a thought.

Reflux still design and discussion

a thought.

Postby googe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Hey all, I remember reading in the complete distiller I think it was, where they put thermometers all the way down the column of a still to see where the different separations were occurring. I was wondering if someone did that and then had maybe a vm style takoff at the area where hearts are indicated by temp, would it be possible to take hearts and nothing else?. 8-}
googe

Re: a thought.

Postby Sam. » Thu Nov 29, 2012 1:59 pm

I suppose you could but as you take off the alcohol that point would move.

I would say its easier to take off the fores/heads then you have the hearts at the top anyway. This would be why its the most common way I guess :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I believe they do what your talking about in big refineries where they want different chemicals from the same tower :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Re: a thought.

Postby googe » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:28 pm

Cheers mate, I was wondering about the levels moving also, I thought the vapor force might keep them on top and bellow cause there's no horizontAl force only vertical. Might have to have a look into how refineries do it :think: . Thanks mate.
googe

Return to Reflux Stills