2" Boka temperature on first spirit run

Reflux still design and discussion

2" Boka temperature on first spirit run

Postby Slowey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:39 am

Hi all,

fairly new to the hobbystarting with a T500 but I just run my new 2" boka for the first product run over the weekend, stripped 2 FFV washes on friday night and Saturday arvo with unpacked column, got 10L of 52% low wines, the vapor temps the column was running at I would consider normal compared to all the discussions I have read on here so far, however I packed the column on Sunday with stainless and copper scrubbers and ran the low wines watered down to below 40%, and the column stabilised at 71 degrees, I thought that was low but started pulling fores off, the entire run was as expected, heads was distinct in the first 2 jars after fores, then a heap of hearts at 95%+, as soon as my temp hit 72 degrees tails were in.
Im fine to accept that temps are a gauge and my still will run this way but just curious to see if others have the same difference between stripping and spirit runs, everything I've read says I should be seeing 78 degrees will pulling hearts off.
have I done something wrong when I've packed the column? any help appriciated.

Cheers Shaun
Slowey

equipment: 2" Boka Still, 30L Electric boiler, PID controlled(still nutting it out)

Re: 2" Boka temperature on first spirit run

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 8:49 am

Put your thermometer in boiling water and see if it reads 100 :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Your temp gauge is definitely in clear vapour with no liquid?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Slowey » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:10 am

Yeah cheers will try checking it in boiling water but it was behaving in the stripping run so Im thinking it will be OK.
That's possibly my issue, maybe my packing is too high in the column against the temp probe, which would possibly allow liquid to pool/hang against it giving me a false reading??
Slowey

equipment: 2" Boka Still, 30L Electric boiler, PID controlled(still nutting it out)

Postby Sam. » Mon Feb 05, 2018 12:39 pm

Yeah keep your packing away from it a bit next time and see what it does :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Enigma » Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Hi Slowey, lm also a beginner as well, only done 2 runs on my Still. Seems like most of these guys know what they are talking about, agree with Sam about temp probe placement, if it’s a slant plate Boka it should be under the top plate and just clear of the edge so condensate does not contact it. Also, you might need a better temp probe, as l said lm only a beginner but l did notice that as soon as my temp went from 78 to78.1 could smell a big difference and then the temp just went higher real fast, shut it down at 79 because smell was way to bad.l guess it takes time /few runs to see what is normal for your still. Keep up the good work.

P.s. l think it pays to keep a good records of each run to compere results.

Cheers.
Enigma

equipment: Homemade 2” boka 1200mm column
35 l boiler with 3600watt
Plus power regulator

Return to Reflux Stills