2 1/2" Boka practice build

Reflux still design and discussion

2 1/2" Boka practice build

Postby JayD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:03 pm

Hi Folks,
This build was inspired by MR-E's 3" build, here are some photos for you all to have a look at and comment, l am doing a cleaning run tonight before l polish it up and put a wash through it.

1boka.jpg
valve and temp gauge
bokacooling.jpg
outlet cooling

bokafulview.jpg
fullfrontall

I hope you all like this effort. :handgestures-thumbupleft: this was a practice build before l build my 4"...big bertha. and by the way the 2 1/2" is called tinkerbell cause theres a little tinkling sound made by a little bit of solder in the cooling system.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Re: 2 1/2" Boka practice build

Postby Kimbo » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:07 pm

Tinkerbell, :clap: :clap: love it,
well done mate ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby MR-E » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:15 pm

Nice one :handgestures-thumbupleft: , I've got the same noise in the shot gun condenser on the Mongrel :laughing-rolling:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby JayD » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:34 pm

here a couple of photos of the condensor coil and temp port, notice the plate on the coldfinger...well thats my fix up for my buggar up as l forgot to add a t above the collector plate :teasing-tease: ....lol..it worked well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
JayD

Postby JayD » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Hi Folks,
Heres Tinkerbell post cleaning run and ready for her big night out pumping out the goodies...looks sweet if l do say so myself. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby bt1 » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:51 pm

Tinkerbell...it's a good name and very nice work wd!

be intrested to hear if water flow through the Leibig has an impact on coil condensing ability in your view. gut feel would be to seperately supply cold water to the coil but at the end of day what impact it would have might be 3/5 of F all.

can you let us know post run be keen on this

cheers
bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:53 pm

Very nice mate, you've done a top job :).
googe

Postby MR-E » Sun Aug 05, 2012 8:17 pm

bt1 wrote:Tinkerbell...it's a good name and very nice work wd!

be intrested to hear if water flow through the Leibig has an impact on coil condensing ability in your view. gut feel would be to seperately supply cold water to the coil but at the end of day what impact it would have might be 3/5 of F all.

can you let us know post run be keen on this

cheers
bt1

I can tell you, it works fine on mine & I'm running mine on a pump recirculating in through the bottom of the liebig,
then through the condenser & finaly through a water cooler & back to the 50ltr bin.
The liebig is only cooling the output which is already a liquid.

Cheers
:handgestures-thumbupleft:
MR-E

equipment: Cooking on gas,50ltr keg, 3"Bok &
4" column with 6 perf plates

Postby JayD » Wed Aug 08, 2012 8:53 am

Hi,
Well just and update on Tinkerbells big night out, she couldnt make her mind up which handsome brute she wanted to take her to the prom, so she went with FilthyPhill and l.

Here she is all dressed up in her sexy black insulated column...

sexyblackinsulation.jpg

just as we got to temperature she sprung a little leak from under the outlet tube, probably caused by the clean up...fixed it with an old Popcorn Sutton trick...flower paste and soldered on...

tbleakfix.jpg

the cuts from night...

tbcuts.jpg

the parrot first taste of action...

tbparrot.jpg

our first run was with a half charge of 20lts,we took 150 mm as heads, then after we refluxed her for 10 minutes Tinkerbell settled into a 92% run, you can see by our cuts the way the % ran. Temperature at the column and keg for the first run we found it pretty easy to maintain correct temps, we ran the distilate down to 20% for tails then shut her down. We are more than happy with our results from her first run and will keep all informed as we progress. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby JayD » Tue Aug 14, 2012 8:46 am

Hi Folks,
l'm a little confused here, as you can see in my previous post we were happy with our results from our first run with Tinkerbell....however she might be one of those girls who are beautiful on the outside but ugly within...were it counts! confused ? lol...the distillate produced by her first run is putrid ?? l'm not sure what l done wrong if anything ? l cleaned her twice with a citric acid and water and run her for around 4 hours , maybe this was not enough and now it is clean after we ran 20 lts of wash through her and got junkerhol ? what do you blokes think ? she was built from second hand tube and because it was second hand tube god knows what she was in her former life ??? Help please 8-} l nearly forgot to mention when is in storage she leaks a dark green copper stain, this is after we flush her of out, is this normal ?
JayD

Postby JayD » Thu Sep 06, 2012 6:27 pm

JayD wrote:Hi Folks,
l'm a little confused here, as you can see in my previous post we were happy with our results from our first run with Tinkerbell....however she might be one of those girls who are beautiful on the outside but ugly within...were it counts! confused ? lol...the distillate produced by her first run is putrid ?? l'm not sure what l done wrong if anything ? l cleaned her twice with a citric acid and water and run her for around 4 hours , maybe this was not enough and now it is clean after we ran 20 lts of wash through her and got junkerhol ? what do you blokes think ? she was built from second hand tube and because it was second hand tube god knows what she was in her former life ??? Help please 8-} l nearly forgot to mention when is in storage she leaks a dark green copper stain, this is after we flush her of out, is this normal ?

you wont recognise Tinkerbell when I take photos later on and post them for you all to see, she morpthed into a pot still, in two sizes and been cut in half for easier storage, I have fitted a twin adaptor on the water tap so distillate and condensor cooling have separate water flow control...this would be a 3 in one still now? I'm doing a cleaning run later, might even take a action shots... :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:45 pm

Here is a short vid of Tinkerbell in action, you will also see the pot still made for her aswell this sits on top the lower column...could even come straight off the keg...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIxGMeYn ... video_user
JayD

Postby MacStill » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:51 pm

My neck hurts now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby JayD » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:53 pm

McStill wrote:My neck hurts now :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:

lol's... I couldnt figgar out how to change its orientation sorry, will fix it asap.
JayD

Postby mullamulla » Fri Sep 07, 2012 1:08 pm

looks good JayD :clap:
mullamulla

equipment: 2" Slant Plate Boka LM
-- Loading 2" Pot Still --
[#########------------]

Postby JayD » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:01 am

JayD

Postby Kimbo » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:18 am

Well done JayD,
Nice Vid too BTW :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby JayD » Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:24 pm

We ran this little girl the other night and she was putting 94-95% kicked her off a a twenty minute reflux, drew off our fores n heads refluxed her for another twenty drew off 250 mls then refluxed for five then another 250 mls of 94-95% this went ont for two and a half liters before she started to fall from from the mid nineties.

She worked like a dream constant temps, insulated column of course, once we put it into reflux you could either time five minutes, or just watch the temp gauge slowly drop while it was sending the heavier liquids back into the pit. Extremely happy with our newly cleaned Tinkerbell. Thanx to all that helped with build with encouragment,pictures to guide by and ofcoures inspiration in the form of others building beutiful working stills built by members on this forum. You have taken my understanding further in a couple of weeks than I could ever have imagined. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
JayD

Postby crow » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:57 pm

jeez how did I miss this whole thread nice work BTW jayD
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby googe » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:17 am

:text-imwithstupid:
croweater wrote:jeez how did I miss this whole thread nice work BTW jayD
googe

Next

Return to Reflux Stills