China water still conversion

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby wissy » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:14 pm

Hi All, my buddy has a water distiller from china with 220v element all SS with condenser. It is quite well built but he wants to make it into more like a reflux still. Plan is to add more layers above the pot. Maybe all glass with copper plates. We are wondering if anyone has altered any of these stills or if anyone has any advice on what would be best for this still. He is looking at at his own personal whisky.

Any advice would be great.

Wissy
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
wissy

equipment: Reflux all the way

Re: China water still conversion

Postby crow » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:21 pm

Can't see much of it but my guess is fuck it off and build or get built a new still and fit it to the boiler :handgestures-thumbupleft:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Urrazeb » Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:35 pm

You wouldn't want a reflux for whiskey, that's a pot stills job.

Looks like a large opening at the top, maybe reduce it to 2-3in and do as crow says, build a new head to fit. Might be alot of messing around to convert it
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Re: China water still conversion

Postby kiwikeg » Fri Dec 14, 2012 6:40 pm

my key peice of advice is this- GET A REGESTERED ELECTRICIAN TO CHECK ALL THE WIRING!!!
I imported a egg incubator via ###### which is where i assume your mate got his water distiler from or somewhere similer.
I checked the incubator out it seemed okay.
i ran it once with low cost eggs as test worked fine
loaded it up with several hundred dollers potentual worth of eggs
ran it same as before one morning i was running late and smelt a bad smell.
stupidly open garage door to see whats up- flash over fire electrical fault in incubator had set the place alight
killed mains power started bucket chain saved garage
no insurance payout as non compliant to nz standards wiring etc
I walked away okay with a minor dent in my pocket and some new scars but it cound have been so much worse if I hadnt been running late..
DONT TRUST THAT CHINESE WIRING... :violence-stickwhack:
kiwikeg

equipment: Fsd bubbler

Return to Reflux Stills