Jim's VM/LM build

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Jim's VM/LM build

Postby jim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:22 pm

I did my first run today. 30L of 14% VodkaStar turbo. I reckoned that while waiting for my wash to come to a boil, I would work out the cooling lines. I was about halfway finished the lines when I felt a cold mist on my face. I was getting product squirting out of the top of my condensor.

I turned off the gas and finished the lines. I turned on the reflux condensor, and turned on the gas. I had read about folks only needing a "trickle" of cooling water, mine needed a bit more than that, it was a pretty steady stream, the condensor gate valve probably 1/2 open. It was using more water than I really wanted, but at least I was getting reflux. I let it equalise for a half hour, and started taking heads from the LM port. The needle valve is very fiddly to get right, and the lack of immediate feedback is frusterating. I would twitch the valve, and 30 seconds later I would see the result, usually either a gush of fluid, or fully shut off. Eventually I got it where I wanted it, 2 or 3 drops per second. I filled up my 150ml curry paste jar, and turned off the LM.

I let it equalise for a while, then cracked open the VM gate valve. Nothing happened, so I opened it more. A HUGE gush came out, completely missing my collection vessel and splashing all over the picnic table. It was that delayed reaction thing again. It was actually pretty easy to dial in the proper amount of output though, with that big gate valve.

I still wasnt happy about the amount of cooling water I was using, so I tried reducing the water a little bit. :violence-smack:
The water coming out wasnt that warm, I could comfortably hold my hand in it. As I was pondering the lack of heat in my outflow, I felt that familiar cold mist.

Yea, I got the ethanol waterfall again. Streaming down my column, running under my insulation. I quickly cranked the water back up, but it was too late. It ran down the side of the keg, and caught fire. I turned off the gas, but the fire hung out on top of my keg for a few seconds, then shot up under my insulation, melting and burning it. I sprayed it all down, and eventually put it out with the hot side of my cooling hose.

I've quit for the day. Need to reassess the situation, let the adrenaline fade.

Im gonna give my pot still head a go next time. Not so many things to go wrong, only one condensor. I dont really even like neutral spirits, prefer rum.

I need a better reflux condensor for the VM rig. This one sucks. What kind of condensor is best for the top of a VM rig? I need one with lots of knockdown. I think part of the problem was the regulator I was using made it so easy to dump heat into the system. I was probably running about 90kPA of gas at the time. What pressure should I be running my gas at?
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:40 pm

Holy shit thats a bad day in the office :scared-eek:

Don't have a gauge on my reg but you might be running it too hard?

I have a piece of shit condenser compared to what you have in the pics at the start of the thread.

When you say you are using too much water, how much water were you using?

And for the people reading this thread, this is exactly why you do not leave your still unattended, if you lost that water supply for whatever reason :angry-extinguishflame: :angry-fire: :angry-screaming:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby jim » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:55 pm

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BOC-6000-LPG ... 1025324286

As you can see, the dial goes to 600kPA. Running at less than 50 feels like you are driving a Ferrari in first gear. The control is beautiful. The three ring burner had no problem running up to about 120, higher than that it ran funny.

By the end there, I was running with the cooling gate valve wide open, the only restriction to flow was the 1/4 tubing it was flowing through. Probably 2L a minute?
Last edited by jim on Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim

Postby Sam. » Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:58 pm

2L a minute is pretty damn slow.

That's probably how I get a away with my shitty condenser as I recirculate water through a rain water tank with a submersible grew water pump from bunning :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Might be something to look into :whistle:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby vooharmy » Mon Nov 12, 2012 7:50 am

Im glad you are ok jim, that sounded scary!

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk 2
vooharmy

equipment: 2" swan pot still
3" vm\lm hybrid
50l keg boiler \w dual element
panda control box
current project - 5 plate 4" bubbler

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:06 am

Glad you survived you baptism of fire, it does knock your confidence around and takes a little time before you deal with it. If you need more cooling coil up some of your water feed hose in the sink and throw in some ice to further increase the cooling. It does take a little bit of time for your fine adjustments to show at the business end of your still, in time you will learn how and when to adjust things to get the results you want. This episode goes into your book of learning. Good luck.
J
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:07 am

Glad everything turned out ok and you wernt injured :handgestures-thumbupleft: it's werid you didn't find that leak on the cleaning run?. Good luck next time.
googe

Postby jim » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:14 am

It wasnt a leak. My reflux condensor couldn't handle the heat, and the vapor/liquid escaped out the top. Using the HD calculators, I figure I was running at about 8000-10,000W judging by the way I boiled 30L of wash in 12 to 15 minutes.

Next time, after achieving boil, I will turn the heat way down while equilibrating the column. I might turn it up a LITTLE when I open the VM takeoff, as I will be able to split the work between two condensors.
jim

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:18 am

Doesnt sound like cooling is the problem to me, well not if it's raining distillate... if it's raining distillate out the top of the column the coil has done it's job, otherwise it would be vapor.

You've choked and flooded the column & it's blown liquid out the top, now fucken slow down and start from scratch by reading the TUTORIALS in the workbench section.

Do not proceed until you at least have a basic understanding of what's going on inside the column, and for fuck sake stop being so slap happy about it.

We've already had one member in the last week end up with serious burns, we dont need another.

:handgestures-thumbdown:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:22 am

jim wrote:It wasnt a leak. My reflux condensor couldn't handle the heat, and the vapor/liquid escaped out the top. Using the HD calculators, I figure I was running at about 8000-10,000W judging by the way I boiled 30L of wash in 12 to 15 minutes.

Without the cooling lines set up?

If your trying to rush everything this hobby is not for you mate,

:angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby jim » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:27 am

McStill wrote:Without the cooling lines set up?

If your trying to rush everything this hobby is not for you mate,

:angry-banghead:

Very true, in hindsight it was a pretty dim bulb move. :oops:

I was expecting it to take between half an hour to an hour to bring it to a boil. I had a few good lessons learned, will certainly take it SLOW next time.
jim

Postby MacStill » Mon Nov 12, 2012 9:40 am

That's not the only issue I can see mate :angry-banghead:

You really need to re assess your whole procedure before you start again.

Have a safety plan in place before you start.

Cooling hooked up and working before you fire it up.

I need a better reflux condensor for the VM rig. This one sucks. What kind of condensor is best for the top of a VM rig?

8 TO 10KW is just crazy. your coil is fine... your still will run very nice on 3kw

Mate, after re reading your post I can see so much wrong it's scary....

I just cant think of anything nice to say so I'll just shut up :angry-banghead:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

Postby JayD » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:11 am

Jeez Mac I think you said it all...showering distillate, fark I missed that...last time I answer a post before I have woken up properly
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:25 am

I missed that to jayd, thought it was water cause he said about not finishing the cooling lines. We'll said Mac, some poeple migh get upset hearing what you said but better than being burnt to death :scared-eek:
googe

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills