SPP

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: SPP

Postby Kal » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:46 am

Now I see the pic it makes sense to me. I was picturing a 2" plate at the bottom of the column :laughing-rolling:
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby Kal » Sat May 12, 2012 3:31 pm

I have my SPP now.

In terms of holding them in my column, I put a SS wool in first, pushed it up to the top of my column, then added about 1L (1.4KG) of SPP in the column, then put another SS wool in. To hold it in place so it doesn't all fall out I took a SS spring that was part of the keg bits I removed and I squeezed that in place. It is a firm fit and it will hold it all in place.

Too busy this weekend to try it out but I will endevour to have a run next weekend, cleaning up some UJ feints I have lying around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kal

equipment: 50L keg boiler
2" bok still
4" plate still

Postby audistiller » Sat May 12, 2012 7:17 pm

When I first saw that photo of the pipe with the spring in it Kal, I immediately thought of a valve spring off and engine. I was going to say if it was off a Ford engine, throw it away and use one from a Holden, they are much stronger and more suited to long life, you will find the Ford ones will collapse. 8-}

Nice rig you have BTW.

Regards
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby victorski » Sun Jun 10, 2012 8:57 pm

I found a supplier for SPP in Poland and have a cousin coming to Australia from Poland in 35 days who will bring it for me :-)
I'll be getting a 2.5" boka soon :pray: and I am looking to fill it with the SPP, but now a bit worried about everyone talking of flooding in the column.
I have a 50L keg with a 2200w element, and no power controller, the SPP measures 4.4 x 5.5 x 0.24 mm.

Can anyone advise me whether it's a good decision to go with the SPP or should I just pack it with scrubbers? :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby Al Qaemist » Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:27 pm

Victorski, after my initial success with putting lots of power in, I have now done a few extra runs and sometimes get flooding issues. Currently I'm just putting 1600w in and getting a very smooth product - but running about the same rate I was with scrubbies.
If I didn't have power control, personally I would stick with scrubbies as they can handle that sort of power, and SPP might or might not.

Right now I'm just getting some neutral production going so not really experimenting - just getting a slightly better product at about the same rate as before, I will go back to seeing how best to run this new packing later in the year.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby eminiM » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:34 pm

Al Qaemist wrote:Victorski, after my initial success with putting lots of power in, I have now done a few extra runs and sometimes get flooding issues. Currently I'm just putting 1600w in and getting a very smooth product - but running about the same rate I was with scrubbies.
If I didn't have power control, personally I would stick with scrubbies as they can handle that sort of power, and SPP might or might not.

I'm a big fan of SPP. I haven't had time to do any serious experimenting and I still haven't etched but the results speak for themselves.

12% wash, 1.3 liters per hour at 1600 watts = ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
eminiM

equipment: VM all the way!

Postby victorski » Sun Jun 10, 2012 10:54 pm

Cheers guys! Nice work emineM :handgestures-thumbupleft: Its only $90 to fill my column with the 3.6 litres that it needs + I can always keep it aside until I put together a power controller :D :D

Cheers,
Victor
victorski

equipment: 2.5" Pot Still with 50L Keg Boiler

Postby pt49 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:30 pm

I ordered copper mesh on eBay this morning... 5" x 2 mtr for $44, then while at the scrap metal yard this afternoon I picked up 5 kg's of copper rope... stuff I never seen before ... thinking I could pull it apart and plait it into braids and fill a column (or 5).

Also found 2 mtrs of copper 2" pipe. There is about 4 mtrs of what looks like 6" copper pipe there too, wondering about getting that to fashion into a pot... any thoughts?
pt49

equipment: Reflux

Postby Linno » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:36 pm

Hey mate

I ordered the same mesh for the same price recently
It's definitely good stuff a bit pricey for what u get. I still
Needed a bunch I staino scrubbers to fill the column and put the
Mesh at the top.
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby pt49 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:45 pm

I thought he was pricey too, but its the only place I could find it... I will put one at top n bottom, and put a lot of this rope fibres in between.

How do you know if there's any lead in copper? Maybe theres none, I dunno...
pt49

Postby pt49 » Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:49 pm

For anyone looking for cheap copper pipe or tube, go to a scrap metal merchant nearest an area where theres a lot of housing developement happening... my guy has 5 skips full of copper, roofing sheets, tubing, pipe all sizes, old hot water services tanks, old washtubs... all pure copper, and a lot of it clean brand new.
pt49

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills