New reflux

Reflux still design and discussion

New reflux

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:35 pm

I just bought a still with a pot and a reflux column. The reflux has a cooling coil that goes in the top but isn't sealed. Will this work?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultrasuede

equipment: Boka 1.5 metre, 50lt keg boiler and a pot still.

Re: New reflux

Postby RC Al » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:41 pm

That's the top of a boka or a ccvm, some pics of the take-off section below the coil will answer that, looking fine so far
RC Al
Mentor

equipment: 3 plate 4" glasser
2" Potty

Postby ultrasuede » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:48 pm

A few more
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
ultrasuede

Postby j0sh2008 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 10:33 pm

Wouldn't the vapour the majority of vapour escape via the top?

You would need it sealed, maybe get an end cap and put the coils though it and solder it in.
j0sh2008

equipment: 4" 5star still - 4 plates + 500mm packed section
100L milk can boiler - 2400W & 3600W FSD elements.
2 X 1000L IBC - Recirculating water

Postby ultrasuede » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:50 am

That's what I'm thinking. Just need to clarify
ultrasuede

Postby hillzabilly » Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:11 am

With a boka like that no vapour should make it to the top unless the coil does not have the capacity ta condence the vapour from too much power or overheated cooling water,I wouldnot use more than 2000wt for a 2inch still on a 25-30lt boiler ;-) ,a loose fitting cap with a few small vent holes can be used,some just poke a little copper mesh down the top.cheers hillzabilly
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby RC Al » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:20 am

Mate, I'm not sure how well it's going to work... they have put some reducers in there and a plate below the take off, but I can't see how they have arranged things in there, some sort of cup?

Have a look at some boka builds and try and figure out what the have done

The only way I can see a single plate (sealed) working like that is if it's a sieve or bubble plate (kinda brilliant if it was) but I don't see a down comer?

Could you draw a pic?

Is there another condenser that attaches to the pot head, dosent look like a lot of cooling?
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby The Stig » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:58 am

Was this purchased via Gumtree or eBay ?
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby PeterC » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:41 pm

This looks to be a Boka bob style, have a look at these designs https://homedistiller.org/wiki/index.ph ... n_drawings
Could be a reflux tower type. You should never seal the top because you must not allow any pressure build up. As stated previously there must be sufficient cooling to knock down all vapours. Copper mesh around the cooling coil helps and you should definitely stuff some down that centre opening in the cooling coil. A loose dust cap over the top is OK. A temperature probe in the vapour path would also be helpful so you know when you are in the right range. My first still was a bit like this but shorter and so not very good and too slow for me. It had 1500W element which was about right and I could keep the vapours down using tap water.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby RC Al » Fri Dec 28, 2018 5:46 pm

Missed that it is a tee sitting in there - thought it was the output pipe, It's the two cup design from near the bottom of the hd link
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby ultrasuede » Fri Dec 28, 2018 8:06 pm

Works a treat! Thanks guys.
I just ran straight water through it and the coil had no trouble condensing the steam.

Couple of questions though, does it need to be that long? It's a good 1.5 metres of 2 inch.

And if I take out the packing, can I use it as a pot still?
ultrasuede

Postby PeterC » Sat Dec 29, 2018 1:14 am

Nice, you can take a shower while watching the still. If it can knock down water vapour at full power then water/alcohol vapour will be even easier. You need the length with packing to get good separation of fractions between heads, hearts and tails to make good neutrals. You can take the packing out to run like a pot still but it will always reflux some because you are knocking down all the vapour with the coil and you are taking off whatever the tap can let out and any excess returning to the boiler so not truly a pot still but maybe near enough. With a power controller you could slow things down a bit if you wanted. Give it a try I reckon.
PeterC

equipment: An 18gall. (80L) keg boiler. A 50L Keg boiler. A 4 plate, 4 inch glass column, 500mm packed section Carter head. A 1.8L all copper micro still for small batches of Gin. Plus other bits.

Postby hillzabilly » Sun Dec 30, 2018 5:56 pm

ultrasuede wrote:Works a treat! Thanks guys.
I just ran straight water through it and the coil had no trouble condensing the steam.

Couple of questions though, does it need to be that long? It's a good 1.5 metres of 2 inch.

And if I take out the packing, can I use it as a pot still?

The taller the more purity,how pure does your spirit need ta be,and you will answer your height question ,its a neutral still and to run as a pot still is not worth it to me ,I tried and failed ta get the good flavour from a boka styled still ,its false economy ta put a great rum or whiskey wash into a still that cannot deliver the flavour you want , maybe some will say take out packing etc and the results were ok ,but just ok is not what most of us are trying to achieve.And its more likely to make you get frustrated with ruff results ,so ifn ya do use it that way to get by until better equipment falls from the truck,be subjective about the results.And a SS take off valve would be better than the brass one. cheers hillzabilly ;-)
Last edited by hillzabilly on Sun Dec 30, 2018 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hillzabilly

equipment: 10 gallon OZARK pot still ,2inch and 3inch Nixon Stone coloum stills ,10 and 18 gal beer keg boilers,5gal thumper keg.And the one and only 4" Five Star Southern Cross .

Postby Walker » Sat Mar 07, 2020 2:44 am

Hello I’m new here and was looking at a still just like it. From my readings to use in pot still mode just cap the top or cap where the tee section goes to the product condenser. There should be no need for the reflux condenser or packing if you want the taste of the wash to come through. I have no experience distilling just learned this from research. Is this correct information?
Walker

equipment: Nothing yet!

Postby RC Al » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:32 am

No, You need the condenser to change the vapour to liquid, there is no "additional" product condenser on that unit (as a Vapour Management still would have)

Using a packing free boka, you can strip, but unless your outlet valve can keep up with the flow rate, you will end up with some of the product back in the boiler - ie Reflux - this can be managed by turning the power to the the boiler down, thereby taking longer to strip

If you had a modular unit like the 5 star one, you could remove the guts of the LM from the column and add a couple of bends and utilise that condenser for the product
RC Al
Mentor

2" Potty

Postby Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:14 am

Thanks RC AL what type still has a reflux condenser on top and a product condenser. So two condensers. Does it have a specific name?
Walker

Postby Tesla101 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:00 am

Walker wrote:Thanks RC AL what type still has a reflux condenser on top and a product condenser. So two condensers. Does it have a specific name?

Hi Walker, we do encourage new members to take the time to do some research before asking basic questions.

Newbies Corner has the answers you're looking for :)
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Postby Walker » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:30 am

Thanks Tesla101 I have read a lot here. Let’s see if you know the answer; what is it called? I know the answer let’s see if you do? Your responses to my questions have been all but negative. Ohms law what a joke!
Walker

Postby Tesla101 » Sun Mar 08, 2020 5:25 pm

Walker wrote:Thanks Tesla101 I have read a lot here. Let’s see if you know the answer; what is it called? I know the answer let’s see if you do? Your responses to my questions have been all but negative. Ohms law what a joke!

Yeah sorry for the dick comment Walker, I'll try and be a bit more sensitive next time.

How about we try again? I think you're referring to a reflux column still with a product condenser - that would have two condensers. If I'm not mistaken that would be CM type of still.

I didn't mean for Ohm's law to be a joke. I'll answer this in the other thread so this one doesn't get off topic.
Tesla101

equipment: ......

Return to Reflux Stills