new/old boka

Reflux still design and discussion

new/old boka

Postby Astro » Tue Mar 27, 2018 2:28 pm

Got my boka out for a clean and inspection as ive never used it, only got it because i wanted the keg boiler it came with a few years ago.
106_3161.JPG

Looks to be very well made but noticed it has a ball valve so i will have to look around for a good needle valve also a good thermo as ive only ever used a pot
106_3162.JPG

106_3163.JPG

Once i get that sorted ill run a vinegar and then a sacrificial and see what this neutral nonsense is all about :teasing-tease:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Astro

equipment: 2" pot and 2" bok on 50ltr elec keg boiler

Re: new/old boka

Postby PeterC » Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:20 pm

Hi,
Looks long enough, 700-800 mm packed section? What is the packing? and what is its condition? When you have changed out the ball valve you might want to consider some cooling on the product take off. Mine came out too hot and I put a small liebig condenser on it with cooling water going through that first then going on to the RC. A long air cooled copper pipe might do it but best be safe.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Return to Reflux Stills