Packing the T500 reflux column

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Packing the T500 reflux column

Postby The Stig » Mon Jan 16, 2023 2:18 pm

You really need to pick a reflux media and stick with it all the way.
If you mix and match different media it will reflux at different rates and cause all manner of issues .
And you can’t have too much copper
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby clearspirit » Tue Jan 17, 2023 7:44 pm

The Stig wrote:You really need to pick a reflux media and stick with it all the way.
If you mix and match different media it will reflux at different rates and cause all manner of issues .
And you can’t have too much copper

Now THAT'S a reply I can work with - Thanks! :handgestures-thumbupleft:

So to the removing the matting above the internal fittings issue. Would attaching the ends of the four lengths of copper mesh to a small diameter copper tube that goes from just under the reflux coil up top, and protruding just beyond the bottom, so you can wind the matting tight for insertion, wind it out for use, and wind it tight again for removal, work? Or would a tube through the middle bugger up the refluxing? Maybe a copper rod instead of tube? Figured the tube would resist twisting better...

Any thoughts or suggestions?
clearspirit

equipment: Turbo 500

Postby The Stig » Tue Jan 17, 2023 8:11 pm

You’re over thinking it .
The packing doesn’t need to go up past the could and putting a tube in there will again cause issues
Just roll the copper mesh into around 100g rolls and insert, simple
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby clearspirit » Wed Jan 18, 2023 3:48 pm

The Stig wrote:You’re over thinking it .
The packing doesn’t need to go up past the could and putting a tube in there will again cause issues
Just roll the copper mesh into around 100g rolls and insert, simple

Thanks for trying to KISS :) However, have you seen inside a T500 column? There's a spigot about 1/3 up from the bottom which takes up about 1/3 of the diameter, see here -

Column spigot.jpg

If you roll the copper mesh tight enough to push past that spigot, the mesh will only be filling 2/3 the diameter of the column, and I'm guessing that would not be ok?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
clearspirit

Postby The Stig » Wed Jan 18, 2023 4:17 pm

Ok yea it’s been a long long time since I look into a T500
The Stig
Site Nerd

Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby clearspirit » Fri Feb 03, 2023 12:09 pm

The Stig wrote:You really need to pick a reflux media and stick with it all the way.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I take that to mean the standard T500 copper saddle packing up top and the SS below is sub-optimal. Given the comments since this post it is apparent that my preferred option of using copper exclusively is not a practicable option.

Would then replacing the SS saddles below the fitting, resulting in copper mesh/ SS/ copper saddles, going up the tube result in even more sub-optimalness? Still only two reflux media.

Maybe I just have to suck it and see... I guess the point is, would adding copper at the bottom of the reflux column still have a cleaning effect, or does the copper have to be only up top if there is already going to be two media?
clearspirit

Postby BigRig » Fri Feb 03, 2023 5:20 pm

clearspirit wrote:

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but I take that to mean the standard T500 copper saddle packing up top and the SS below is sub-optimal. Given the comments since this post it is apparent that my preferred option of using copper exclusively is not a practicable option.

Would then replacing the SS saddles below the fitting, resulting in copper mesh/ SS/ copper saddles, going up the tube result in even more sub-optimalness? Still only two reflux media.

Maybe I just have to suck it and see... I guess the point is, would adding copper at the bottom of the reflux column still have a cleaning effect, or does the copper have to be only up top if there is already going to be two media?

The simple answer is the media is providing you with surface area for the vapours to reflux on so there is no need to over think it (People even use lava rock or marbles). Copper is good for removing sulphites but is more expensive so some manufacturers will use a small amount then fill with SS or ceramic saddles to keep pricing down. Luckily you dont need much copper.

The different medias will behave differently so you can experiment to find 1 that works for you and fill the whole column with it, no need to mix and match. If you have the different medias then use them as you want and which ever order you want, it wont matter.
BigRig

equipment: FSD 4" Mac SSG, 50L Milk Can, 2 x 2400w elements, 35L Digiboil Boiler, Airstill.

Postby clearspirit » Tue Mar 28, 2023 9:48 pm

Thanks so much.

It's not so much a matter of "what I want" but "what is practicable /what works without too much effort or cost given the column is now divided into bottom 1/3 + top 2/3"?

What I want is copper all the way, but copper saddles cost a fortune so copper mesh is the go. But, with the fitting virtually blocking the tube 1/3 of the way up from the bottom, the T500 only practically "allows" copper mesh in the bottom third, and copper saddles up the top near the copper coil, and/or "something in between" so for "something in between", SS makes sense because copper saddles will cost a fortune.

So my question is - would, from the bottom of the reflux column, copper mesh (bottom third), SS saddles (middle half) and copper saddles (top 1/6), cause the refluxing to be confused?

Or is this just a "no-one has a clue, I'm treading new ground and I'll just have to suck it and see"...?
clearspirit

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills