Compound Still from the Compleat Distiller

Reflux still design and discussion

Compound Still from the Compleat Distiller

Postby karrotbear » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:26 pm

Hello everyone!

Just signed up today mainly because I need some help regarding my first still. I have two SS Coffee Urns @ 25L each, unsure of heater wattage (have run a few tests with water, however it never truly 'boils'), I have 2.9m of 50mm copper piping thats been cleaned on the outside (unsure of how to get all the crap off for the inside), 6m of 30mm copper tubing (same deal as 50mm tubing), few meters of 12mm and 8mm tubing and 7.5m of 3/16'' copper tubing being shipped to me from the UK.

My plans (at the moment) is to have this still, which is essentially a fractioning still with an extra reflux condenser attached to the top, and build it from scratch. Mainly because I enjoy the challenge. The theory and operation behind it is to have maybe a 100% reflux ratio for a while to achieve equilibrium and then (pre calibrated) draw off 10% or so of the vapour to be run through the product condenser (liebig (sp?)). This apparently means a greater separation, smaller quantity of heads and tails.

Planning on the following specs:
Boiler - 25L SS Coffee urn
Column - 50mm x 1m copper tubing (possibly insulated)
Copper tee junction between column and reflux condenser
Reflux condenser - 3/16'' tubing coiled to fit into 50mm piping fed by water running through the product condenser first.
Product take off shoot - controlled by a gate valve which feeds to the liebig condenser
Product condenser - 30mm x 600mm with the 12mm copper tubing connecting it to the gate valve and running through the 30mm jacket.

My main issue at the moment is finding the right setup in regards to the tee junction.
Current plan is to have:
2 of 2'' x 1'' copper reducers (for reflux condenser joint and column joint)
1 of 1-1/4'' x 1-1/4'' x 1/2'' copper tee junction
1 of 1/2'' compression joint gate valve (not sure if i will have to some how join a longer piece of copper to the tee junction inorder to attach the gate valve)

I can only find these components online and at steep prices. Currently (for two identical stills) this tee junction will cost me $139 without shipping (http://www.plumbingfittingsdirect.com) , and I'm just wondering if you guys know of Australian suppliers or other suppliers that can provide it cheaper?

Any thoughts/ideas?

What is the general consensus on brass fittings for the use on stills? (gate valve)

And straight up say if the design is shit =]

Thanks for reading =]
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Re: Compound Still from the Compleat Distiller

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 4:41 pm

Welcome bloke,

Might be needing better temp control than a urn thermostat me reckons....have a read of threads titled power controller or phase contollers.

It's a complicated beast by the sounds... Are you wanting complexity or not? If not have a read about threads titled Bokas.

well enjoy, don't get tied in knots over it...

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby bt1 » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:11 pm

btw the US 2" ain't the same size as Aust 50mm, but I'm not familar with UK sizing to Aust metric.

Anyone know UK size comparos?
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby karrotbear » Sat Jul 14, 2012 5:23 pm

Well that bit of information makes me hate american measurement even more...

Where then would I be able to get the proper reducers etc? Ive been to my local Bunnings but they have nothing. And Reece is a tad bit expensive for my tastes.
karrotbear

equipment: 2" VM Modular Column (some what awesomely made by me)
2" Pot Still (poorly made by me)

Postby JustStillin » Sat Jul 21, 2012 6:51 pm

karrotbear wrote:Well that bit of information makes me hate american measurement even more...

Where then would I be able to get the proper reducers etc? Ive been to my local Bunnings but they have nothing. And Reece is a tad bit expensive for my tastes.

Scrap metal dealer? last time I was in my local they had a box full of different fittings.

I also found my local small plumbing supplies store was cheaper than Reece and tradelink.

Js
JustStillin

equipment: 4" Perforated plate still
50l keg boiler, 2 x 2400W elements.

Return to Reflux Stills