Boiler for a boka

Reflux still design and discussion

Boiler for a boka

Postby Pist n broke » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:19 pm

I have saved my ass off and spoke to FSD today and got some more info which helps me decide on what to buy. I want to do neutral spirits and mix with essence for a while... Son wants to do some beer... So they recommended me to go for 2" boka.... Said I need to get T500 boiler and bingo.... Anyone know where I can get a good second hand one as most hbs want to sell you the full kit for $545.

FSD also said could go with 4" modular with parrot and you need to mix a mash.. Does not do neutral... I know down the track I will probably kick myself not getting it... But I'm a newbie.....

Any help on the above....?
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Re: Boiler for a boka

Postby woodduck » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:31 pm

What do you normally drink? Will you be happy with cordials in the long run? If you drink whiskey I would go a pot still but if you want neutral a boka will be fine. Just remember you can't really do neutrals with a pot. If you go a 4" modular pot from 5star you can add to it as funds become avalable and end up with a bubbler which will do anything you want :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Don't be scared of doing washes like the CFW or NGW as they are piss easy and cheap as chips. They both make very nice whiskeys.
woodduck
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4 plate 6" copper bubbler, 6 plate 4" glass bubbler with 500mm packed section three way thumper sitting on a 50 ltr keg boiler with 6000watts, 2" pot still and a 2" boka.

Postby ThePaterPiper » Wed Nov 08, 2017 7:43 pm

:text-+1: on the NGW and although I haven’t done the cfw, the process is the same, so I am sure it would be a winner too.

If your happy to use gas, you will buy a keg and three ring burner cheaper than anything from a hbs I would think too, and that gives you a range of options, converting to electric, larger triclamp fittings and so on. Have a good look around at builds here. They aren’t particularly difficult, even if like me, you have no soldering experience. I am really happy with my rig, but it is slow. I am definitely wishing I took my time with the build and decided to jump in with a bubbler. They are just so versatile and much faster than my 2inch pot.
ThePaterPiper

equipment: 50L Pot Still with two inch column into a 700mm Liebig. Also have a 19l thumper interchangeable into the setup.

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:06 pm

Good advice and questions above but if you do decide that the boka is the way to go, the T500 boiler and lid without the still is on sale for $179 at the moment at Australian Home Brewing. It's normally $230.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby Pist n broke » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:07 pm

Sorry... I have no idea what a bubbler is....off to google I go
Pist n broke

equipment: T500.... Trying to learn...

Postby Professor Green » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:12 pm

The "Search our site" link under the page banner at the top of the forum will probably yield better results.

It's probably also defined in the glossary in the newbies section.

Cheers,
Prof. Green.
Professor Green

equipment: FSD 100 litre milk can with 2 x 2400W elements
FSD Neutraliser
FSD Carter Head
12 litre double boiler with 2400W element

Postby The Stig » Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:49 am

Go to the platted column section viewforum.php?f=36
The Stig
Site Nerd