Distillation Conditioner? HBS myth or necessary?

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Distillation Conditioner? HBS myth or necessary?

Postby Al Qaemist » Sat May 19, 2012 4:43 am

I've used defoaming agents and they seem to work (I believe they are used commercially too), the one I've tried contained "silicone and propylene glycol".

As stated above if going a neutral wash, if you let it finish dry and clear it then I wouldn't bother, never had one like that puke even filling the boiler almost to the top. If you can't get it completely dry then I add it as these tend to puke.
When doing a rum I want to reuse the dunder so don't want that stuff in the next generation so I use butter and lots of head space in the still.

The anti-foam do have their place, just depends what your running imho.
Al Qaemist

equipment: 2"x39" VM, Pot head
50L 3Kw keg, and Modified T500 boiler.

Postby Goldie » Fri May 25, 2012 9:43 am

Thanks guys for the info, more dollars you have saved me 8-)
Goldie

equipment: 4" four perf plate column on a 100lt SS boiler, 2" Pot Still on 50lt keg boiler

Postby audistiller » Fri May 25, 2012 1:29 pm

I have emailed the manufacturer for a breakdown of the ingredients in the Still Spirits brand, I am now waiting for a second reply so I will post all the info when I have it.
audistiller

equipment: 2x 30L Fermenters
T500 Reflux Still with a spare Reflux Column

Postby stilly_bugger » Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:03 am

With the Ultra Pure still the standard procedure is (1) ferment, (2) run through reflux head. If you're running washes that aren't entirely clear and you're not using distilling condition, you may get puke.

The problem: you're most likely decanting straight from your fermentation contain into your boiler. You're gonna to get some yeast sediment into your boiler, even if it's only a little bit.

Easy solutions: (1) once your brew has finished fermenting 'rack it off' into another container and let it settle. I let mine settle for 3 weeks once fermentation has finished. Don't rush. (2) add a few stainless steel scrubbers to the wash in the boiler before you start heating. If you do both of these things, you won't need to use distilling conditioner.

Best,

Stilly.
stilly_bugger

equipment: simple pot with worm on an electric boiler.

Postby Brendan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:28 pm

5Star wrote:After that i started the practise of adding wash to my spirit runs that has been taken up by so many around the world.

5Star,

I thought I had read a lot, and I haven't come across this yet...

Can you give an idea to the amount you add in (percentage vs. low wines)?

Brendan

equipment: 4.99L Essential oil extractor

Distillation Conditioner? HBS myth or necessary?

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Jun 02, 2012 2:35 pm

Well I ran my TPW wash of 25L just this morning with no conditioner and it was fine. I did let it settle for a good two and a half weeks before running it so nice and clear and no puke in the column.

So more money wasted on that stuff for me, I reckon if I was using turbo yeast I would, but a nice clean TPW was fine.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby R-sole » Sat Jun 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Brendan wrote:
5Star wrote:After that i started the practise of adding wash to my spirit runs that has been taken up by so many around the world.

5Star,

I thought I had read a lot, and I haven't come across this yet...

Can you give an idea to the amount you add in (percentage vs. low wines)?

10-20% is what i use.

Take a read of this thread for some indepth chat..(and some plain old shit chucking :laughing-rolling: )

http://www.artisan-distiller.net/phpBB3 ... f=10&t=403
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills