Copper mesh screen for column packing?

Reflux still design and discussion

Copper mesh screen for column packing?

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Fri May 06, 2011 10:45 pm

I scored 2 rolls of copper mesh screens off ebay, looked like they might work for packing in my planned column.

They are 108cm by 78 cm.

As far as the actual size of each link in the mesh, they are larger than ss scrubbers or the traditional structured copper mesh so may not result in as purer spirit (hetp info on the hd site) , but I jagged them both for $61 bucks so I reckon its worth a go as they will last for ever.

What do you reflux stillers reckon? :?:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bradsgonetrekkin

equipment: 18 gallon (80litre) ss keg boiler with 2400w and 1200w elements
65-50-35-19mm copper pot head/ stripper
2m high 65-50mm copper vapour management column with cross flow condensor head
630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Re: Copper mesh screen for column packing?

Postby maheel » Fri May 06, 2011 11:46 pm

were they fire screens or what ?

interesting

you could always make a suit of chain mail and go jousting :), how much were the jousting sticks ?
maheel

Postby R-sole » Sat May 07, 2011 5:38 am

If you have trouble sourcing copper structured mesh cheaply contact me. Mine works out at $4 a metre rather than the outrageous prices the brew shops do ;)

I don't think that screen will present enough surface area, although it would be damn excellent for something like a false bottom for your boiler, a gin basket, a grain filter etc 8-)
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby reknaw » Sat May 07, 2011 6:44 am

I take 90% of my packing out of my reflux column to detune it when I run rum and whiskey to get a lower abv and flavour. What you have there would be probably be perfect for that. It'ld be interesting to see what abv you get using it, probably not to good for neutral but you may be onto something for your rums and whiskey if you don't have a seperate column.

I would love to play around with that, good find.

5Star PM sent about that copper mesh you have.
reknaw

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Sat May 07, 2011 7:32 am

Thanks for the feedback guys.

Yep Maheel I think the seller said it may have been a fire screen but hadn't been used, was sitting around in a shed for years. No jousting sticks but I think they were also selling an antique dagger!!

I'll clean it up when I get it, give it a try and see if it works.

5Star thanks I might take you up on your mesh if this stuff isn't a winner. I always get confused with the actual amounts needed for the structured copper mesh as I haven't used it before and the main suppliers seem to have differing info on how far this stuff will go. Do you have a rough idea on how many metres you need to pack say a 1.4m 50mm or 65mm column?
bradsgonetrekkin

630mm long 3/4 over 1/2 inch leibig and 32mm outer, 1/2 inch inner 'double barrel' interchangable condensors

Postby R-sole » Sat May 07, 2011 10:59 am

50mm is about 1.1 to 1.3m a roll. the mesh is around 120mm wide. so to do 1200mm takes ten rolls. I could do a roll to see on the 65mm pipe if you order.
R-sole

equipment: Keg based pot stiller. 3" vm for occasionally making product for macerations and redistillation.

Postby bradsgonetrekkin » Sat May 07, 2011 11:40 am

Thanks 5Star for the info, thats gives me a good idea what to allow for. I'll let you know for sure once I finally get the new still built and trialled.
bradsgonetrekkin

Return to Reflux Stills