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:26 pm

Question all,
I have noticed alot of rust on my ss packing inside my pire distilling rig
Now ive always followed the instructions of cleaning straight after a run as spent mash is corrosive but still have alot of rust on the packing.
I have looked at other comments on how people clean their rigs and alot of people say they remove packing and rinse after every run.
Now pure distilling say not to do this as the packing has been put in at a specific tension to maximise reflux purity but they also sell replacement packing kits.
I was thinking of replacing the packing with good quality ss scrubbas for half the price of the replacement packing and removing them after every run to clean.
Is this too much of an effort or common practice
:pray:
rossgillespie

equipment: Pure distilling ultra pure with 30ltr boiler

Re: Cleaning rigs

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:30 pm

Yeah mate, chuck em and get new scrubbers
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby Plumby » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:22 pm

Now I know this sounds bad but I gotta admit, in the 3 1/2 years that I had my super reflux I never cleaned my ceramic saddles or rasching rings, not even once. I always washed it out with water straight after a run but I never removed it all and did a vinegar boil or anything. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:
Plumby

equipment: 50 litre keg boiler with a 2200watt element and a 2 inch pot still called Shaniqua with a 32mm over 19mm 800mm long liebig condenser attached.

Postby Doubleuj » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:33 pm

Plumby wrote:Now I know this sounds bad but I gotta admit, in the 3 1/2 years that I had my super reflux I never cleaned my ceramic saddles or rasching rings, not even once. I always washed it out with water straight after a run but I never removed it all and did a vinegar boil or anything. :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

Yeah but his are tin roof, Rusty :laughing-rolling:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Dec 30, 2016 7:20 pm

Personally I only use copper mesh packing in all my stills,gives a superior taste and quality,sure it requires a little extra cleaning,but its worth it in my opinion,and I clean it with a citric acid solution after every spirit run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Sam. » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:41 am

If your scrubbers are rusting then they are a poor quality stainless, buy some good ones and soak in water to see if they rust before using them :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby EziTasting » Sat Dec 31, 2016 9:33 am

:text-+1: I'm with Sam.

We bought SS scrubbers ex china and they went black after first use, made our drink taste foul!!!

Get new ones and go for the best! You're gonna be drinking this stuff so make sure you do it right!
Otherwise, method is cheap in Coles... :violence-smack:

and I mean that with all the love in my heart... :D
EziTasting

equipment: Newbie - Keg Boiler & 4" 4 plate glasser

Postby warramungas » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:41 am

hillzabilly wrote:Personally I only use copper mesh packing in all my stills,gives a superior taste and quality,sure it requires a little extra cleaning,but its worth it in my opinion,and I clean it with a citric acid solution after every spirit run.cheers hillzabilly :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Same but just pull em out and wash em in hot water in the sink then allow to dry fully before I pack them away again inside the column. Dont need to be shiny to work. Last longer too I'd imagine. Well I've never (10+ years) had to replace them.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Return to Reflux Stills