Pure Distilling vs SS T500

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby Brauer » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:07 pm

Which is the better of these stills? The Pure Distilling or the Still Spirits Turbo 500. I am retired and do not have the facilities to make my own. I have been looking at both types, a few years ago I did own the pure distilling and for no reason I sold it. Now that I am retired I find to buy Spirits is too expensive and with new developments it seems to have some fun again. :D
Brauer

equipment: Turbo 500

Re: Pure Distilling vs SS T500

Postby caveman » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:48 pm

Hi brauer,
What is it that you like to drink mate it may have some infuence on which still as well as time you have and room ect ect ....
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby Brauer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:03 am

Mainly Rum, Bourbon and whiskey. I also like to make Liqueurs for friends that like to visit such as Sambucca. 8-)
Brauer

Postby caveman » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:11 am

cool mate have you considered a pot still . A pot still can be used to strip and spirit runs to get sum good taisting rum and whiskey
caveman

equipment: 3" macStill boka
2" pot still with shotgun condencer (the swan with hotdog ) custom by mcstill
105L custom built s/s boiler with sight glass/fillport ,thermoport
Aces high thumper plate bubbler ( long term project)
building custom mobile boiler bench

Postby Brauer » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:18 am

No not really, worked in the Refineries and know a bit about reflux columns on a larger scale of course.
Brauer

Postby crow » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:18 am

Hi Brauer to answer your question just going on the posts here and elsewhere I'd have to say the ultra pure is miles in front . It has no synthetic shit in it and most users report consistently achieving azeotrope (95.6% ABV) . There have been numerous problems reported with the t500 , some of them like leaks ect have been on going for yrs and still not rectified , I dont know of one report of problems with the ultra pure still . Ok with that question answered I'd like to say 2 things , firstly there are quite a number of still manufacturer's on here and you will get an even better product for much cheaper from them . 2ndly You can get a light white rum out of an ultra pure type still but for a full flavored rum I think you would be looking at something like a pot still. It is my opinion for the beverages you mentioned it might be worth you looking at both stills (pot still is quite cheap to get) , very likely you could get them setup to fit on the same boiler
:twocents-mytwocents:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby NotBenStiller » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:59 am

Hi Brauer,
I can't comment on the Ultrapure.
My T500 however came with the added bonus of silicone sealant blocking the vapour path - on the first test run the still became pressurized - if i hadn't have noticed I could have gotten a jet blast of steam to the face - i hope Still Spirits sales guys experience such for their shithouse quality control.

For rum, bourbon, whiskey a pot still will do you much better than either of those HBS ones.
Even with postage from a reputable still builder here in WA a pot will be cheaper than either.
NotBenStiller

equipment: 3" DR bok....

Postby The Stig » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:46 pm

Ive had no problems with my T500 at all and I know a lot of others that have never had problems.
Having said that, my son bought a T500 that leaked the LHBs swapped it for the pure distilling one and it leaked as well, he then bought a McStill still and hasnt looked back since :handgestures-thumbupleft:
The Stig
Site Nerd

equipment: Only the Best will Do.
Mac4 SSG Bubbles of Joy

Postby wedwards » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:15 pm

I got the pure distilling one and have been happy with it for years. If you want to make good whiskey, bourbon, rum, and the occasional neutral, you would prob be best going with a pot still from mcstill (which I just purchased myself even though I still have the reflux still).....prob cost less too
wedwards

equipment: Reflux still

Postby djmurphy87 » Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:21 pm

Have u thought about getting one from some of the users on this forum they are building some great stills and they are always on hand to help out with more and tech support. WineGlass has a solid bubbler that u can customise and www.5stardistilling.com.au is like still lego with so many options. and mcstill can build great reflux stills as well as pot stills I was going to buy a t 500 until I joined this forum
djmurphy87

equipment: Reflux

Postby Brauer » Fri Oct 26, 2012 10:05 pm

Finally did my 1st run with the T500 and I was very satisfied. I got 4.75 litres @ 96% and no problems with leaks :-D . I did subsitute the copper saddles with a wad of copper ribbon. I used about 100 litres of cooling water over about 3 hours.
Brauer

Postby evildrakey » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:29 pm

I'm giving up on my T500 reflux tower... Damn thing leaks constantly and needs babying for temp the whole way though. I'm also very unhappy with the build quality...

Can the ultrapure reflux head be mounted on the t500 boiler unit?
evildrakey

equipment: Turbo Still 500. Old, manky potstill (not used)

Postby crow » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:41 pm

yes but it would be cheaper to build one or get on built, like all commercial stills the tower is to short , that can be easily fixed but I reckon for less money you could get better custom made and like nearly all commerial stills the take off valve is set to be fool proof (highly restricted) so most annoying for those owners that are not fools ;-)
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Return to Reflux Stills