VM/CM mod

Reflux still design and discussion

VM/CM mod

Postby jim » Thu Jan 17, 2013 11:22 pm

Hello,
I was reading Scarecrow's thread for a flavored packed column, and figured it wouldnt be hard to mod my VM still to be able to do the same thing. I sealed off the top, and added a U of 3/4 to use as a safety feature. Shown below.
EDIT: The U is filled with water to form a vapor lock

DSC_0005.JPG

Now I have fully adjustable VM.
I can do full reflux with the VM valve closed and reflux valve open.
I can run as regular VM with the gate open
I can then make more vapor come out the VM valve by adjusting the cooling flow to the reflux condensor.
If any pressure builds up in the column, I will be notified by WATER coming out of the vapor lock before I start getting ethanol steam. In any case, I cant build up dangerous pressures in the column with this setup.

For rum or whiskey, I reflux for a while on a reduced packed column, then draw out the foreshots/heads at a slow trickle, then open the VM valve, and reduce reflux to a trickle.

As for results:
Ive done a rum run on 500mm (4 rolls) packing and came out with ~90% pretty flavorsome stuff.

Ive done a UJ on 375mm packing and it came out with an initial 85%, but steadily declined. However this was only a 8% 25L wash, so there wasnt much alcohol to hold the temps steady.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Re: VM/CM mod

Postby Yummyrum » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:25 pm

jim that's a clever way to get round the potential bomb effect.Many have tried this but with two valves :naughty: :naughty: :naughty:

I see you call it CM when not refluxing in VM mode but it would be more like a Pot still with a packed column .
Or do you have a CM reflux condenser under it as well ?

Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Yummyrum

equipment: Did use Still Spirits Reflux
Now use 50l Keg with Pot head for Rum and Neutral stripping runs on gas .
LM/VM head with 1m packed 2" on Still Spirits boiler for Neutrals.

Postby Kimbo » Fri Jan 18, 2013 6:53 pm

Nice work mate, :handgestures-thumbupleft:
Are you Luthier too are ya?
Kimbo
Lifetime Member

equipment: 4" bubbler with a 6"inline thumper

Postby jim » Fri Jan 18, 2013 11:23 pm

Yummyrum wrote:
I see you call it CM when not refluxing in VM mode but it would be more like a Pot still with a packed column .
Or do you have a CM reflux condenser under it as well ?

Looking good :handgestures-thumbupleft:

I guess I call it CM when adjusting the cooling water to the reflux condensor, I am able to keep enough reflux going with a trickle of cooling water to avoid it acting completely like a pot still. With a VM there is a very limited range of reflux adjustment, with this I can adjust from total reflux to no reflux which is more along the lines of a CM. I guess what makes it different from CM is that the vapor never travels past the reflux condensor, instead it "shortcuts" out the VM valve.

Kimbo wrote:Are you Luthier too are ya?

I'm trying, I have the body cut out, I'm a bit stalled on the neck. I want to make a wandoo fretboard, but it keeps warping when I slice off a 6mm thick board.
jim

equipment: Modular 3" diameter VM/LM/pot still.

Return to Reflux Stills