Double Distilling

Reflux still design and discussion

Double Distilling

Postby Banga81 » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 pm

Hi guys,
Doing my second distilling run.
Im running a T500 and when i done my first run i discarded the first 200ml of foreshots on each wash.
Now im doing my second distillation and while i know that i do not need to discard foreshots, ill be discarding the first 150ml anyway to air on the side of caution.
My question is that my still is runing at 40 degrees and still has quite a nice drip drip drip coming out. I was assuming that being the second distillation, that i would only get significant volume when the temps got closer to say 50 degrees as there would be a lot less of the lighter alcohols? anyone know why this is? is it because the alcohol content on the boiler is much higher (30%ABV)?
The "foreshots"(or lack of) on this this second distillation smell nothing like the first distillation so i am almost certain there is none (or extremely little) foreshots to speak of.
Banga81

equipment: T500 Copper

Re: Double Distilling

Postby Doubleuj » Sat Feb 02, 2019 9:47 am

Don’t get bogged down on the temps of your outlet water, it’s really inconsequential.
As the charts in Kiwistillers guide to cuts shows there may still be very small amounts of fores from the previous runs so I would still discard some like you are doing :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Doubleuj
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" stainless glasser

Re: Double Distilling

Postby Woods314 » Sat Feb 02, 2019 10:04 am

I’ve always found that running higher ABV in the t500 that I have to increase water flow and consequently lower the water output temperature otherwise the still will run too quickly.
Woods314

equipment: T500 and pot still attachment.

Return to Reflux Stills