my CM idea

Reflux still design and discussion

my CM idea

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:39 am

Hey all, as you know I made a 3 way condenser recently and it's a piece of shit as a stripper. I was sitting in the shed contemplating the distilling universe and thought hmmmmm I could use that for a Lm still :think: my thinking is if i have the inner and outer cooling tubes running for full reflux and then shut either one down to start collection and have a tap to control water flow. also, the condenser is 600 long, what height column would I need to suit?. Thought?.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Re: my Lm idea

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:35 am

Cm not Lm!!! 8-} would you mind changing the heading please mister admin man. Thanks
googe

Re: my Lm idea

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 2:14 pm

googe wrote:Cm not Lm!!! 8-} would you mind changing the heading please mister admin man. Thanks

No! you can live with your fuckups :teasing-neener:
as for opinions, you will be constantly adjusting the water flow to ensure efficient reflux,
To me, CM stills are a pain in the arse. :angry-banghead: ( please chime in anyone who disagrees ;-) )
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Re: my CM idea

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:11 pm

That sounds very much like my missus kimbo :-P . What type is easiest to run with the best product produced?.
googe

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 4:27 pm

googe wrote:That sounds very much like my missus kimbo :-P . What type is easiest to run with the best product produced?.

CM :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 5:27 pm

See, that's why I want to do one ;-) :-P
googe

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:43 pm

McStill wrote:
googe wrote:That sounds very much like my missus kimbo :-P . What type is easiest to run with the best product produced?.

CM :teasing-neener:

:text-imwithstupid:
A VM is about the easiest to run (for neutral) but a bit on the slow side.
A LM would be next with ease of operation and out put speed.
I built a double reducer bok with a vm take off on the side, the packed column is removable so i can run as a pot still.
I was a very good allrounder and i would recommend it to anyone. :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Care to share any pics kimbo? .
googe

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:34 pm

the finished product.JPG

This is a 2.5" Bok with a 2" reduced section.

I was just an adaptation of this one that McStill recommended to me when i was a young fella.
I just put a branch, valve and leibig on the reduced section :handgestures-thumbupleft:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 9:49 pm

Nice mate :-) . Whats the idea of having a vm on it as well if they perform much the same?
googe

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:05 pm

I find that i use the LM to bleed the fores and heads, then put back into reflux for a bit.
Then i open up the VM valve and let it do its thing. this rig will pull 96% every time and the stop producing once it hits the tails.
All i have to do is change bottles :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:13 pm

Thanks kimbo, i really like the sound of it!. Got me thinking more now!!!. Thanks again mate, i appreciate the help :-) .
googe

Postby MacStill » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:16 pm

"My" CM idea :D

P2291975.JPG

:teasing-neener: :teasing-tease: :teasing-neener:
MacStill
Lifetime Member

equipment: Anything I choose :P

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:28 pm

Its got blg holes in the side and in the boiler, will leak like a siv!!! , melt it down and start again :teasing-neener:
googe

Postby Kimbo » Mon Oct 29, 2012 10:30 pm

Googe(can I say that) :laughing-rolling:
Building is addictive, once i built that thing it was the ducks nuts and served me very well, but it wasn't long before i (Like many others) copied that bubbler that Mac just posted. Now i can happily say "that's my CM too!" :mrgreen:
Dont rush into anything yet, relax and who knows what the future may bring ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:39 pm

Cheers kimbo, your very right about the addiction!!, i dont feel im rushing into things, there's people here that are light years ahead of me and have been in the game shorter. It's frustrating the hell out of me to be honest!!. I have alot of trouble interpreting words into a build and that's my biggest problem. anyway sob sob ha.
googe

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:20 am

Ok, im building a cm after much reading and thinking, I know people say there hard to run but it's just something I really like the look of and im attracted to the water management side of stilling. Now the questions :roll: .

Does the speed of getting equilibrium in the column matter?. Eg : will running it hard to get equilibrium upset the different levels of vapors in the column.

Would this affect how an inline Thumper operates also.

What valves are the best for cm management?.

Would a submersible pump like the ones from bunnings be good enough to keep stable pressure for
The management side of things ?. I have one of these pumps and a tank for my pot still and seems to be stable.
That's all I can think of for now but there will be more im sure ;-) . Thanks for any feedback or help :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

Cheers
googe

my CM idea

Postby Sam. » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:13 pm

Are you planning on having an in line thumper on your CM reflux still?
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby Kimbo » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:42 pm

googe wrote:Ok, im building a cm after much reading and thinking, I know people say there hard to run but it's just something I really like the look of and im attracted to the water management side of stilling. Now the questions :roll: .

Does the speed of getting equilibrium in the column matter?. Eg : will running it hard to get equilibrium upset the different levels of vapors in the column. Yes, running it too hard will make getting equilibrium very difficult. Once you are at temp, back off the heat as much as you canSee Jim's LM/VM thread to see what can happen if you run too hard

Would this affect how an inline Thumper operates also.Dunno

What valves are the best for cm management?.Needle

Would a submersible pump like the ones from bunnings be good enough to keep stable pressure for
The management side of things ?.yes I have one of these pumps and a tank for my pot still and seems to be stable.
That's all I can think of for now but there will be more im sure ;-) . Thanks for any feedback or help :handgestures-thumbupleft: .

Cheers
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

Postby googe » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:56 pm

not sure yet sam, why do you ask mate ?. Thanks kimbo, I set them questions out like that just for you, I like direct simple answers ;-) :handgestures-thumbupleft: . Im surprised you said needle valve, I thought it would be gate valve.!. I know about the slowing it down once up to temp, was just curious about if I could get to temp faster, thanks for clearing it up.
googe

Next

Return to Reflux Stills