vertical reflux

Reflux still design and discussion

vertical reflux

Postby googe » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:02 pm

Hey all, what do you think of this idea?. If you cant understand my writing, please ask.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Re: vertical reflux

Postby emptyglass » Sat Jan 05, 2013 10:11 pm

What do I think of the idea?
First idea is to get a ruler.

Second, your first picture wont work, but I see by the second one you got it sussed (stills dont work sideways)

Third, you might want to add somewhere to collect the product, or its going to be a long night churning all that alc back into the boiler, without anything to drink.

Still, keep the thinking up. Theres potential.
emptyglass

Postby bt1 » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:13 am

howdy,

+EG pts re collection

So no plates just total vapour volume hitting the dephlag= no separation so pot still in effect?

dephlag is there to produce a forced reflux if you like, selective through pass so you can control abv/quality.. it seems lost here as it deals with total vapour volume.

where you intending to get cooling to inner tube

bt1
bt1

equipment: 2 x Glass Bubblers, 5 plate 89mm & 6 plate 110mm
4" 6 plate copper bubbler, 500mm copper packed section
Several pots, custom boiler
14 keg rotating brew setup, fermentation & dispenser fridges.

Postby googe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:33 am

Your a cunny funt empty :teasing-neener: Dont stress about the takeoff, lets pretend it a cm for arguements sake. No cooling to inner tube bt, just tons of small holes for vapor to go through and refine the decending reflux. Holes will be in the inner tube in this pic, the inner tube will be open at the bottom and caped at the top to trap reising vapor and force it out throght the holes. These hairbrained ideas are hard to explain :teasing-blah:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
googe

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:39 am

my gut feeling with this Googe is your trying to re invent the wheel...if you gunna spend a shyte load of time drillin the holes I think time be better spent making up plates and drillin them..imo :teasing-tease:
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby crow » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:40 am

the hair brained part of it is 8-} the vapour is lighter than the atmosphere and goes up the condensate is heaver and goes down. They don't work sideways :angry-banghead:
crow

equipment: ultra pure reflux still and a 4" 4 plate MacStill built copper bubble cap column and a 500mm scoria packed rectifying module

Postby JayD » Sun Jan 06, 2013 10:42 am

croweater wrote:the hair brained part of it is 8-} the vapour is lighter than the atmosphere and goes up the condensate is heaver and goes down . They[size=150] don't[/size] work sideways :angry-banghead:

lol's back to Googes frist picy..and like EG implied depends which way you look at it..lol separation 101...
JayD

equipment: JayD's Copper Worx

Postby googe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:07 pm

Fuck me, am i speaking english? :laughing-rolling:
googe

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:17 pm

googe wrote:Fuck me, am i speaking english? :laughing-rolling:

Que voulez-vous dire Googe? Nous ne pouvons pas parler anglais, mais vous pouvez lire des photos et des images fixes ne fonctionnent pas sur le côté comme dans votre premier message. Baise-moi c'est trop de trous à dril anyway.haha
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby googe » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:34 pm

Lowndsey wrote:

Que voulez-vous dire Googe? Nous ne pouvons pas parler anglais, mais vous pouvez lire des photos et des images fixes ne fonctionnent pas sur le côté comme dans votre premier message. Baise-moi c'est trop de trous à dril anyway.haha

Its not on its side!! ha. And yes lots of holes :teasing-neener:
googe

Postby Cane Toad » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:48 pm

:laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: :laughing-rolling: You slay me Lowndsey
Cane Toad

equipment: where's my football :(

Postby Lowndsey » Sun Jan 06, 2013 3:49 pm

googe wrote:
Lowndsey wrote:

Its not on its side!! ha. And yes lots of holes :teasing-neener:

hahaha gold. :laughing-rolling: You found google translate too :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Lowndsey

equipment: 2" Bokka

Postby emptyglass » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:05 pm

Ok, we have learnt that stills don't work sideways, so googe must be sideways. That would make the still vertical :teasing-tease: .

When you say cm googe, you mean the top condenser will be where the product exits the column?
Ommited for clarity, I guess.
So, if I got this right, you are going to boil some 10ish% wash, pass it up through the centre, through the million holes to the outer tube, where it will rise to the condenser and repeat the cycle. Any reflux will drain back to the boiler, right? So then it will go to the dephlagmator (de-fag) and you will reduce coolant till you start getting product out, yes?

I beleive what you sketched is just a hybrid pot still with a complete knock down condenser.
Hybrid being a pot still with forced relux.

You need the fluid bath on the plates, so that there is something to purify vapor, and give the different compounds somewhere to be, before you take off what you want :think:
Did you have a read of Mac's link?
emptyglass

Postby Kimbo » Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:42 am

Just remember, the vapour will always take the path of least resistance ;-)
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby googe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:34 pm

Correct empty, the descending condensate will pass down between the inner and outer tube being refined by rising vapor passing through the holes in the inner tube. Sounds to complicated to be a viable idea anyway 8-} havnt read the link yet, hate reading to much ha, I will though.

Hold the phone!!!, which link do you mean exactly empty? :think:
googe

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:29 pm

It was in after another one of your comments about not wanting to read shit, in another thread. Not sure which thread I read it, its hard to keep a track of your posts mate. I'll see if I can find it, but it told you all you need to know.
emptyglass

Postby emptyglass » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:31 pm

Was in bubbler chat.
McStill wrote:Let me know if your answers are not in here viewtopic.php?f=47&t=1845#p24481 if not I'll find you some other material to read :D
emptyglass

Postby googe » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:34 pm

Don't worry about it thanks empty, all good.
googe

Return to Reflux Stills