Can some one check this

Reflux still design and discussion

Re: Can some one check this

Postby Linny » Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:54 pm

Well the parts finally rocked up for my VM still.... made a bottle of SOCO to entice my mate(boiler maker) to weld the SS for the column, and i finally took out that valve on the POT still. ill post pics when finished. so its all coming together ,,,, Ive stopped putting washes down this week because i thought i was moving and the weather here is BS !!! 42*C to 25*C in 2 hours , the forecast here is all over the shop and i dont know if its worth it to put down even a TPW. Any newcastle guys having issues ??
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:36 pm

Hey linny.
Sounds like its all coming together :handgestures-thumbupleft:

Yeah the weathers fucked up here near Coffs.It was 50c in the shade here.
Was just thinking the same about how many fellas will be stopping brewing cause if the heat.
Missus has gone away for a few weeks so was planing on a batch of Rum .That ain't hapnin ~x(
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Linny » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:41 pm

yeah this is my first summer homestillin, so i wasnt sure .... but i figured i was right. i have a UJSM that finished that i managed to sneak into the laundry LOL , might run it tomorrow through the VM since its only the first GEN
Linny

equipment: 4 Plate 3" Glass Bubbler - 50L Boiler
50L BIAB Temp Controlled Mash Tun

3" Carter Head Soon to Come

Postby Yummyrum » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:48 pm

Not that I've done UJSM but ,that would be a pain ,cause you'll miss the sour mashing stage by stopping now.
Figuring that if you're going to run it through a VM that sour mash flavours probably aren't going to be an issue as most will be stripped out anyway.
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby kelbygreen » Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:51 pm

I find it hard in this weather to, But since I do beer I have 2 fermenting fridges. My 30lts fit in fine and 60lt will fit but I lent a tile on it when I drained to the boiler and fucker fell off the bench, smashed the handle and had 2lts of yeast over the floor, fridges and other crap :angry-banghead: so hard to remove from the fridge now

I can ferment at a temp I like and I think like beer if you ferment at a decent temp and consistent you will produce a better product. The higher you ferment the more fusel alcohol will be formed and in beer this makes hang overs, So in distilling you will prob end up with more heads but so your keep might be less. As I say I think the better the ferment you can have the better the keep and bigger the keep will be.

Maybe its BS with stilling but its not a drama for me
kelbygreen

equipment: 3" pot

Previous

Return to Reflux Stills