If I'm doing a feints run do I need to take foreshots again?

Reflux still design and discussion

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

I'm running all my heads and tails from the last 6 runs of my reflux still tomorrow. All runs were TPW.

Now I took foreshots every time - do they accumulate? Would I need to do fores again on these feints or can I just start cuts without worrying?

What's the safety factor here? Am I going overkill or is it a *must* to take fores every time the reflux runs?
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
50L keg boiler with 2 x 2400w elements
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Re: If I'm doing a feints run do I need to take foreshots ag

Postby crow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:23 pm

well I reckon I would, a small amount of the compounds that make up fores would be in your heads I would think (unless you made very wide fore's cuts). There should be less fore's but I would be pretty surprised if there was no acetone present at all ;-)
Lets face it the cost of these neutral washes is so little its just not worth risking drinking shit or mixing fore's with heads for a few cents. I sometimes wonder if neutral faints are really worth keeping at all but that's one step to far for this tight arse
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby Sam. » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:39 pm

:text-+1: :text-imwithstupid:
Sam.
Lifetime Member

equipment: Original FSD 5 plate 4 inch modular bubbler SSG with hand crafted plates and parrot by Mac.
18 Gal boiler.
2 x 2400W elements and power controller.

Postby BackyardBrewer » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:53 pm

Thanks, yes last feints run I did I made sure I took more fores to be safe. It's a little about being a tight arse and a little about not being able to bear turfing perfectly good booze that just needs another burst through the reflux.

It's annoying that I can't pull faster at the end of the run on the pure distilling rig, it would be nice to have more control so I cold open her up and run long into the tails and capture more feints.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

equipment: Solid Copper Love Machine (Plated column bubbler), hand made with love by a forum member
PURE distilling Reflux still + a tonne of homebrew gear amassed over 10 years of brewing.

Postby crow » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:40 pm

BackyardBrewer wrote:Thanks, yes last feints run I did I made sure I took more fores to be safe. It's a little about being a tight arse and a little about not being able to bear turfing perfectly good booze that just needs another burst through the reflux.

It's annoying that I can't pull faster at the end of the run on the pure distilling rig, it would be nice to have more control so I cold open her up and run long into the tails and capture more feints.

sounds like ya need a needle valve same as me :think: hey maybe i could get one of mac and kimbo could bring it over save on postage, (more :think: ) say what burb are you in?
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:54 am

Wow really obviously needed fores pulled out. Just opened the tap and you can smell the acetone a mile away.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby crow » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:04 pm

Just re read this and nearly wet myself, by tight arse I was referring to me :laughing-rolling:
crow

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:34 pm

I figure I may as well run long into the tails: the still is on, the wash is up to temp, the water is running, my cuts jars are out.

I might as well keep running into the tails and re-run it. It's like 80% abv. That's a waste not to salvage in my book.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:36 pm

croweater wrote:Just re read this and nearly wet myself, by tight arse I was referring to me :laughing-rolling:

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling:
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby Linno » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:14 pm

Gday BB

I always take foreshots on my fients runs, i usually take about first jar - 500ml and turf it cause if its not fores its heads anyway. i dont keep any heads or tails from a neutral feints run, it might be wasteful but I just wonder how much good stuff could possibly be left after a third distillation (strip run, normal run, fients run) of using the heads and tails. opinions?
Linno

equipment: FSD Mac 4 version 1 #001
4" single cap, 4 plate SS Bubbler,
400mm SS packed extension

Postby crow » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:17 pm

Yep I run my reflux down to 20 or until the output is not worth the bother, which should have been about 80% the other night. Took an hr and a half to get the tails from 80 to 70% and then a min or to to drop to 40%, all tails and less than 600ml so yeah should have stopped at 80%when the output dropped. Feel for this twice now won't be going for a hat trick
Sent from my piece a shit HTC using one finger tap on microscopic buttons
crow

Postby Urrazeb » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:21 pm

yep thats what I do! :handgestures-thumbupleft: I take fores on every run regardless. usually about 300ml. as u said Linno, if its not fores its dirty heads anyway.
Urrazeb

equipment: Column & pot

Postby BackyardBrewer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:25 pm

Linno wrote:Gday BB

I always take foreshots on my fients runs, i usually take about first jar - 500ml and turf it cause if its not fores its heads anyway. i dont keep any heads or tails from a neutral feints run, it might be wasteful but I just wonder how much good stuff could possibly be left after a third distillation (strip run, normal run, fients run) of using the heads and tails. opinions?

I have about 10L of 40% and I'm making harsh cuts - 100-150ml. I've chucked about 200ml of fores. I've got maybe 2 jars of 150ml heads. Not sure about jar #3 but jars 4 onwards are smelling pretty good.

As soon as I smell a whiff of tails then off she goes.

I agree, no point keeping tails from tails. Not worth it.
BackyardBrewer
Site Donor

Return to Reflux Stills