Is this reflux still better than the t500??

Reflux still design and discussion

Is this reflux still better than the t500??

Postby Coolabah » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:59 am

The photo is of the pure distilling still is it better and do I require to mess with the water flow
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Coolabah

equipment: Nothing useful

Re: Is this reflux still better than the t500??

Postby PeterC » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:58 am

This still is liquid managed so no fiddling with water flow. You fiddle with liquid take off instead. I had something like this in the past and you will find the liquid comes off too hot so you need to cool it. I used a small Liebig condenser and routed the cooling water through that first. The packed section is very short and you will need to restrict take off to get anything decent. This like the T500 is to make neutrals only, and mine with cuts was still too smeared to get something good enough for my taste. You could remove the packing for stripping. For less money you could buy a keg boiler and two inch pot still parts, This is what I did next and double distilled on FFV recipe. This made a better product for me. Learning to run the still and cuts were the critical parts to be successful.
Cheers
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby dans.brew » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:44 pm

:text-+1:
I also have one... its what i started with. Some of the stuff in the kit i have never used and prob never will. For the same sort of money you could make a pretty good pot still that could one day be upgraded to a bubbler, if you have a few skills and hunt around the scrappies for a few parts.
It depends a bit if your just keen on making neutral or want to branch out to other thing ie whiskies, rums ect
dans.brew

equipment: Pure Distilling Reflux Still
2" Pot Still with lieberg
4" x 4 plates Bubbler with 2"bubble caps on 50ltr keg boiler

Postby warramungas » Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:13 am

Better than a t500 still? Hard to get much worse.
Scratch that. There are worse then t500 heads out there.
I went with a brewcraft(???) brand boiler as it was same price as a t500 but held 5 liters more.
I
found that size boiler is good for starting out but once you cut your teeth you'll eventually want a bigger one. Be fine for that still though.
warramungas

equipment: 180 litre fermenter x 2
30 liter boiler
PDA-1
2" four plate modular bubbler
2" one meter long LM column
110 liter boiler with 25 liter (max) inline thumper
4" x 4 plate bubble cap still

Postby Dig Brinker » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:06 am

The quality & size are similar, ie both average. If you’re wanting to make bourbon and other stuff you’re better off looking at a bubbler, with packed section added for neutral.
Dig Brinker

equipment: 4 inch 4 plate bubbler on keg boiler

Postby Boomgate » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:11 pm

I have had mine for years, great learners reflux still... Easier to operate than a t500 from what i understand... well... Just look down the posts on this page, so many questions about the t500, and none that I can see about this still..
Last edited by Boomgate on Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Boomgate

equipment: 25L Ultra Pure Reflux.

Postby Rolls912 » Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:15 pm

One of the biggest issues I had with urn boilers is that it burns the sediment. Make sure the wash is super clean before you add it to the boiler.
Rolls912

equipment: 5SD 4inch Boka
5SD pot still
5SD milk can
Carter head
Charcoal filter
Temp controller

Return to Reflux Stills